Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know if all of you hate FCA as much as I do, but their strangle hold on us Challenger lovers really sucks ass.

With that being said, here is another Dodge Homelink Story...

Purchased an overhead console with Compass-Homelink module out of a 2015 Challenger SXT Plus for my base model 2016 SXT.

Console arrived in great shape, and expected to be able to order the correct console to a-pillar harness with no issue.

I WAS WRONG!.

Then tried to lookup wiring schematic, and was met with only partial success.

So....Am stuck with a 2015 Homelink overhead console, wanting to install into a 2016, and have no harness, schematic or wiring guide.

Enter McGuyver....

Pulled out my handy-dandy multi-meter, disassembled the Homelink module on the new console, and went to work identifying the ground. Easy peasy - nice and cheesy. Got it mapped to pin 4 on the Homelink Module. Then tried to ID power - don't F this up..... remember high school electronics and your 20 years in the car stereo industry..... looks like..... Pin 1 on the factory 4 pin molex.

Factory 4 pin molex is getting in the way - snip-snip (we dont need no stinkin warranteeee). Soldering iron out and connect 4 wires to the existing 4 pins. Zip tie to keep from breaking loose. Snap a couple of pics for posterity, and I think this might work,

Score: A Direct Hit!

Hey, if I messed this up, it's only a loss of a Fitty. Hooked up the newly identified power and ground to a battery, and BINGO - we have lights when I press the buttons.

Looked up the programming sequence and tried my existing garage opener and WALLA! It programmed into the console. Hit the magic button on the garage opener, and we have action>> almost as must action as a stripper on a Saturday night.

Double checked, and low and behold - I press the button - the garage door moves. We have ourselves a WINNER!.

Now to integrate into my Challenger. Looked up as many ancillary wiring diagrams as I could find on the BBB Industries website and tried to verify in-car with my findings.

Guess what? All matched and I'm on the home stretch.

Pulled off the passenger side a-pillar, found the factory molex at the base and began verifying my findings.

Orange w/ Light Green Stripe - Courtesy Lamp +
Black - Overhead Console Ground
Gray - B+ from BCM (dead because option not programmed into BCM) <where am I going to get power???>
Orange w. Gray Stripe - Illumination circuit from factory dimmer.

Looking at my pics - Ground to Black - Pin 4
B+ Switched, my Red - Hook to line I ran from center console cigarette lighter plug for radar detector
My White( to Orange w. Gray Stripe for illumination
Ground - Hook to Black at harness.

Pin 3??? CANbus maybe???

Buttons light up??? Check.
Garage Door opens??? Check.

Big old FU to FCA for being *****s about their factory accessories and components!!!!

I'll work on the handing chad - I mean wire later, but in the meantime, I'll enjoy my fitty doller ebay console with my garage door with a beer and a smile.

Good luck and say a good old screw you to FCA whenever possible - Stick it to the MAN!!!.

Andy in East Tennessee
The Audio Guru

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guru, wanted to thank you for your very informative post. With the help of your post and a little logic of my own I installed the same homelink module model LAHL5 I bought off of ebay for $45. It didn't come with a wiring harness. So I did a little experimenting myself with a bench top power supply and found that all I needed was 12v and ground. Pins 1 and 4. So I decided what better place to tap power than the dome lights located in the same overhead system. I vampire tapped into the 3 wire harness that feeds the dome lights pin 3 black wire is ground and wires to pin 4 Of the homelink module. I also tapped into pin 2 of the dome light harness (middle pin). And wired that to pin 1 of the homelink module. Programmed unit installed and bam I'm good to go!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I found this thread while searching for a wiring diagram for a 2014 Challenger overhead console. I have a couple of questions, I was able to get the homelink to work on my benchtop 12V power supply (black-ground, gray-homelink) however I cannot get the vanity lights to work. I tested the bulbs and they illuminate. I am adding this overhead console to my custom 66 Nova (yeah I know...a Chevy, but my daily driver is 2019 Charger GT) and was planning to run a separate circuit for the homelink and use the dome light circuit to turn the vanity lights on when the doors are opened and also have an always hot wire added to the vanity light so it will function independently of the door switch. I have attached pics of the console and the wire connector. Any advise on what wires do what would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts