Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Hellcat owner, on cold start up my idle goes up to 1750 rpm and then slowly drops back to approx. 750 rpm. Is this high rpm normal for the hellcats? My scatpack didn't rev this high on initial startups.
I couldn't find any information about this in my searches on this site.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,131 Posts
Appears to be normal. According to this 2016 stock HC tune startup idle should be around 1700rpm for coolant temps below 104F. See attached image of elevated idle table.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,131 Posts
Is that top number seconds?
I will look at it closely tomorrow morning but that looks right.
Basically idle is commanded from this table at first based on engine temp and how long the engine has been running. The PCM then refers to other tables to determine final idle once the car hits optimum temp. On my 2015 RT manual, the P/N or Manual w/AC (took a couple of tries to confirm this table controls the final idle).

BTW I bumped up my elevated idle in the 0 and 3.2 s engine run time columns to give the can a nice startup rumble which tapers down abruptly. It's like starting the car with a little bit of pedal that you release quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
What ChallyTatum said. I had thought my Hellcat idle dropped rather quickly like my cars before it, but paying more/closer attention I find it does take longer to for the Hellcat engine RPMs to drop.

But the RPMs do drop. Might note where I live and drive ambient temperatures are mild (at least at night; last couple of days we've had triple digit heat but the Hellcat has remained parked under a carport and I have used my other car) so in the AM the car/engine is not that cold and coolant temperature starts out pretty "high" and comes up pretty quick. I have not experienced the Hellcat in real cold temperatures and I don't know what the idle speed would do in colder temperatures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts