Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yikes...weren't there enough Chargers destroyed during the filming of "Dukes" to keep destroying more?

Just watched the first video so far. I'm wondering if the drivers knew that they had to weight the truck of the Chargers heavily during filming to keep them from nosediving on the jumps?

7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was thinking the same thing man as that was some serious impact!
Hell my neck hurts just watching this...Its obvious some folks didnt know about the counter weight.
Im crying too man seeing another charger bite it..But I cant look away.

Yikes...weren't there enough Chargers destroyed during the filming of "Dukes" to keep destroying more?

Just watched the first video so far. I'm wondering if the drivers knew that they had to weight the truck of the Chargers heavily during filming to keep them from nosediving on the jumps?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
how many more of those have to die!? they need to start making the charger as a kit car so no more originals have to be wrecked!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
After watching the first one, I couldn't bear to watch any more...

·
Registered
460 Posts
I was thinking the same thing man as that was some serious impact!
Hell my neck hurts just watching this...Its obvious some folks didnt know about the counter weight.
Im crying too man seeing another charger bite it..But I cant look away.
No kidding!

I will say that the drifting portion of the video was cool to watch, though! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just a little bit of jumping cars 101 here. You do want the car to nose dive as the front end absorbs most of the impact that way and so the landing is easier on the driver.

Most if not all of the jumps in those videos come from events called ''Dukefest'' and they were done by members of the actual stunt team from the Dukes of Hazzard.

They put weight in the trunk during the show to have the cars land on 4 wheels so it could be ''believable'' that the cars kept going after landing. Of course, landing on all 4 wheels was harder on the stuntmen doing the jumps.

I learned these things from visiting a Dukes of Hazzard forum almost daily for about 5 years where a lot of the members met the cast and stunt team and asked them questions about the show, cars... Since i own a General Lee replica, i'm interested in knowing that kind of stuff.

I know it's hard to watch those cars being destroyed like that nowadays but all those cars were mostly junkers being dressed up to look good from a distance but had all the safety equipement they needed to do the jumps. Those cars were not registrable anymore and their best parts had been taken away or couldn't because they were too far gone.

I hate to see them destroyed but still would like to see a General Lee jumping in person.

7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wicked input thankyou .....

I agree Daddywizz year one has to be ready with a whole pre fab kit..
Funny thing is John Schnieder(Bo) will go down as the guy who ate all the Chargers up..Bad Carma.

I was stupified when I came across this event as well,but it is cool on so many other levels other than car distruction.

Just a little bit of jumping cars 101 here. You do want the car to nose dive as the front end absorbs most of the impact that way and so the landing is easier on the driver.

Most if not all of the jumps in those videos come from events called ''Dukefest'' and they were done by members of the actual stunt team from the Dukes of Hazzard.

They put weight in the trunk during the show to have the cars land on 4 wheels so it could be ''believable'' that the cars kept going after landing. Of course, landing on all 4 wheels was harder on the stuntmen doing the jumps.

I learned these things from visiting a Dukes of Hazzard forum almost daily for about 5 years where a lot of the members met the cast and stunt team and asked them questions about the show, cars... Since i own a General Lee replica, i'm interested in knowing that kind of stuff.

I know it's hard to watch those cars being destroyed like that nowadays but all those cars were mostly junkers being dressed up to look good from a distance but had all the safety equipement they needed to do the jumps. Those cars were not registrable anymore and their best parts had been taken away or couldn't because they were too far gone.

I hate to see them destroyed but still would like to see a General Lee jumping in person.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have personally attended a "Dukesfest" myself back in 2001. I own '69 Charger that is a General Lee replica too and we took it down to Cooter's Place in Virginia. That was before they did the stunt show and General Lee jumps however. Honestly, i love the Dukes of Hazzard, but i was/am completly against the "Dukesfest" festivals jumping Chargers in this day and age. Those cars mean alot more today than they did in the late 70's early 80's, back then they were just considered "used cars" unfrotionatly. Building a Charger today just to destroy is crazy, with all the resources now available to restore classic Mopars, "to far gone" is not as much of an issue today.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Building a Charger today just to destroy is crazy, with all the resources now available to restore classic Mopars, "to far gone" is not as much of an issue today.

I know that too far gone is hardly a reason nowadays but Charger restauration is easier now than it was even 2 years ago. Decent and much needed parts are now offered such as front fenders. I had to buy a used one when i restored mine because they not being reproduced.

Even if i'm not too happy seing those cars being jumped today, there's still those cars that can't be registered that would otherwise be crushed, they might as well go out in a big way.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
They're only cars so weld 'em and wreck 'em. But just stay the f*ck away from mine! :)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
It upsets me to see them continue to wreck 69 chargers. I thought it was over when they cancelled the hazzard series. While i enjoyed seeing a charger on TV when it first appeared, the leaps on tv sickened me. I had owned my own charger r/t previous to the TV show, and knew first hand that a car cannot leap thru the air and land without consequence, i hit a simple curb at 40mph and went airborne, and it took rebuilding most of the suspension afterwards.

As far as rebuilding or restoring old chargers being easy, thats all a matter of opinion, sure if you build it with aftermarket parts you can put together more of one today than you could over the last 30 years, but many of the new parts don't compare to the originals, which is why i've stuck with all my original sheetmetal, much of the chrome and stainless trim hasn't been available until the last 24 months, but i spent more on a few newer pieces than i did on the entire car over a 20 year time frame.

The sickening part is now, you almost never see a 68-70 charger, not in shows, never on the road, they are hoarded and protected and only seen in movies or magazines. I'm glad i still own my own, I'll never paint it orange, I can't put a confederate flag on the roof without being labelled a racist, and i can't use a dixie airhorn without sounding like a copycat...i owned a dixie horn in HS before the dukes ever came out, i got rid of it when the dukes came out. I had a confederate flag in my dorm room in college...in ALABAMA where it was looked on favorably at the time. I may not be able to raise the trappings of my youth in the south without selling out to the duke fandom, but i can still keep the charger's alive outside of their influence. I've owned my charger R/T SE now for over 30 years, it was my first car, and it will likely be my last. It will survive, its been one of a kind since i got it, creme yellow with a tan top, and saddle tan interior...its no wonder why i drive a DY yellow and tan interiored challenger R/T.

·
Banned
5,768 Posts
Old thread but PLEASE post pics of your General Lee Reps !!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Old thread but PLEASE post pics of your General Lee Reps !!!
Don't know how many guy's on here have a General Lee replica but i do, so here you go, a pic of my General Lee sittin' next to the Challenger, both Hemi-Orange!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
wow, is it really that much longer than the challenger? I though my challenger was big, it was 6" longer than our Honda Pilot and barely fit in the garage. That General Lee is a boat!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Here's mine alongside my Challenger.

And finally here is my Charger before it became a General Lee replica. Does that give you an idea of why i ordered my Challenger in PCP?

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
how many more of those have to die!? they need to start making the charger as a kit car so no more originals have to be wrecked!
I've been hoping Dynacorn would come out with a 2nd Gen Charger to help offset this since I first heard of them:mecry:

It upsets me to see them continue to wreck 69 chargers. I thought it was over when they cancelled the hazzard series. While i enjoyed seeing a charger on TV when it first appeared, the leaps on tv sickened me. I had owned my own charger r/t previous to the TV show, and knew first hand that a car cannot leap thru the air and land without consequence, i hit a simple curb at 40mph and went airborne, and it took rebuilding most of the suspension afterwards.

As far as rebuilding or restoring old chargers being easy, thats all a matter of opinion, sure if you build it with aftermarket parts you can put together more of one today than you could over the last 30 years, but many of the new parts don't compare to the originals, which is why i've stuck with all my original sheetmetal, much of the chrome and stainless trim hasn't been available until the last 24 months, but i spent more on a few newer pieces than i did on the entire car over a 20 year time frame.
I understand that many of these are parts cars that are not really salvagable from a financial standpoint but it's still sad to see them go. And you're right, a lot of the repops don't compare to the OEM stuff, many are far BETTER. AMD sheetmetal is far above and beyond trying to find 40-50 year old used peices and make them work. I bought both a front and rear valance from Stephens Performance at Carslile last year and was thoroughly impressed with the quality. I will buy a set of their fenders when they become available as well. The biggest thing to look for when it comes to repops though is the "Chrysler Authentic Restoration" label that is on all of the better products, many of which are made from the same tooling as the originals.:woot:

·
Vendor
12,437 Posts

the actor that portrayed Roscoe, James Best is a regular customer here at the dealership,
Luke

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,808 Posts
Even if these cars are on their last leg there must be a better use for the few salvageable parts left. There never were all that many Mopar Muscle cars built in comparison to Fords and Chevys, but because they are way cooler looking it seems every movie and TV show wants to use them today. This would be fine except they often also seem to want to destroy them in the filming process.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts