Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn them on, you can hear a sound in the engine, is that normal...only happens when I turn them off and on.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,514 Posts
It is not the in the engine. The "Clunk" you hear is a lens in the headlight that changes from low to high beam.

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack 392, Frostbite Blue, A8, Harman Kardon, sunroof, Dynamics, Adaptive Susp
85 Posts
That or it's out of Wilkins coffee.

I heard the same sound when I rented a Mustang GT convertible out in Vegas. Gave me heart failure, I thought I broke the car and was going to have to pay money because they were going to accuse me of breaking it.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,714 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Challenger SXT
5 Posts
I have kind of the same issue. Awhile back I installed some aftermarket headlight housing (CCFL Halogen's to be more exact). Well now when my high beams are on, it makes a noticeably loud static sound. Even though it's the same H9 bulb from factory. No clue what could be the reason. But if I look into the light just a little, I do see a spring being extended and compressed at high rates. Lights work fine so its been more of a nuisance than a issue.

·
Super Moderator
17,261 Posts
There's a mechanical "shutter" that cuts off the upper beam for low beam operation and moves up in high beam mode

its an electric solenoid that accomplishes this.
the '15+ use this shutter setup whether its halogen headlights or HIDs

on the '08 - '14 LC series, only the HID headlights (projector lens & shutter) the halogen lights used a dual element bulb and conventional reflector housing reflector

if you have ignition ON (engine not running) and headlights ON and operate between low / high beam, you can hear the "clunk" sound of the shutter mechanism

(on Euro models this was referred to as Bi-Xenon (with 2 headlight layout) and really what it meant was dual mode function)

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,714 Posts
There's a mechanical "shutter" that cuts off the upper beam for low beam operation and moves up in high beam mode

its an electric solenoid that accomplishes this.
the '15+ use this shutter setup whether its halogen headlights or HIDs

on the '08 - '14 LC series, only the HID headlights (projector lens & shutter) the halogen lights used a dual element bulb and conventional reflector housing reflector

if you have ignition ON (engine not running) and headlights ON and operate between low / high beam, you can hear the "clunk" sound of the shutter mechanism

(on Euro models this was referred to as Bi-Xenon (with 2 headlight layout) and really what it meant was dual mode function)
Kewl,
Hat Headgear Font Cap T-shirt

I will look into that more, thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts