Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I participated in a SCCA Starting Line school for autocross and it was a blast!! Shakey (Shaker Trim Challenger) handled the tight corners and slalom superbly!! For those who say that the Challenger is too big and too heavy to corner don't know what they're talking about. One of the instructors (national Autocross champion) that was teaching me on the final course race for the day, drove Shakey for a couple of runs and at the end told me that the car handled way better than he expected and that it was a blast to drive. :D Does the Challenger handle the autocross course as well as Audi TT or a Subaru? No, of course not, they're way smaller. But you can't punch the accelerator in them on takeoff and do a burnout that leaves a 20ft+ skid mark either! (Not without keeping a foot on the brake pedal to smoke the tires.) (My burnouts were voted the best and no one said anything like "... but too bad it couldn't handle the course.")
Shakey handled way better than I thought she would, considering the reviews I've read and the type of course that was laid out for us today. We've driven Shakey on twisty, turny mountain roads with curves, turns, and switchbacks and were able to take the turns easily at significantly higher than the recommended "caution" speed signs.
I guess what I'm trying to say is don't listen to the naysayers and have fun in your Challenger.
And if you have a chance to attend an SCCA autocross school, Do it!! You won't regret it!!

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
My wife and I participated in a SCCA Starting Line school for autocross and it was a blast!! Shakey (Shaker Trim Challenger) handled the tight corners and slalom superbly!! For those who say that the Challenger is too big and too heavy to corner don't know what they're talking about. One of the instructors (national Autocross champion) that was teaching me on the final course race for the day, drove Shakey for a couple of runs and at the end told me that the car handled way better than he expected and that it was a blast to drive. :D Does the Challenger handle the autocross course as well as Audi TT or a Subaru? No, of course not, they're way smaller. But you can't punch the accelerator in them on takeoff and do a burnout that leaves a 20ft+ skid mark either! (Not without keeping a foot on the brake pedal to smoke the tires.) (My burnouts were voted the best and no one said anything like "... but too bad it couldn't handle the course.")

Shakey handled way better than I thought she would, considering the reviews I've read and the type of course that was laid out for us today. We've driven Shakey on twisty, turny mountain roads with curves, turns, and switchbacks and were able to take the turns easily at significantly higher than the recommended "caution" speed signs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't listen to the naysayers and have fun in your Challenger.

And if you have a chance to attend an SCCA autocross school, Do it!! You won't regret it!!

You just iced my cake. I'm finally going on line to find out if a SCCA track is near me.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's one pic. Sorry, we didn't get a lot of pics or video because when one of us was driving the other was working the course (i.e. setting up cones that got knocked or run over).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to get a GoPro to get video of driving the course. We get one free entry into a local event, so we're going to at least one more event soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts