Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there’s a lot of threads for people who can’t get their homelink buttons to work at all, but does anyone have any problems with theirs not working only once in a while? I was able to program mine for my garage door just fine, but approx once a week or so it just won’t work. I sit outside pressing the button for a full 2 minutes before I give up and have to go in and open the door from the inside. Anyone else have a similar issue?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,619 Posts
Does the regular opener work when the Homelink is not working, or does neither work when this happens?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the regular opener work when the Homelink is not working, or does neither work when this happens?
I haven’t had the regular opener in the car with me when this happens so I haven’t tested that. After the last time I was gonna grab the opener and put it in the car but I forgot. I’ll have to remember to do that

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I have the same issue with the homelink in my 2018 Challenger. Every once in a while it really gives me problems. Never had any issues using the same garage door opener with the homelink system in my 2012 Impala or my 2005 LaCrosse - it works every time and works perfectly in the GM's. With the Challenger, sometimes I have to hold the button in for a while, while other times it works just by pressing it and letting go right away - and every once in a while, I can't get it working at all (or I have to sit there for a minute or two before it works). No idea why.

I've tried reprogramming multiple times. It just doesn't work as well as it has in my GM cars (an Impala and Buick LaCrosse).

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same issue with the homelink in my 2018 Challenger. Every once in a while it really gives me problems. Never had any issues using the same garage door opener with the homelink system in my 2012 Impala or my 2005 LaCrosse - it works every time and works perfectly in the GM's. With the Challenger, sometimes I have to hold the button in for a while, while other times it works just by pressing it and letting go right away - and every once in a while, I can't get it working at all (or I have to sit there for a minute or two before it works). No idea why.

I've tried reprogramming multiple times. It just doesn't work as well as it has in my GM cars (an Impala and Buick LaCrosse).
Sounds like same problem I’m having.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yeah, I've never even attempted to take it back for warranty service, because I know that nothing would ever be done for something like this. I don't know if it's some sort of compatibility issue with certain garage door openers or what. I don't see a lot of complaints about it though. It's pretty rare for it not to work at all and I can almost always get it to work in those cases if I mess with it long enough. Sometimes even just moving the car a little can make it work again (almost like it's a signal blockage issue or something). Who knows - but like I said, I don't think they would even have any way to troubleshoot the issue at a dealership - even if they were interested in resolving the issue. After all, there is no idiot light on, so nothing is wrong according to most dealerships. :)

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
If you have a wifi camera, LED or CFL lamps in the garage or door opener they can interfere. Any similar electronic device can interfere.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
If you have a wifi camera, LED or CFL lamps in the garage or door opener they can interfere. Any similar electronic device can interfere.
Hmm - interesting - never really though about that! I do think that I have somewhat-recently installed LED bulbs in the garage, although, I think they were installed quite a while after I got the Challenger (I've always had this issue), so probably not the issue in my case. But since I can't remember for sure, I'll definitely give that a shot (although, like I said, I don't have any issues with my Impala in the same garage).

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,734 Posts
Metal doors? Press the button when going on the street so the signal passes through the side of the house/basement. Mine works more reliably in front of my house, or the road behind it, than sitting in the driveway.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yeah, I've tried it from the street, in front of the garage, in the garage, etc. Sometimes, I even have issues closing the door after I've pulled into the garage. The homelink just seems real finiky on these Challengers (at least mine). I've never had a single issue with Homelink on my last two GM's for the same garage/opener - regardless of where I am when I press the buttons.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I've been having this issue a lot lately. I'll pull into my garage, turn the car off and the homelink button won't work (well, it's working as in the light is flashing, but it's not closing the door). Doesn't matter how long I hold it in. However, if I just sit there for a minute or two, then it works right away. Very strange. Has happened the last two days in a row.

I think I'll try replacing the LED bulbs in the garage, just to make sure that is not causing the issue, but I'm pretty sure I had the problem before I put the LED bulbs in.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,734 Posts
Try relearning your car to the remote from your garage door, and then relearning the opener to your car. Actually start there, put the opener in learn mode and re-learn your car. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Honestly, I've tried that multiple times now. Unfortunately, the situation never seems to get any better. Since the issue is intermittent and "random", there is no way to 'confirm" if it is fixed or not - other than waiting to see if it happens again, which usually happens within a a few days for me.

Being that it is intermittent and maybe possibly even opener or opener-brand specific - I really don't think taking it to a dealership for troubleshooting will get me anywhere either. They'll push the button once and use some tool to confirm that the signal is being sent and report "no issue found".

I do need to take the car in for some other minor things, so I guess it won't hurt to mention it, but I don't expect to get any resolution.

I'll have to double-check on the opener brand - maybe others having issues will have the same brand opener. It's just so strange how it sometimes works perfectly and other times not so much. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts