Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wish i could figure out how to embed Youtube videos. Anyway, I recently finished my track day and a half at High Plains Raceway on June 30th and July 1st, 2016. I had a blast! It was a lot of fun finding how what the limits of the car were and how to toss this thing around in the corners. I made videos using Harry's Lap Timer and my Galaxy S7 Edge mounted to the windshield. I made all the videos into playlist and included a couple smaller "fastest lap" videos in the mix for those with shorter attention spans lol.

Youtube Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZQLARexEPciz_pMWlJ-Yik8FaJrpbdFq

For a small synopsis, my group rolled into the place around 3:30pm on Thursday evening to get setup for our Thursday Night Open Lapping session. The weather was fairly clear up until we pulled into the driveway to wait for the gates to open. All of a sudden a storm came rolling through and a monsoon started with an unrelenting downpour. I took a quick video of what we saw as we pulled into our camping spots. Needless to say we went to the drivers meeting and hit the track anyway. For the first couple hours we were not only trying to figure out our recording equipment, but also trying to figure out how the hell to drive fast in a torrential downpour. This of course while we were trying to setup our camp spot and get our bearings. That was a crazy introduction to the place. Within the first two laps around the track I spun out into the mud as I was setting up for the front stretch. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything recording the incident nor did the person behind me apparently. I went to the pits and check out the car since all kinds of electronic messages were popping up everywhere. After restarting the car and driving it around a bit everything went back to normal and I went back out on the track. By this time the rain started to taper and the track started to dry up a little on the driving lines. I got my recording equipment working and got some laps recorded and posted to Youtube. I was also able to get a fastest lap in there even though it was mostly the fastest lap I was willing to do in the given conditions.

The next day, everything was dried out except our camping spot. Went to the drivers meeting and hit the track promptly at 8:00 am. Our three person group already started putting up faster times as the day went on and I was pushing the car a little further each session. They divided us into Production and Spec racers for our 30-minute sessions. By the second session I was able to put up my fastest lap of 2:18.9 and I had already been beating on some cars that, by bench racing standards, a big heavy car like a Challenger should not have been able to pass. I put down Mustangs, Lotus Elise, BMW M4's, Cayman S, and a few other cars here or there. I also got whipped on by some of the more race specced Porches and little ricer cars that take corners like a champ. Many of them had zero power so I would run them down in any number of the straights, but I could not hold the same speed into the turns they could.

As for the car, it did very well for what it is. One thing is for sure, I felt the weight of the car in every turn and my BFG Sport Comp 2's tried their hardest to hang on to the track. I eventually setup a custom drive mode of everything in street with suspension in track. This seem to work best on keeping the car tame enough for the corners. Track mode keep the engine RPMs up so much of the time that the temps were getting pretty high across the board. I also felt the the quicker shifts and RPMs really didn't give me a true performance benefit at the amateur level. It probably could have shaved a second or two coming out of a turn when I needed to downshift to get speeds up, but the extra wear and tear seemed a bit much. My oil temps routinely got to 270-280 and coolant levels were also relatively high as I went around the track. The tires handled great, but started to feather a great deal on the front outer tread blocks. The left front started wearing quite a bit more than the right and I could begin to feel the tires tread blocks more as the day went on. They were looking rough by the end of the day. I swapped the fronts to the back before I drove home to try and even things out a bit. They are starting to look like regular tires again. The Brembo brakes did fantastic and I did smell some burned brake smell at the end of my faster sessions. I never did lose braking feel though. No fade or anything. I pressed the pedal and they responded. They did start to develop a little growl/rumble/grindish thing towards the end. I looked and still had life on the pads, but the disc looked like it had scoring marks on both the fronts. After driving home the marks appear to be better, but I haven't driven the car much this week. The car also seems to have a little rough start in the morning now like it is stumbling to life instead of springing to life like before. It also has gas that I acquired on the way home so I will run it a bit to see if it works itself out. I plan on taking it in for its 12k mile service anyway. I will be changing the oil in the next few days too. I feel bad that I beat on the car like I did so hopefully she will be ok lol. Well anyway I attached a couple photos of my group.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 SRT 392
90 Posts
Very Nice!

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
276 Posts
Appreciate you sharing your experience at the track. I've watched a few of your videos and they are very entertaining. I cannot get/watch/find enough videos of these bad boys on the track. Love 'em. This is one thing that's always been on my bucket list.

Sounds like you had a good, safe time and I'm sure your 392 will settle back down to normal in the near future. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Hey, what color was the Porsche? What did the driver look like? I know a 91 yr old that drives one and frequents that track! Always has an instructor with. IF he puts his instructor behind the wheel the car probably drives different FYI.

FYI in NASA HPDE last weekend a Cayman was in my group and followed me. Killed him to not be able to make it around the large rolling blue brick in front of him all day.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing. Hey, what color was the Porsche? What did the driver look like? I know a 91 yr old that drives one and frequents that track! Always has an instructor with. IF he puts his instructor behind the wheel the car probably drives different FYI.

FYI in NASA HPDE last weekend a Cayman was in my group and followed me. Killed him to not be able to make it around the large rolling blue brick in front of him all day.
The Cayman S? It was a black convertible. I never got to see the driver since I think he parked on the other side of the paddock. I don't think I saw him pull off the track or if he did I wasn't paying too much attention to where he parked. People did seem to come and go throughout the day. He showed up and I remember lapping him a couple times then I never saw it out again. So he might have just been there for a session or two. You are right though, there were cars that I passed that I felt I shouldn't have been able to beat. I attribute this to the driver mod as many cases the car can easily outdrive the driver. Same with the Lotus that I passed a few times. All signs say that the Lotus should be beating most everything out there, but it wasn't. The group he was with was a bunch of 240SX owners that looked like the kind of group that talks a bit game, but found out the hard way that their cars aren't as awesome as the forums say. They showed up with stickers and exhausts and all kinds of track related paraphernalia. I hope they were there to just have a good time driving fast on a track, because that much I am totally on board with. If they showed up thinking they were just going to be fast and furious I think they left a little humbled. With that being said, I think the Lotus, the Cayman, and the 240SX's could be great track cars. I also think those kinds of cars needs a certain type of driver. Anything else is just uncivilized lol.

I am just talking a little smack though because I am proud that regardless of who was driving I still was able to lap those kinds of cars. At the end of the day, being a good driver is just as much, if not more, important than having a fast car. If the driver can't push the car like it should and gets passed by a big heavy tank like myself....well you still lost and a win is a win. It is amazing how some folks buy cars simply based on the car capability, but then do nothing to make themselves better at driving it. They think that simply buying the car will automatically make them a pro race car driver. Almost like the car is just going to take over and drive them to victory lane just because they spend $60k or whatever price point.

There were full race spec Porches there doing 2:06 to 2:08 lap times that had turned hundreds of laps around that track. I am ten seconds off from them. Is that a loss? Damn right! lol.....But in the grand scheme of things...2:18 aint so bad with a stock street car. Some those drivers commented that they were surprised that the car was able to do that and gave an atta boy that an amateur driver like myself could take a GT cruiser street car and turn a decent lap with it. With that being said, I am at the limit of the car with its current setup. To get any faster than 2:18, I think some springs, tower braces, and tires are in my future. Those mods showed when comparing myself to similar cars that had those types of mods.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
The Cayman S? It was a black convertible. I never got to see the driver since I think he parked on the other side of the paddock. I don't think I saw him pull off the track or if he did I wasn't paying too much attention to where he parked. People did seem to come and go throughout the day. He showed up and I remember lapping him a couple times then I never saw it out again. So he might have just been there for a session or two. You are right though, there were cars that I passed that I felt I shouldn't have been able to beat. I attribute this to the driver mod as many cases the car can easily outdrive the driver. Same with the Lotus that I passed a few times. All signs say that the Lotus should be beating most everything out there, but it wasn't. The group he was with was a bunch of 240SX owners that looked like the kind of group that talks a bit game, but found out the hard way that their cars aren't as awesome as the forums say. They showed up with stickers and exhausts and all kinds of track related paraphernalia. I hope they were there to just have a good time driving fast on a track, because that much I am totally on board with. If they showed up thinking they were just going to be fast and furious I think they left a little humbled. With that being said, I think the Lotus, the Cayman, and the 240SX's could be great track cars. I also think those kinds of cars needs a certain type of driver. Anything else is just uncivilized lol.

I am just talking a little smack though because I am proud that regardless of who was driving I still was able to lap those kinds of cars. At the end of the day, being a good driver is just as much, if not more, important than having a fast car. If the driver can't push the car like it should and gets passed by a big heavy tank like myself....well you still lost and a win is a win. It is amazing how some folks buy cars simply based on the car capability, but then do nothing to make themselves better at driving it. They think that simply buying the car will automatically make them a pro race car driver. Almost like the car is just going to take over and drive them to victory lane just because they spend $60k or whatever price point.

There were full race spec Porches there doing 2:06 to 2:08 lap times that had turned hundreds of laps around that track. I am ten seconds off from them. Is that a loss? Damn right! lol.....But in the grand scheme of things...2:18 aint so bad with a stock street car. Some those drivers commented that they were surprised that the car was able to do that and gave an atta boy that an amateur driver like myself could take a GT cruiser street car and turn a decent lap with it. With that being said, I am at the limit of the car with its current setup. To get any faster than 2:18, I think some springs, tower braces, and tires are in my future. Those mods showed when comparing myself to similar cars that had those types of mods.
Tires! 285/35 fits the 9.5" wheels. Opens up interesting more sticky or track tire possibilities. Those and get it just a bit lower, you will like it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is awesome. I'd love to get involved in something like this someday but I think I would need to do some instructor-led training first. Looks like you had a great time out there!

The videos are fantastic BTW. I'm going to put the wole playlist on in the background while I work. So much sweet music there.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well folks I sent in my oil to Blackstone Labs. This oil sample includes a couple runs at the drag strip and the High Plains track day. I found some interesting data in it especially when it comes to lead. I noticed in the report for my Challenger that it was showing high lead content which it was asked if I had used leaded race gas. The answer is no with a caveat. A friend of mine who was working on a Whipple project for his 2015 Mustang was having issues with detonation because we only have 91 octane gas here in South Dakota. Whipple recommended that he use a product from VP Racing Fuels called Madditive Octanium. Since most octane boosters do not contain lead, but do contain messages along the lines of "Off Road Use Only" etc...He recommended it to me to use in my Challenger. On the front it says it is a "Lead Substitute", but not necessarily that it contains lead. Although there were warnings about damage to catalytic converters and O2 sensors there was nothing else that alarming since there are many products with disclaimers like those. Well based on this oil report it would appear that Octanium has quite a bit of lead in it and because of it I will discontinue use of the product all together. Since leaded gas is so rare and is usually exclusive to race fuel, who knew there was such a thing sitting on the shelf at Autozone.

I also inquired about my oil temps and how the oil stood up to getting extremely hot. Apparently, the sample came back good enough because they were not too worried. Interestingly, this oil was around the end of its service life with my oil life monitor at around 14% when I changed it out. So I ran this oil for normal driving, spirited driving, drag strip racing, autocrossing, AND road course. Temps routinely got 275+. So here is some empirical data in regards to how oil or even Amsoil holds up to abuse. No that wasn't a shameless plug, but I was impressed to say the least. I have attached the oil report below.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts