Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the 6lb magnuson set up for my '10 R/T which has about 108k miles currently on it. The motor seems to be in good shape and has new plugs,, o2 sensors, newer timing chain from the recall a few years ago; etc. I won't be drag or street racing it much if at all, I am more interested in regaining the power loss of being at 5500 feet. I know the base maggies are the easiest SC on the 5.7 hemi's so any issues to consider or upgrade if I go with an FI setup with higher mileage car? I will be doing the install myself...

·
Registered
747 Posts
As long as it’s been maintained well it’s good to go.

My bare minimum: do a compression test in all cylinders and if everything is good, send it.

Recently bought an 06 Charger Daytona with 125k miles and am finishing up the nitrous install here shortly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
I suggest looking into the Edelbrock 2650 if you’re concerned about being ‘easy’ on it...with it’s double pass cooler bricks the IAT’s will be much cooler than a Maggie . plus it’s larger being 2.65 vs 2.3 for the Maggie . I have one on my 18 5.7

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I have been looking at the 6lb magnuson set up for my '10 R/T which has about 108k miles currently on it. The motor seems to be in good shape and has new plugs,, o2 sensors, newer timing chain from the recall a few years ago; etc. I won't be drag or street racing it much if at all, I am more interested in regaining the power loss of being at 5500 feet. I know the base maggies are the easiest SC on the 5.7 hemi's so any issues to consider or upgrade if I go with an FI setup with higher mileage car? I will be doing the install myself...
5500 feet ain't that much. I only noticed a bit of drop off at just over 7K feet (like Flagstaff) in a number of my N/A cars.

9K feet, like in the Steamboat Springs, CO area the engine of my Caddy rental was down on power and this was based on starting out at Denver and its "mile high" elevation.

In yet another car at the Eisenhower Pass on I-70 west of Denver at 11K feet and in a N/A car I thought I was going to have to get out and push the thing over the hill.

At any rate at 5500 feet all other N/A cars are on equal footing with your car and its N/A engine.

(Driving these same roads in cars with a turbo charged engine was quite a different experience. Heck my VW Golf TDI with a measly 90hp (and 136 ft lbs of torque) made short work of the Eisenhower Pass due to its turbo. Granted the engine controller was allowing some ungodly amount of boost but the engine was fine. Likewise with my Porsche Turbo in Wyoming at between 8K and 9K feet the engine was still a beast but the boost level -- nominally 0.7 bar reached 0.8 bar even 0.9 bar and the car accelerated like you wouldn't believe. Have not yet had a chance to experience my Hellcat or my MINI JCW (turbocharged) cars at higher elevations.)

An engine with some miles as long as it is basically healthy should take some boost ok. 6psi is what I recall is a good compromise.

That the engine has some miles means the ring gap has probably increased which gives the engine a bit of safety margin.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right on, thanks for the replies. (y) The reason I started thinking about it is I was in Dallas Tx about 2 months ago and it ran a whole lot stronger there. It was pretty noticeable.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Right on, thanks for the replies. (y) The reason I started thinking about it is I was in Dallas Tx about 2 months ago and it ran a whole lot stronger there. It was pretty noticeable.
Years ago in my Boxster I was in Colorado Springs, CO. Got onto the freeway and happened to join the freeway along side some Saab. An impromptu roll on "race" occurred. The Saab was noticeably quicker. It was then I realized the benefit of turbo (or super) charging at least for higher elevation driving.

While I would not turbo/super charge a N/A car if I lived in a higher elevation I'd certainly consider buying a turbo/super charged car.

OTOH, even with my N/A cars as long as the elevation wasn't too high they were still pretty good at higher elevations.

My more frequent experience was driving east in I-40 and crossing the Rio Grande River at the CA/AZ border with an elevation of around 600 feet. Then driving east to Kingman AZ and its 2K+ feet elevation. Then heading further east and in around 140 miles ended up in Flagstaff and at least at the continentinal divide just west of town at around 7700 feet my N/A cars didn't really feel that down on power. Sure they were but modern engine controllers are pretty good with providing proper fueling even at higher elevations. This goes a long way to minimizing the effects of the higher elevation but of course doesn't eliminate it. An as the elevation gets higher, 8K feet and above, the effects of the higher elevation become more pronounced.

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
shouldn't be any problems with a well maintained engine - might have more oil / consumption or blow-by with the mileage accumulated.

adding forced induction might bring out that - but you'll gain some power due to the less dense air at higher altitude like you've noticed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts