Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've had my car a week and I'm debating whether to turn it off or not. Twice I was on hills and forgot about it and gave the car extra gas and I ended up doing burnouts. I've driven manuals for 25 years and never needed it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just curious, how exactly does the hill assist work?

Don't have a challenger yet, but planning on getting one around the first of the year, and it will be a 6 speed, so just curious on how the hill assist works. I've driven manuals all my life, but never had one with hill assist.

Thanks in advance. :guiness:

·
Registered
398 Posts

Don't have a challenger yet, but planning on getting one around the first of the year, and it will be a 6 speed, so just curious on how the hill assist works. I've driven manuals all my life, but never had one with hill assist.

Thanks in advance. :guiness:
When your car detects that you are on an upgrade it keeps the brakes applied until you clutch starts engaging (about one second). This doesn't allow the car to roll back into the idiot behind you that stops six inches from your back bumper. I keep it on as I have a steep driveway and it works flawlessly. I can't think of a reason to turn it off.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I can see where that would come in handy. Always makes me nervous when some idiot gets on my ass on an incline. lol I usually roll back a little when they do that to make THEM nervous!

·
Registered
81 Posts
From the manual:
The HSA system is designed to assist the driver when starting a vehicle from a stop on a hill. HSA will maintain the level of brake pressure the driver applied for a short period of time after the driver takes their foot off of the brake pedal. If the driver does not apply the throttle during this short period of time, the system will release brake pressure and the vehicle will roll down the hill. The system will release brake pressure in proportion to amount of throttle applied as the vehicle starts to move in the intended direction of travel.
The hill assist feature was a big factor in my decision to go with the six speed. I still get nervous when someone is right behind me when I'm stopped on a hill and yes, the tires have lit up unintentionally a time or two, and yes, it's hard not to grin and keep your foot into it as you start to go sideways through the intersection :browsmiley:. In case you didn't know, the manual can be downloaded from the Dodge site. That helped me out when I was thinking about getting my Challenger :).

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I personally like it. My Dodge truck has it too, even with the automatic.
I didn't realize my Challenger had it until it activated on an incline one day.
My first thought was wth???? What's happening??
Then it occurred to me what happened.

I wouldn't turn it off, even if I knew how! :notallthere:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I ended up stalling my car with it on, so I turned the Hill Assist OFF the same day my car came home:), my Viper and Spirit R/T's don't have it.:smokin:
I could probably get use to it if it was my first and only manuel trans car.:scratchhead:

Now if only there was a way to activate this Hill Assist for the front brakes only, through a switch, for a factory Line Lock set-up. :burnout::burnout:

:icon_cheers:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have already grown to love it, and have to ask.. why would anyone turn it off anyway?
I turned mine off. Only weenies leave theirs ON. :fight:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I ended up stalling my car with it on, so I turned the Hill Assist OFF the same day my car came home:), my Viper and Spirit R/T's don't have it.:smokin:
I could probably get use to it if it was my first and only manuel trans car.:scratchhead:

Now if only there was a way to activate this Hill Assist for the front brakes only, through a switch, for a factory Line Lock set-up. :burnout::burnout:

:icon_cheers:
How the heck do you stall the car with it on, compared to starting while rolling backwards?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I love it and would never turn it off now that it actually started working! It only took over 1000 miles on the odometer to start functioning despite the EVIC saying it was activated.
I can't see ever turning it off and I've been driving manual shifts since 1972.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've stalled mine a few times because of it too. I've driven a manual for 15+ years and this is a first for me. I'm trying to get used to it, but I think it's going to be turned off in the near future.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Turned mine off. Due to the e-throttle lag (variable) combined with it's braking action caused stalls and "chirps". Pretty annoying. I dont miss it at all and live in pretty hilly country. I would probably be a benefit if the throttle was as responsive as a direct cable type. Maybe just my car but whatever works for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Turned mine off. Due to the e-throttle lag (variable) combined with it's braking action caused stalls and "chirps". Pretty annoying. I dont miss it at all and live in pretty hilly country. I would probably be a benefit if the throttle was as responsive as a direct cable type. Maybe just my car but whatever works for you.
+1, turned off mine as well, it just does not release quick enough.

FYI, if you turn ESP totally off hill assist is turned off as well. :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I leave HSA on. It's a great feature for the tail gater riding your a$$ on a hill. And yes, I've been driving manuals a long time and I can survive without it - but HSA definitely is a stress reducer in cars this expensive.

As for stalling, it did happen to me once, until I adjusted and learned to give it a bit more throttle and clutch slip and no more stalls.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts