Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a set of high flow cats for my '13 RT. I understand that sometimes these high flow cats can cause you to run a little lean in open loop. Has anyone been able to get the tune dialed in using an email tune after installing the high flows? I will be installing a wideband O2 sensor once I tackle the headers (which will allow me to dial in using a/f ratio) but won't have the time to tackle that until next year. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
My high flows caused a few lean codes in this colder weather.

1,931 Posts
My high flows caused a few lean codes in this colder weather.

What codes were those? P0420 maybe?...High flows tend to cause that but it doesn't mean lean..it justs means the cats are flowing more than the PCM is programmed for. Will not damage anything other than having the CEL on the dash. A custom tune can turn off the down stream sensors and stop that. I have installed many high flows on many cars and never got a lean code hot or cold weather..

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
0420 and 0430. Both are pretty much nothing, IIRC.

1,931 Posts
I'm gutting mine. Is there anything special I need to do afterwards?
You don't have to tune but with your setup you stand to gain 10+ hp....I have seen some heavily modded FI V-8s gain 30+HP........I would not gut the cats...this will cause turbulence in your exhaust...replace the cats with straight pipes...

0420 and 0430. Both are pretty much nothing, IIRC.
Those codes are efficiency codes left and right banks. Just means the air flow has changed....not a problem unless you have to pass a ORBI emission's test...

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Yeah, that's what I figured, so I wasn't worried. You have any idea about a 2098? It's not the injectors or fuel, maybe I need to screw with the sensor.

·
Banned
1,898 Posts
You don't have to tune but with your setup you stand to gain 10+ hp....I have seen some heavily modded FI V-8s gain 30+HP........I would not gut the cats...this will cause turbulence in your exhaust...replace the cats with straight pipes...

Thanks! That's what I will do.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
I'm gutting mine. Is there anything special I need to do afterwards?
On a N/A'd 392, catless can change your af by .2 at WOT. About like removing your air filter. Not sure about your super six...

Reactions: Richmonddjs
1,931 Posts
Yeah, that's what I figured, so I wasn't worried. You have any idea about a 2098? It's not the injectors or fuel, maybe I need to screw with the sensor.
I have gotten the 2098 code before when I had no cats on my former 07 SRT...engine was not lean as I had an A/F wideband.....just the exhaust flow messing with the PCM...You can try putting spark plug anti foulers in your downstream bungs and screwing the sensors into them...this cures the 420/43072098 codes on some cars...

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Shoud be easier than messing with AF ratios. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
high flow cats

I bought the 3'' mid pipes with the high flow cats and I threw a code on bank #2, so I bought extention with adjustable jets put the medium one in and now I'm throwing bank#1and2 for lean codes. will this harm my engine? i'm going to get a custom tune and delete them butt for know this sucks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts