Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I just discovered that my 2013 5.7 GC has massive sludge build up in the radiator. I found this out accidentally when I filled the coolant reservoir with windshield wiper fluid. (My liberty and challenger has the fill on the LHS but the GC has it on the RHS). It wasn't until I was about to close the hood that I realized my mistake. So I siphoned the reservoir tank and was about to pull it from the car when I noticed that there was sludge build-up in the radiator. I stuck my finger in and pulled out a heap of sludge. Bought the GC brand new on 1/1/2013 and never added coolant to the system...so I was like WTF?! Then I remembered the water pump was replaced by the dealership because it was faulty. I guess they must have mixed the HOAT and OAT coolants and after a couple of years driving I final stumbled on the problem. Looks like I will be spending tomorrow flushing the coolant system. Just giving all you guys a heads-up on making sure you KNOW what coolant your car is running and don't mix.

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
Probably pull the hoses off the radiator and flush the radiator and the hoses out, and the engine.

Don't know how the heater hoses are run - if they're similar to the Challenger:

-there are coolant pipes that run front to back on the engine - at back of head you can remove the clamp that holds the rubber hose to the metal coolant pipe. There's one on each side of the V block.

You'll want to flush the heater core out to make sure its just clear water coming out of that.

Your GC 5.7 may also have an oil / water cooler. The tell-tale is the cooler's return line "T" in the lower radiator hose. If you have this, the upper hose may be on a t-fitting off the thermostat housing. Probably would be a good idea to disconnect the upper hose at the t-stat and run water through it to flush through the lower radiator hose when its disconnected.

You'll want to try and flush out everything thoroughly to eliminate sludge residue since if there's anything left, it could cause more sludge.

It reminds me of flushing out the Dex-Cool goo out of a friends old Chevy S-10. I never saw jelly "chunks" come out of cooling system before...

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably pull the hoses off the radiator and flush the radiator and the hoses out, and the engine.

Don't know how the heater hoses are run - if they're similar to the Challenger:

-there are coolant pipes that run front to back on the engine - at back of head you can remove the clamp that holds the rubber hose to the metal coolant pipe. There's one on each side of the V block.

You'll want to flush the heater core out to make sure its just clear water coming out of that.
Yup. The coolant lines are set-up similar to the challenger. It is going to suck but I am glad I found this out. I have owned several vehicles and have never seen this amount of sludge. Maybe I should pour some HOAT and OAT in a glass jar as an experiment? The wife said...why don't we just go to the dealership and explain what happened....I laughed so hard I think I dislodged a blood-clot.

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
Here's one TSB from FCA

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0700412a.pdf

There's another that had pictures - of mixing the purple with other coolants - the hoses looked like there were filled with pink Jello that was mixed with sour cream in it (remember those Jello salads from the 50s and 60s?)

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,699 Posts
Today I just discovered that my 2013 5.7 GC has massive sludge build up in the radiator. I found this out accidentally when I filled the coolant reservoir with windshield wiper fluid. (My liberty and challenger has the fill on the LHS but the GC has it on the RHS). It wasn't until I was about to close the hood that I realized my mistake. So I siphoned the reservoir tank and was about to pull it from the car when I noticed that there was sludge build-up in the radiator. I stuck my finger in and pulled out a heap of sludge. Bought the GC brand new on 1/1/2013 and never added coolant to the system...so I was like WTF?! Then I remembered the water pump was replaced by the dealership because it was faulty. I guess they must have mixed the HOAT and OAT coolants and after a couple of years driving I final stumbled on the problem. Looks like I will be spending tomorrow flushing the coolant system. Just giving all you guys a heads-up on making sure you KNOW what coolant your car is running and don't mix.
How many miles do you have on the car?

I am only asking because I am wondering if it turned to sludge because it was past its normal service life (100K?). The HOAT coolant in my current Challenger was left in too long before I finally changed it out, and I had some sludge in the overflow and some sand-like stuff drain out as well.

I suppose anything is possible, but I would not think the techs that did your water pump were dumb enough to pour in the wrong coolant. I mean, yours should have had the OAT stuff, which would be purple from the factory fill, and the factory fill HOAT stuff is orange. So surely they would be able to tell right away if they were pouring the wrong coolant in there...though I suppose if he were colorblind...

Anyway, what I was thinking might have happened would be they drained the factory fill coolant, changed the water pump, refilled the system with the coolant drained out, and called it a day. If they did that, and you've got over 100K miles on the coolant now, that might be the cause of the sludging.

Or you might have drew the dullard tech on duty on that day and he did top it off with the wrong coolant, that would certainly sludge too...who knows...at least you caught it though. Good job! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles do you have on the car?

I am only asking because I am wondering if it turned to sludge because it was past its normal service life (100K?). The HOAT coolant in my current Challenger was left in too long before I finally changed it out, and I had some sludge in the overflow and some sand-like stuff drain out as well.

I suppose anything is possible, but I would not think the techs that did your water pump were dumb enough to pour in the wrong coolant. I mean, yours should have had the OAT stuff, which would be purple from the factory fill, and the factory fill HOAT stuff is orange. So surely they would be able to tell right away if they were pouring the wrong coolant in there...though I suppose if he were colorblind...

Anyway, what I was thinking might have happened would be they drained the factory fill coolant, changed the water pump, refilled the system with the coolant drained out, and called it a day. If they did that, and you've got over 100K miles on the coolant now, that might be the cause of the sludging.

Or you might have drew the dullard tech on duty on that day and he did top it off with the wrong coolant, that would certainly sludge too...who knows...at least you caught it though. Good job! :thumbsup:
It has 75K on it and I just found the repair bill and it had 20K on the clock when the pump was replaced so even if they used the original coolant it should still be good. It's 24F in the garage so I am in no mood to start tearing into my wife's daily driver. I bought my liberty when it had 120K (belonged to my sis who literally neglected the poor thing, all she had changed was the engine oil all other fluids were original) and when I changed the coolant out no sludge...although it was HOAT. Guess I am just going to make a parts run and stock up on some OAT and distilled water.

·
Premium Member
7,699 Posts
It has 75K on it and I just found the repair bill and it had 20K on the clock when the pump was replaced so even if they used the original coolant it should still be good. It's 24F in the garage so I am in no mood to start tearing into my wife's daily driver. I bought my liberty when it had 120K (belonged to my sis who literally neglected the poor thing, all she had changed was the engine oil all other fluids were original) and when I changed the coolant out no sludge...although it was HOAT. Guess I am just going to make a parts run and stock up on some OAT and distilled water.
Yeah, that mileage is technically still within either kinds' service life, as is the age I do believe, so neither of those should be the cause it sounds like...which leaves mixing non-OAT coolant as most likely culprit I would say.

Well hell, i was trying to stick up for those techs, but i guess i overestimated the techs' ability (or willingness?) to pay attention to what they're doing :disgust:

Or maybe i just underestimated YOUR ability to pick the worst techs?? :wink3:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that mileage is technically still within either kinds' service life, as is the age I do believe, so neither of those should be the cause it sounds like...which leaves mixing non-OAT coolant as most likely culprit I would say.

Well hell, i was trying to stick up for those techs, but i guess i overestimated the techs' ability (or willingness?) to pay attention to what they're doing :disgust:

Or maybe i just underestimated YOUR ability to pick the worst techs?? :wink3:
I do all my own wrenching, helps me keep track of the idiots working on my cars...but in this case the Jeep was still under warranty and a pump failure at 20K is absurd. The tech that did the work also did not attach the front clip properly and lost 2 large plastic fasteners that twist lock the bottom lip to the chassis...can't find a part number for those fasteners. It is crap like this that turns me into Polish Hulk. What is the difference between Polish Hulk and regular Hulk you ask? Well when regular Hulk gets mad he destroys things...when Polish Hulk gets mad he fixes broken things. :wink3:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Its just sad they cant Prestone...Never seen sludge with that.

good luck with the flush...

·
Premium Member
7,699 Posts
Its just sad they cant Prestone...Never seen sludge with that.

good luck with the flush...
My brother-in-law's weed guy has a baby-mama who used to have an oxy problem, and according to her NA sponsor, it's an open secret in their town that the local Prestone plant won't hire little people.

Now, at 6' 8", this confused me at first, as all people are little from my point of view. But after they explained there are even littler people, who call themselves little people (?), the reality of the situation set in.

Which is why for me personally, I will never support Prestone by buying any of their products. I mean, if that plant mgr can rise to the level of managing a chemical plant for that company while openly espousing his dislike for y'all, err, i mean some of y'all, then that's a company I will not abide!

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Sludge buildup is normal according to several Chrysler techs I’ve spoken to and we’ve had several people here that the same experience. Mine was like that after a year and a half with only 8k miles after I purchased the car new in 2012. The dealership replaced the reservoir and flushed the system and it’s been sludge free ever since.

·
Premium Member
7,699 Posts
Sludge buildup is normal according to several Chrysler techs I’ve spoken to and we’ve had several people here that the same experience. Mine was like that after a year and a half with only 8k miles after I purchased the car new in 2012. The dealership replaced the reservoir and flushed the system and it’s been sludge free ever since.
Interesting...so it's basically just an undocumented feature? Or possibly even an Easter Egg??

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,644 Posts
More like a Peep...

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like I said, I have never seen this kind of sludge in any of my vehicles. Sludge build up in a 4-5 year old car is not normal. I am going to crack open the system today and check how severe the buildup is. What I have noticed during the drive around town yesterday is the thermostat shows the car is running cold (2 bars below normal temp) but when I look at the engine oil temp it is running slightly higher than normal (temp bar runs past the middle slightly).

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
It seems some vehicles might have had some casting sand that might not have been completely flushed out of block during manufacturing.

I've noticed some 2 - 3 year old Challengers of club members that had a "sludge line" visible in the coolant tank where the coolant was still within its service life. Both with 6.1s (when they were relatively new) and 5.7s as well. Hadn't noticed any 392/6.4 doing this yet, but I'll keep a watch for it.

And others that had none at all. I did the 5 year interval on the 5.7 and it was a clean.

My '16 SPS is 2 years old and its all clear, the purple color of the coolant has turned pink at this point...some of them do that and some have stable color. I've seen other '15s /'16s where the dye color changed with time.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, I drained the system and cracked open the thermostat and unscrewed the temp sensor and everything is sludge free. Took my bore scope out and it looks like the sludge was only concentrated on the top of the radiation near the fill neck. Removed the bottom hose and flushed as much out with the garden hose. Pulled the block drains out to be certain all old coolant was out of the system. Flushed some water thru the block, threw in my thermostat from the challenger (also 203F and newer), closed the system and refilled with fresh OAT.

Looks like I pulled a chicken little. The old coolant has an orangish/pink color to it but at least now I KNOW it is OAT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts