Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2017 R/T Plus Shaker that had been sitting at a local dealer. I got a copy of the build sheet which says the car has a "high speed engine controller" but it redlines and fuel cuts off at the usual 5750 rpm. Is this just marketing BS or am I missing something here?

It does have sport mode and Super Track Pak.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
new for 2017. has nothing to do with redline.
HSEC allows the car to run up to 150mph rather than the governed 135mph top on the 5.7l. not sure what the limiter is on the 6.2s with it. having said that, my 5.7l went well past 135mph and it didnt have it..

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,471 Posts
I know the 2017 Charger Daytona had the high-speed engine controller. Wasn't aware any Challengers did?

A Guy

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
My 2016 RT with sport mode and super track pack also has the high speed engine controller.
Speedometer goes to 260KMH. Had it to 220kmh...once!

·
Registered
134 Posts
And my lowly 16 SXT has it too...

Hate to disappoint, but I think it's marketing mumbo jumbo (relating only to the same 'bus speed' as the differing radios) and nothing to do with vehicle speed, RPM limits, and such.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've had my '17 R/T with the standard engine controller to 137 mph (GPS verified) and it didn't shut down. In fact there was more left but I was running out of road. lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
And my lowly 16 SXT has it too...

Hate to disappoint, but I think it's marketing mumbo jumbo (relating only to the same 'bus speed' as the differing radios) and nothing to do with vehicle speed, RPM limits, and such.

You might be on to something there. It's the controller itself that's high-speed, nothing to do with the car's performance. Maybe when you start adding options like Super Track Pack and Performance Pages you need a better ECM or something. That could be why base R/Ts like mine don't have the high-speed controller. I only have a Sport button, nothing else adjustable like suspension or configurable Sport mode. The slow controller can handle that. lol

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,295 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
You might be on to something there. It's the controller itself that's high-speed, nothing to do with the car's performance. Maybe when you start adding options like Super Track Pack and Performance Pages you need a better ECM or something. That could be why base R/Ts like mine don't have the high-speed controller. I only have a Sport button, nothing else adjustable like suspension or configurable Sport mode. The slow controller can handle that. lol
Don't we have to get the same radios out of other cars, but only those with a high speed bus?
I thought I read something similar...

I'm also pretty sure I've seen other things listed as attached to high or low speed bus.
Light switch for instance, no need for high speed bus...

So my theory is a high speed controller can manage a high speed bus - and we gained no knowledge about RPMs, MPHs, etc.

But, think of the reactive, distributive things - suspension and such - that become possible, without needing a separate processor like ABS.

But that sure is a pretty dashboard display compared to those earlier LEDs/fluorescents!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Dodge Adds Special-Edition Packages for 2017 Charger, Challenger

2017 Dodge Charger Daytona and Challenger T/A get little bit of Hellcat

way down in the story...

For improved acceleration and speed, Charger Daytona includes a rear differential with a 2.62 axle ratio, plus performance engine and transmission calibration with a high-speed engine controller (150 mph, up from 135 mph).

Only thing I found specific to something called a High Speed Engine Controller.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/dodge-adds-special-edition-packages-for-charger-challenger/

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,471 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,727 Posts
Don't we have to get the same radios out of other cars, but only those with a high speed bus?
I thought I read something similar...
the '14 and earlier Challengers used low - speed bus for the the radios, so you had to get that version.

Other makes / models in FCA lineup used high-speed and low-speed bus systems, depending on which vehicle line / model

·
Registered
134 Posts
improved acceleration and speed, Charger Daytona includes a rear differential with a 2.62 axle ratio, plus performance engine and transmission calibration with a high-speed engine controller (150 mph, up from 135 mph).
I was hoping someone else would pick up on....

This is obviously a PR guy quoting another PR guy, neither of whom was really a car guy.

A 2.62 would, relative to anything else, kill acceleration, not improve it!

Probably not a reliable source...

I add a cut and paste from pg1& 2 of my build sheet

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was hoping someone else would pick up on....

This is obviously a PR guy quoting another PR guy, neither of whom was really a car guy.

A 2.62 would, relative to anything else, kill acceleration, not improve it!

Probably not a reliable source...

It's a quote from MotorTrend. I posted the URL to the story.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I believe this is the PR version of "Governor". In the 15-16 models the "Hi Speed" engine controller was part of the Super Track Pack. It moved the top speed governor from stock 150ish to 169 on the rt, 189 on the SP and NO Governor on the Hellcat. They let the drag limit the speed on those to 199 on the challenger and 204 on charger. At least that is what I read on a lot of different forums when I was researching what that meant after I purchased mine in 2016.

Ron

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2016 RT with sport mode and super track pack also has the high speed engine controller.
Speedometer goes to 260KMH. Had it to 220kmh...once!
Lol! I had my 2006 Charger Daytona up to 135 more than 3 times without peddle touching floor. Great system!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts