Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a test drive in a new 2010 RT with a 6 speed and 3.92 axle ratio/20 in wheels, and was pleased to see it turning just 1500 RPM at 60 MPH.

I'm curious what an Auto is turning at 60 MPH, both with cylinders shut down, and with all cylinders firing.

Part of me thinks that extra gear makes the 6 speed get better highway MPG than the auto, yet the auto is given better numbers by the EPA, though only 1 MPG better (25 for auto, vs 24 for 6 speed with 3.92).

Is there more to this than the RPMs ? Would an auto, maybe turning 2000 RPMs, with just 4 or 6 cyls firing, get better MPG, despite the higher RPMs ?

Am I over-analyzing ?

Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've spent lots of time in both 09-10 r/t auto and stick. Each car is a little different, but the mds auto and non mds stick are remarkably close. The 6spd srt8's do a little better than the autos Interesting what the 11's will do?

·
Registered
402 Posts
There is alot to this. I know it sounds redundant, but it really depends on how you drive and where you drive.
If you drive with cruise control on and on a perfectly flat road with no head wind, the auto at 4 cyl will get better gas mileage. If you drive with out it cruise control on or a windy area, or an area with hills....basically anyplace where mds will turn off the 6-speed will get a bit better gas mileage. the more that you keep mds on the better the mileage. My magnum rt with the upgrades got 26 mpg on a road trip across the state at a pretty good speed 76 or so. the MDS kept on nearly the entire trip. Did the same trip but had a bit more wind, and got 22 mpg at a slower speed around 72. The MDS kept turing on and off. Now difference in speed and wind would have an effect, but 4 mpg, I think difference had to deal with MDS a little (but definitely a combination)
Conservatively, I think MDS would give you about 2-3 mpg if kept continuously on (maybe a little more). I haven't got my 6-speed challenger yet, so can't tell you have that does. Hope this helps.

And I think it is nice that you can have a fast car still get good gas mileage when you want it to. One reason the corvette is nice (0-60 in about 4 secs and nearly 30 mpg).

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I can get 26 mpg with a 6-speed but its only on trips. Around town I get anywhere from 19-23 depending on how rambunctious my driving is. Not really sure there is enough difference between the auto and manual to be concerned about.

Here's a list of Challenger mpg's... some include the model and trans:

Browse All Dodge Challengers | Fuelly

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
With my Auto and 20"wheels I average 20---22mpg. around town. This is with plus gas/midgrade.
I'm sorry but when you're beating the EPA stated by 4-6 MPG city with a HEMI, you know your driving like a grandpa, give it some gas...it's a muscle car, not a prius

·
Registered
439 Posts
my around town mileage sucks because i have a lead foot. I drove her from Pittsburgh to Charelston s.c and back and got a little over 24mpg probably going a tad fast.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I get around 11 in city (Los Angeles) and I drive it like like a mad man. Highway (no stops, which is hard to come by in LA) I get 22-24. 6 speed.

·
Registered
762 Posts
rpaulg, you must be one of those guys I use give citations to. One of those that stomp on the gas at one lite just to slam on the brakes at the next lite.lol

even the factory EPA is 16 mpg in city on the RT.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have an auto and a 6 speed Challenger. At 70 mph the auto is about 2200rpm and the 6 speed loafs along at 1700rpm. In the 6 speed I think I'm close to 28 mpg on the highway, it's a big difference. I don't know what the mpg the auto is and I don't really care as it's a while between fill ups and I drive the auto a little more conservatively

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have never checked. Dont really want to know. Just want to put my foot in it from time to time and not gripe about gas. The way I look at it I am having a good time whenever I drive it so the gas is just the cost of enjoying myself.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My R/T Classic got 26mpg on a 1200 mile round trip to Wisconsin and back a couple of months ago. That was with me, the wife, and the truck packed full.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
25+ sometimes up to 28 on higway at 75 ish, even Vette's get 25+.

But I can make it get less than 10:)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
rpaulg, you must be one of those guys I use give citations to. One of those that stomp on the gas at one lite just to slam on the brakes at the next lite.lol

even the factory EPA is 16 mpg in city on the RT.
I don't slam on my brakes at the next light, but how can you give me a ticket for stomping on the gas as long as I let off before going over the speed limit? Be kinda lame that just because I got a Challenger I can't stomp my pedal like the prius next to me!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I don't slam on my brakes at the next light, but how can you give me a ticket for stomping on the gas as long as I let off before going over the speed limit? Be kinda lame that just because I got a Challenger I can't stomp my pedal like the prius next to me!

OK, play nice guys, we don't want this thread turning towards the darkside...

To the OP...6 speeds can be better for MPG's since you asked. Seems strange with the Autos having MDS and all, but it's true. We will see if that changes with the 392 for the SRT's.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like the 6th gear, despite the 3.92 gears, still overcomes the Auto's MDS and 3.06 gearing. Still kinda amazes me.

I'm not expecting any miracles - just want to understand approximately what to expect, and could push my decision towards getting the 6 speed.

This would be my daily driver 6-7 months of the year, so I'm kinda interested in what to expect for MPG. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
:scratchhead:
Excessive display of speed. Try taking off as quick as you can with a cop behind you but do it without spinning the tires and get to the speed limit and maintain he can still get you for display of speed. I've been stopped for it before.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts