Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried a few 0-60 runs yesterday with my SPS A8. Can't break through the 4.5s wall with my 16 SPS A8, no matter what. It's frustrating.

Here are my parameters

- Vehicle: 2016 Scat Pack Shaker A8 at 17k miles
- Tires: Atturo AZ850 275/40/20 all around (which were supposed to hook better than stock)
- Altitude: Sea Level
- Temperature: low 50s
- Road: Well paved street somewhere here in Socal
- Full tank of gas (I know it's extra weight, but I'm a light person at 140lbs)
- Traction Control: On/off (tried with both. off resulted in an unwanted burnout, lol)
- Launch Control: Tried with it at 1500RPM and without
- Launch Technique: With and without launch control, it's left foot on brake, right foot slightly applied on gas, then releasing left foot.
- transmission set to SPORT. Via paddle shifters set to first gear and letting transmission auto upshift

Observations:

- car hunting for traction and losing time there
- when not sliding and fishtailing around too much at start I'm getting between 4.5s-4.8s. But just can't get past the 4.5s no matter what.

Are there any accepted best practices for launching this car on street tires to achieve the manufacturer claimed 0-60 of 4.2s? I know much wider tires would do the trick, but then that wouldn't be close to stock and according to manufacturer's claims.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have hit 4.4 a couple of times, by easing into it (to get rolling), and then hammering it. Still have had some wheelspin, but not much. Give that a try and see how it works

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
It's the road and your tires. I was never able to break past 4.5s in either the 15 or 16 SRT's until I put on DR's and went to a track. There I got down to 4.1 in the 2015. 4.2s so far is my best in the 2016.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Never tried it with my R/T Scat Pack (or my Hellcat), but some report best 0-60 times by starting in 2nd gear and after taking off slapping the shifter over into automatic mode and letting the automatic shift. If you insist on shifting yourself you can either shift too soon or too late and bump up against the rev limiter.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never tried it with my R/T Scat Pack (or my Hellcat), but some report best 0-60 times by starting in 2nd gear and after taking off slapping the shifter over into automatic mode and letting the automatic shift. If you insist on shifting yourself you can either shift too soon or too late and bump up against the rev limiter.
Will have to try that. Maybe 1st gear is just too much for the street tires.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have hit 4.4 a couple of times, by easing into it (to get rolling), and then hammering it. Still have had some wheelspin, but not much. Give that a try and see how it works

I will have to try that. Maybe that whole left foot on brake and right foot on gas thing just doesn't work that well on these cars with street tires.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I FINALLY HIT 4.3s!!!!! I realized I wasn't using the launch control properly by not applying full throttle quickly.

Felt like doing a few more runs tonight with it being 50F outside. Set launch control with traction control on full to 1500 and kept consistently hitting 4.5s. Then put it to 2000 and hit my first 4.3s and another 4.4s!

Getting the launch control right every time is tricky though. Had the car jerk around a few times (maybe the brake wasn't applied hard enough?) and had it cancel out a few times when I didn't have the throttle applied consistently before release.

Does anybody know if launch control is particularly bad for the transmission? I did hear a slight metal ping at one point while the car was lunging forward while holding down the brake but nothing afterwards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts