Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 charger, high beams went out, both left n right side. Single filament bulbs, look fine. Fuses fine. Reading about bad shutters n somewhat confused as to where they are, on the bulb itself or on handle actuator. Low beams work. High beam indicator does not come on either low beam indicator does. What say you.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,851 Posts
2015 charger, high beams went out, both left n right side. Single filament bulbs, look fine. Fuses fine. Reading about bad shutters n somewhat confused as to where they are, on the bulb itself or on handle actuator. Low beams work. High beam indicator does not come on either low beam indicator does. What say you.
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) You have HIDs?

A Guy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No HIDs, after following some posts I’m hoping it’s the bulb itself ( bad shutters) n nothing else, I just haven’t been able to pick any up yet, town is 1/2 an hour away n I’m always working. It’s amazing how all the service shops I’ve called can’t or won’t answer a simple question. Most don’t know, just want the min 135.00 to diagnose the problem.

4 dealerships in a 200 mil radius... common reply to my situation was can’t really tell you unless you bring it in. Couldn’t even lead me in the right direction.😡 n all the YouTube videos are no good to my situation... a bunch of guess workers. N wanna bs.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Check the fuses and relays in the box in the engine compartment, if not already done.
If the car has projector headlights, It is the shutters, but why they don't work would have to be diagnosed as there can be several reasons.
If you have headlights with separate high beam bulbs (4 lamps total) there are no shutters.

·
Premium Member
2021 Redeye
882 Posts
It’s amazing how all the service shops I’ve called can’t or won’t answer a simple question. Most don’t know, just want the min 135.00 to diagnose the problem.
They know the issue and solution, they've come across the same issue you're having many times but they're in it for the money not customer service IMO.

Goobs,
If it were my car I’d go to AutoZone, advance auto etc. and talk to the counter person and ask if you could just try one bulb without buying it to see if it would fix the problem, also buying 2 bulbs would still be cheaper than dealership diagnostics.
Good luck and let us know (y)

·
Premium Member
2021 Redeye
882 Posts
Replaced both bulbs, still no brights .😡😡😡
sry buddy
Where exactly is the shutter spoken of ? On the bulb itself or somewhere else ?
I have no idea what they're talking about when they say "shutter"

GL Goobs let us know if you find out the problem (y)

I know you said you checked the fuses but I'm not sure if Dodge has headlight fuse and a separate bright light fuse as I have seen in different vehicles other than Dodge, this is my first Dodge so.🤷‍♂️

Other vehicles I have seen would have separate fuses for left and right headlight and then also separate fuses for left and right brights, like I said I'm not sure about Dodge.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,851 Posts
I've never seen anything showing the actual shutter, but they are in the headlight assy. The fact both are not working seems to point towards a common. Steering Column Control Module (SCCM)? BCM? Harness? Do you have the auto high beam dimming? There are solenoids in the headlight assembly that control the shutters, but again, both at the same time points towars what drives the high beams
Water Product Azure Rectangle Font

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2021 Redeye
882 Posts
I've never seen anything showing the actual shutter, but they are in the headlight assy. The fact both are not working seems to point towards a common. Steering Column Control Module (SCCM)? BCM? Harness? Do you have the auto high beam dimming? There are solenoids in the headlight assembly that control the shutters, but again, both at the same time points towars what drives the high beams
View attachment 1063445
A Guy
Not complaining or anything like that but is there a way that the schematic can be posted so we can read the writing? Maybe it's just me 🤷‍♂️ thanks for the post.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,851 Posts
You have to do something depending on how your browser works

Click on the picture

Right click> Open in new tab

Right click> Open in new tab> Click on picture in new tab

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2021 Redeye
882 Posts
You have to do something depending on how your browser works

Click on the picture

Right click> Open in new tab

Right click> Open in new tab> Click on picture in new tab

A Guy
Yes thank you, I tried that to no avail. 🙂

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks tape, I’ll buy bulbs today n see how it goes. Have a good day.
sry buddy

I have no idea what they're talking about when they say "shutter"

GL Goobs let us know if you find out the problem(y)

I know you said you checked the fuses but I'm not sure if Dodge has headlight fuse and a separate bright light fuse as I have seen in different vehicles other than Dodge, this is my first Dodge so.🤷‍♂️

Other vehicles I have seen would have separate fuses for left and right headlight and then also separate fuses for left and right brights, like I said I'm not sure about Dodge.
Well, took dodge to dealer 166.00 to tell me what I already expected... BCM(body control module) or steering control module. The more expensive one is the one they diagnosed. It’s not a 100% but they have to replace it first to see if it does the trick. What a bunch of !?:$ the SXM is 608.00 . All n all gonna be just over 1000.00 parts n labor on top of the 500.00 it’s already cost parts n labor. Straight up the wallet. 😡🙄

1 - 17 of 17 Posts