Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so right now I'm debating between the 5.7 or 6.4 liter and whether or not to keep it NA and just make a few simple mods (E85, meth injection), or going the supercharger or turbo route. So I'm looking for honest feedback from folks that have done any of the above. What are some of the praises and criticisms of adding boost to your car? And do you regret doing any of it? Also, please comment if using "eco mode" still works if you have a supercharger or turbo. Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,524 Posts
I run a magnuson SC and have no regrets about it. However, installing a super charger on a 5.7 RT puts you at Scat Pack price range. I have always wanted to run a PD type supercharger so for me it was worth it. Total cost was basically the cost of the kit (installed myself) $7200 which included unlocked PCM, tuner, tuning, upgraded fuel pump and supercharger kit.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
1,856 Posts
If you're worried about "eco mode" get a Prius...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Okay, so right now I'm debating between the 5.7 or 6.4 liter and whether or not to keep it NA and just make a few simple mods (E85, meth injection), or going the supercharger or turbo route. So I'm looking for honest feedback from folks that have done any of the above. What are some of the praises and criticisms of adding boost to your car? And do you regret doing any of it? Also, please comment if using "eco mode" still works if you have a supercharger or turbo. Thanks!
Personally.....I'm old school. I love a NA Motor......because it's pure motor...... and without all the added heat and stresses a blown motor has to deal with. Plus....when you show your tail lights to a blown car.....the victory is ultra sweet :)

Go drive a 6.4.....let that be your decision.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Just me, but if you're purchasing new, get as much factory HP as you can afford.

Doing HP mods to these engines isn't cheap, and one can't up the HP to the next factory level cheaper than what the factory offers.

The old days are long gone. No more add a good exhaust, headers, cam, and a manifold, for a large jump in power.

Look at what the HP per CI is on these engines. Couldn't even dream these numbers as possible back then.

·
Vendor
11,819 Posts
Personally.....I'm old school. I love a NA Motor......because it's pure motor...... and without all the added heat and stresses a blown motor has to deal with. Plus....when you show your tail lights to a blown car.....the victory is ultra sweet :)

Go drive a 6.4.....let that be your decision.
good luck with that one, you will have more money in that na engine and still get your doors blows off by boost

·
Registered
398 Posts
good luck with that one, you will have more money in that na engine and still get your doors blows off by boost
REALLY?! So far TWO Hellcats have eaten my dust at Gainesville raceway in the 1/4 mile. One a manual and the other an A8. Both had big Drag radials and minor mods. Ever heard the phrase...."spinnin ain't winnin"!

There is a traction limit on the track and especially on the street. All that power hurts you while you watch tail lights get small real fast.

I have raced different things most of my life....most of my wins are against people with more power. The right COMBO is the answer. Look at this forum....Plenty of Hellcats, Redeyes and Demons running 12's and 13's. With good weather I'm in the low 11's....and I paid 39,300 for my new Scat in 16.

Gotta do your home work to go fast. For those super bad cars that run 10's...well..they should beat me! They have a LOT more power. My last race was against a new Vette than runs 10.1's around 133 mph. (blown) . He only beat me by 2 lengths at the very end of the track. I owned him most of the way. If it was 1/8th mile.....I SMOKED him!

I'll take my 392 NA motor any day and save my self 30-50 grand along the way....Gene :)

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I put 2 car lengths in the end on this trailered big block Nova last year.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Right. I'm sure Larry Larson wouldn't be as well known if he was running just NA
You would be surprised how many Camaro ZL1's (700hp+) , Vettes, Mustangs and blown Dodges get killed by 392's with people that have done their homework. A hooked up tuned 392 is a handful for anyone and hard to beat on the street.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
If you're at all familiar with the traffic in the Tacoma/Seattle area, I think you'll understand why I mentioned cylinder deactivation. Traffic only clears once you get up in the mountains.
MDS and FI are not a good match at all. Only a matter of when and where it'll go bang.

You'll have a hard time finding a reputable tuner that would even touch that concept.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So i test drove today a scat pack and scat pack widebody. For some reason, the widebody didn't have the shaker hood (which I like better).
I asked the salesperson "so what's the difference in the wide body?"
"there is no difference"
"really? aren't the tires bigger in the back?" bending down to look at the tires :unsure:
"yes, it does appear that the tires are bigger":LOL:
"okay, being that it's a wide body, does it handle any differently?"
"no, there's no difference in the wide body"
hmmm.....
They also didn't know how to quickly explore the different drive modes-"my Manager won't let us fool around with the drive modes" sigh:oops:
So, in reality, I'm sure there's a bit of a difference with the body- does it have better handling around curves, in the rain, less likely to spin the tires?

For some reason, or maybe it was just the particular car I drove, the wide body car didn't have as firm of a ride as the regular. Isn't it supposed to be the same suspension?
I really liked it. Within the first 10 seconds of driving the car, the phrase "power luxury car" popped into my mind. Definitely a classy car!!:cool:

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
760 Posts
For some reason, or maybe it was just the particular car I drove, the wide body car didn't have as firm of a ride as the regular. Isn't it supposed to be the same suspension?
I really liked it. Within the first 10 seconds of driving the car, the phrase "power luxury car" popped into my mind. Definitely a classy car!!:cool:
Get the window sticker, look at what all it has. Then read up on what is in each option group. Did it have the "Adaptive Damping Suspension" (previously standard on SRT 392, now a Scat Pack option) if it did, that would ride smoother (like a base RT until activated then ride firmer than a Scat Pack).

1 - 20 of 69 Posts