Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my hids professionally installed in February on my 2012 sxt. Recently they won't turn on at all and if they do a small bump and they would turn offf.. I looked under the hood and found a yellow fuse connected to the battery melted. The shop I had them installed at is closed today so I'm just looking for some info as to what the problem may be before I take it to them tomorrow. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
my money would be on a bad connection at that fuse block. HID headlights shouldn't melt a 20A fuse (each ballast should draw 3-5A, IIRC). If there was not any other issues with the setup, I would solder in a new fuse block and call it a day. You could put in a larger fuse also, but probably no more than 30A. Anyone else with aftermarket lights want to chime in?

Reactions: JstBlazeNc

·
Registered
53 Posts
There has been threads concerning HID kit installations, but it's worth mentioning again: make sure you're not using the + terminal under the hood to hook up the HID lights, the safest way is to attach the lights directly to the battery terminal. I remember reading that there's been cases of ECM(?) circuitry getting fried, leaving drivers without any sort of signal/brake lighting in addition to no lights from their HIDs.

I have thick gauge wiring running from the battery to a separate terminal/fuse block under the hood, and that's where my lights are hooked up to (and any future additional accessories).

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I agree with JRod_141. Poor connection causing heat at the location = melted plastic. Replace with a good connector and probably all will be well. The statement you made a any bump making the lights go out indicates a loose/poor connection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. In response to MrGreenHeart the fuse that is melted is connected directly to the battery. I will keep you guys updated on what's going on tomorrow when I bring it into the shop.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sounds like a bad connection if they have been turning off when going over bumps. It loosened and made a high resistance connection that drew excessive current and melted it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's happened to me before. Turned about to be a poorly made relay harness. Just look into getting a new one from a more reputable place. I wouldn't try to fix that harness since it's already looks to be subpar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's happened to me before. Turned about to be a poorly made relay harness. Just look into getting a new one from a more reputable place. I wouldn't try to fix that harness since it's already looks to be subpar.
Yea it was exactly that. They replaced it and everything seems to be ok now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts