Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stumbled upon this and never knew something like this existed BUT having an automatic is new to me (I'm 46 and this is my first auto) and so is RWD. I come from the world of sport compacts. I modded and raced my 2003 Dodge SRT-4. It's fastest run before I got rid of the car was 12.96 @ 108.9 MPH on drag radials.

Does anyone on this forum have something like this installed on their car? Does the Hellcat come with something like this straight from the factory? Obviously I don't need this yet but I do plan on supercharging my baby one day. I would like this car to put down a reliable 500 wheel horsepower.... that's the goal anyways.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,313 Posts
I just stumbled upon this and never knew something like this existed BUT having an automatic is new to me (I'm 46 and this is my first auto) and so is RWD. I come from the world of sport compacts. I modded and raced my 2003 Dodge SRT-4. It's fastest run before I got rid of the car was 12.96 @ 108.9 MPH on drag radials.

Does anyone on this forum have something like this installed on their car? Does the Hellcat come with something like this straight from the factory? Obviously I don't need this yet but I do plan on supercharging my baby one day. I would like this car to put down a reliable 500 wheel horsepower.... that's the goal anyways.
I looked at that one, but ordered this one from High Horse Performance for my 1320:

Moroso Competition Drive Shaft Loop A8

None of the Challengers comes with one from the factory. Technically, it is required for our cars, per NHRA 9..."A front driveshaft loop is required on all cars, except vehicles running 11.49 (*7.35) seconds or slower equipped with street tires. "

Many tracks don't even check, but I'd hate to drive two hours to a race only to be turned away because they decided to check.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at that one, but ordered this one from High Horse Performance for my 1320:

Moroso Competition Drive Shaft Loop A8

None of the Challengers comes with one from the factory. Technically, it is required for our cars, per NHRA 9..."A front driveshaft loop is required on all cars, except vehicles running 11.49 (*7.35) seconds or slower equipped with street tires. "

Many tracks don't even check, but I'd hate to drive two hours to a race only to be turned away because they decided to check.
Wow, not to hi-jack my own thread but I am originally from Pittsburgh and your retired Challenger was pretty badass!! I bleed black n gold...

It would definitely suck driving 2 hours to get sent home because of something like this. I am lucky because the closest track to me is Cecil County Dragway and it's only 30 min away.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Get one when you plan on any major power addition (nitrous, supercharger, turbo etc.) or if you swap out the driveshaft to an aluminum piece.
I have not seen any failures near stock or mildly built power levels.

PS. Regarding the NHRA rule, that was amended last year. Under the AAA rule book, 2008 and newer cars can run to 10.00 at 135mph with any modifications as long as the stock brakes and crash systems are in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PaVaSteeler

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would put my money in a Diff brace before I did a driveshaft loop. Usually the rear end twist under the torque and the driveshaft goes out of alignment into a "bind". When that happens you snap an ear off the shaft or U-joint and whammo bammo! If you can keep the rear end stable you will eliminate wheel hop and driveshaft failures.....especially with an auto trans.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,553 Posts
If you have a larger diameter driveshaft installed, make sure any loop you buy will clear it

A Guy

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have 2 trophies from Mud Bog racing a big Dodge Ram back in the day (1st and second place) I hill climbed almost every weekend in deep sand. I used to go through driveshafts about every 6 months. U-joints about every 3 months. I used the best I could get as well...Dana-Spicer with the zerk fittings in the caps. MANY years later and many dollars later......I finally put a diff brace on it and NEVER replaced another shaft or u-joint for the last 4 years I owned it! (owned it for 22 years) Excessive movement is what KILLS shafts and joints.

Reactions: Fawls

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 2 trophies from Mud Bog racing a big Dodge Ram back in the day (1st and second place) I hill climbed almost every weekend in deep sand. I used to go through driveshafts about every 6 months. U-joints about every 3 months. I used the best I could get as well...Dana-Spicer with the zerk fittings in the caps. MANY years later and many dollars later......I finally put a diff brace on it and NEVER replaced another shaft or u-joint for the last 4 years I owned it! (owned it for 22 years) Excessive movement is what KILLS shafts and joints.
Great post, thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts