Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On June 30th and July 1st I will be doing a track day and a half at HPR. I was just curious if there was anything I should look for on my car? Any I should purchase in prep like brake pads? I have about 12k miles on my stock brembo pads. I also just ordered some BFG Sport Comp 2s to replace my Pirelli Pzeros that are down to the wear bars.

Also any advice on video recorders other than go pro. I was thinking about getting a cell phone mount and installing something like Harry's Lap timer with odb link.

Also any advice for first time on a track with ones own car? I have done the SRT thing, bit that wasn't anywhere near the intensity that I am sure this will be.

·
Registered
523 Posts
You're going to have a blast grimm. I went out to HPR last fall with 1500mi and temp. tags on my new A8 SRT with no problems at all. The brakes on these are more than adequate. A Porsche driver took mine out to show me the lines and commented the breaks were awesome. You get to like the smell of hot brakes :) Did well on the straits but got chewed up on corners by Porsche's and even Miata's. No worries though, just do your own pace and have fun. Make sure you do a warm up and cool down lap. I used a GoPro, iPhone with "TrackAddict" and OBD2 but could easily use just a cell phone with TA to get your times recorded. TA has HPR already built in to the software. I had the stock DOT3 brake fluid with no issues but have since replaced it with DOT4 hight temp. fluid. Some of our Challenger Club guys are going out there tomorrow but I regretfully have a project deadline so can't make that one but will definitely get out at least once again this year. You can save a few bucks by paying on line before track day. I used my old motorcycle helmet but they have some to rent if needed. Make sure you get there early for the drivers meeting as it is mandatory for first timers but after that, you'll be good to go. I've lowered mine and installed a Drake strut bar since then so am eager to see what (if any) improvements that will make.

Here's a YouTube link to that day. https://youtu.be/mON_YDsDnTw

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
On June 30th and July 1st I will be doing a track day and a half at HPR. I was just curious if there was anything I should look for on my car? Any I should purchase in prep like brake pads? I have about 12k miles on my stock brembo pads. I also just ordered some BFG Sport Comp 2s to replace my Pirelli Pzeros that are down to the wear bars.

Also any advice on video recorders other than go pro. I was thinking about getting a cell phone mount and installing something like Harry's Lap timer with odb link.

Also any advice for first time on a track with ones own car? I have done the SRT thing, bit that wasn't anywhere near the intensity that I am sure this will be.
Great choice on the tires; i had these tires on my Formula Ford @ Skip Barber racing and they do last, they do grip;

I hope you will have an instructor with you so he can show you the track around

first thing to expect is that will not have any points of reference in comparison to the street; no marking where the eyes expect it to be; no red lights posts or yellow lines in the middle of the road so you have to learn where to place the car on the track

a turn in the street is designed to be safe it follows pretty much DOT guidelines like civil aviation does when flying; nothing too risky

on the track straights are straights so no biggy there but the turns, because it is a damn race track that is suppose to challenge you, has not one corner or turn like the other

so you need to place your eyes; you eyes are everything and where you place them will lead you to do the things with the car for you to move around safely and effectively

hands on steering wheel at 9-3 position, elbow flexed

i dont know which organization you are running with, but most of them, give instructors orders to have the driver in track days and first timers to take the safe driving line and they will insist on brakimg in a straight line and throttle progressively in the turn

not the fastest but it is the safest and this is what matters! bringing your beautiful Challenger home the way you drove in

find shoes that have a thin sole from heel to tip so you have a good feel for the pedals; this is essential; wear sun glasses if it is sunny so your eyes are relaxed, closed the sun roof so your eyes are focused through the windshield; set your rear view mirrors a bit out so have more view of your blind spots; glance at your rear view mirror often so you develop the situational awareness which is a good thing to develop when doing track days

I did 2 SRT experience at Road America and Watkins Glen and from this point I decided that racing was for me my life so beware, this [email protected] is addictive, mind buggling, life changing, never forget fun type of stuff

the challenger is heavy but with traction control on or slightly off it is fun because of the immense torque

remove the carpets all around as normally they should request anything not attached to be remove from the interior
snap the rear seat belts so they dont wonder around

remove everything in the trunk; verify all levels and do not overfill

if it does not rain remove the brake booster/refill cap plastic lid that is on the driver side when you open the hood; that will allow some heat to escape

leave your oil temp indicator on and push to 270 but not higher than that; keep the ECT at 215/220 and do cooling laps to bring back to specx

it heats up after 12 minutes of track depending on the outside temp

brakes will start to be spongy a bit or a lot if you leave you foot on the brake pedal too long so be careful there the more you will go around the track the more you will gain confidence and you will want to push the envelope further, DON'T!!

keep the consistency. do the same thing every time at every corner, do what the instructor tells you to do, remember each corner what you need to do; LOOK!!, then BRAKE!!! then TURN!!

braking is most important, quick, powerful but DO NOT SLAM the brake pedal

braking is not done by the brakes it is done by the tires
steering is not done by you steering the wheel it is done by the tires

if you are asking 100% of your tires to slow you down you damn won't be able to turn the vehicle
if you are using 70% of the tires to brake you have then 30% left for the tires to change the direction of the car

you can turn the steering wheel all you want but when the tires say: "no thank you, but thanks", remember you are going straight into a wall with your first name on it and your last name changed to "understeer"

use the straights to check your gauges, put tape on your speedometer, don't look at the hood but keep your eyes as far away as possible; scan quick in front of you for any debris and then right back to the farthest point possible;

in street condition our eyes are required to be into our hoods because of Elephants crossing, Tigers chasing deers, pregnant women crossing with kids and yelling at their husbands for being an ass and not helping around; this is life on the street

on the track none of that exist; just the car in front (if there is one) of you and the corner apex and then quickly after that the exit/track out where you need to go

leading to the point: DO NOT EVER EVER:

1/ drive the line of the car in front of you, drive your own
2/ drive in the rear view mirror
this will lead you to get off the track and possibly brake something

look at the track look at your lines you were told; decipher between your line and the line the other car driving in front of you

last but not least, as a beginner driver you will likely early turn in and then early apex the turn, that will lead you to get off track if you do not first realize it and then if you dont slow down in order to steer more to stay in the turn and complete the turn

we all do that because we are excited and anxious to get into the turn and because our eyes are not trained to look where it is important

so when you feel you need to turn, don't, travel another 0.5 seconds which will take you may be another 50 feet and then turn and dive into the apex of the turn

this is what we call late apexing; it is safe, it is faster and you get on the HEMI torque pedal earlier and take off to the next corner

bring a tire pressure gauge a digital one please; and bring you pump with you

bring the tires to 30 psi ALL around!! COLD!!

first lap will be double yellow flag which is no passing, tires will go to 32; don't swirve to heat up the tires it does NOTHING!!
leave distance in front and behind you; accelerate powerfully and slow down powerfully and do that 5 to 6 times that will bring brakes to temp and tires as well

second lap go easy still, tires should take another 2 psi and be around 34/35, then third lap you decide you are no P%SSY so you will reach likely 36/38

if the environment and what you do on the track takes to 38 or higher then when the tires are cooled, lose 1 to 2 psi on each tire

so at cold it would be as if you are running 28, but then when hot they are at 36 which is the ideal temp

WARNING!!! at 28 psi no messing around ONLY warm them up in a STRAIGHT LINE; no swearving only hard accelerations and strong braking

on a hot day or spirited driving your tires will take 6 to 10 psi easy

Keep Well

Post a video!

ODP

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're going to have a blast grimm. I went out to HPR last fall with 1500mi and temp. tags on my new A8 SRT with no problems at all. The brakes on these are more than adequate. A Porsche driver took mine out to show me the lines and commented the breaks were awesome. You get to like the smell of hot brakes :) Did well on the straits but got chewed up on corners by Porsche's and even Miata's. No worries though, just do your own pace and have fun. Make sure you do a warm up and cool down lap. I used a GoPro, iPhone with "TrackAddict" and OBD2 but could easily use just a cell phone with TA to get your times recorded. TA has HPR already built in to the software. I had the stock DOT3 brake fluid with no issues but have since replaced it with DOT4 hight temp. fluid. Some of our Challenger Club guys are going out there tomorrow but I regretfully have a project deadline so can't make that one but will definitely get out at least once again this year. You can save a few bucks by paying on line before track day. I used my old motorcycle helmet but they have some to rent if needed. Make sure you get there early for the drivers meeting as it is mandatory for first timers but after that, you'll be good to go. I've lowered mine and installed a Drake strut bar since then so am eager to see what (if any) improvements that will make.

Here's a YouTube link to that day. https://youtu.be/mON_YDsDnTw
That's awesome, thanks for the video. I have been looking forward to this for a while since I found out a out the place. Finally the stars aligned and a few friends and myself are going to make the six hour drive from SD. I reserved two adjacent RV spots for the weekend. If you find yourself out that way that weekend and want stop by you are more than welcome. We will just be either driving, grilling, or hanging around.

I purchased one of those slip mounts for my cell phone and an obdlink. I wanna catch some video and time stuff. At least for the memories lol. I was going to look at Harry's Lap Timer or Track Attack. Since I have essentially a day and a half of driving I can try out a few things.

Just curious, on your video I didn't hear much tire squealing. Did you get loose at all or approach the traction limit? Did you find any particular mode work better like track or sport? How did the car do as the day went on and you got more confident?

I imagine I'll be quite timid at first, but I'll be pushing the limits a little further each lap. At least until I can find where they are and I am satisfied that I can't safely squeeze any more out of my stock setup. The only change from stock will be the BFGs instead of the Pzeros. The Pirelli do seem to have decent lateral grip, but straight lines have always been a little ho-hum.

Thanks for the info. If you do decide to make it out just pm me and we can exchange numbers and stuff.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I used Harry's Lap Timer, worked well with my Iphone 6S:

Definitely bleed your brakes with something like ATE Typ 200 or Motul.

I used CarboTech XP8 brake pads up front. I liked them quite a bit. I don't think you will need anything more aggressive your first time out.

I went with Hellcat Brass Monkey wheels with 275/40 Continental DWs. They liked around 40 psi hot, no chunking and excellent wear.

Do you have a helmet?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep Well

Post a video!

ODP
Fantastic information! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

I used Harry's Lap Timer, worked well with my Iphone 6S: Dodge Charger Scat Pack VIR full course - YouTube

Definitely bleed your brakes with something like ATE Typ 200 or Motul.

I used CarboTech XP8 brake pads up front. I liked them quite a bit. I don't think you will need anything more aggressive your first time out.

I went with Hellcat Brass Monkey wheels with 275/40 Continental DWs. They liked around 40 psi hot, no chunking and excellent wear.

Do you have a helmet?
I have a DOT approved motocross helmet. The HPR website says that for the most part as long as you have a helmet they are satisfied. They say "it is your head after all". I just removed the visor so it's less ostentatious. For the occasional track use I suppose it would work. I do think that if became too unbearable or if they say it is not safe enough that I will just rent one. I have been considering putting some higher temp fluid in the car. I will see how it goes and if I need to take a few breaks or two to cool off then I will for this time. At least I will know for sure that the stock fluid is not adequate for what I am doing.

As it stands right now my Brembo on the front squeal like hell. Maybe this will shut them up finally. Thank you for the video. I love watching folks do real track days. The SRT videos folks put up are cool and all, but those events are quite tame.

·
Registered
537 Posts
HPR is a lot of fun. I went out a couple of times in my Scat Pack. I'm planning on taking the Hellcat out sometime this summer or fall. All the advise you got was great. I really helps to have someone familiar with the track and road racing go with you for a couple of laps. It sucks, but there are a few [email protected]#*&^% there every time I go who think there are recruiters there for F1. When I went out I did 3-4 laps and let the car cool off. I probably could have pushed it harder, but that was my comfort level to take it easy on the car, brakes, and tires. The track will chew up a set of tires pretty quick. If I went more I would invest in a separate set of wheels and tires for racing.

·
Registered
523 Posts
No tire squealing on the vid. as I was pretty timid (chicken) being a greenhorn and brand new car :) I'll try to make it out for a half day while you're there and say howdy. Also a good idea to bring your torque wrench and verity your lugs are at 110. HPR is nice as it has short red posts coming into the turns to alert you on braking zones. Especially nice on the blind corners. Look out for the hairpin.

O is my track guru on here and had some great advice for a fun time out. Thanks O!

Cheers,
Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts