Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 T/A I am noticing that the hood appears to be bending just in front of the hydraulic hood shocks. When seated in the driver seat I can see the dip where the hood is lower than the fender. Has anyone else noticed this or am I losing my mind?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have a 2017 TA I am noticing that the hood appears to be bending just infront of the hydraulic hood shocks. When seated in the driver seat I can see the dip where the hood is lower than the fender. Has anyone else noticed this or am I losing my mind?
No, you are not losing your mind. You bought a Dodge. A mass market, American car. The quality control standards are set by the base model (SXT). In other words, regardless of what you paid for your car, $40,000, $50,000, $90,000, what you really bought is a $26,000 car with options.

These cars have panel alignment, panel deformation, and panel gap issues.

I'm a professional collision tech with an 18 Scat Pack. I ordered the car and was there when it rolled off the trailer. These cars come from the factory this way.

I can pick my car apart, and I could do the same to any other car on this forum.

The absolute last thing you want to do is have a shop attempt to fix a wave on an aluminum hood, in the strut support area.

Live with it or sell it. That is my advice. We have had more than one person here, have their car bought back, because of nit picking that turned into body shop nightmares.

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
Thankfully, my 2009 SRT build was excellent. Back in November 2008, the Challenger was still new and exciting and the factory workers took great pride in building it. Probably, after producing 500,000 over 9 years, it is just another car to them.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I’ve got that issue with my ‘16, both sides. Oregon has good advice, and I intend to do absolutely nothing about getting it repaired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
No, you are not losing your mind. You bought a Dodge. A mass market, American car. The quality control standards are set by the base model (SXT). In other words, regardless of what you paid for your car, $40,000, $50,000, $90,000, what you really bought is a $26,000 car with options.

These cars have panel alignment, panel deformation, and panel gap issues.

I'm a professional collision tech with an 18 Scat Pack. I ordered the car and was there when it rolled off the trailer. These cars come from the factory this way.

I can pick my car apart, and I could do the same to any other car on this forum.

The absolute last thing you want to do is have a shop attempt to fix a wave on an aluminum hood, in the strut support area.

Live with it or sell it. That is my advice. We have had more than one person here, have their car bought back, because of nit picking that turned into body shop nightmares.

Wow! I wonder, since you obviously think so little of the car, why you bought one.

I'm on my second Challenger having had a '13 R/T and now a '16 SP and I'm perfectly happy. I had no such issues with the first and have none with the current one. If the cars were as bad as you say they are I dare say these forums would be in a constant uproar with complaints and the Challenger wouldn't be selling like they are.

Now, I would agree with your professional assessment on the issue of having the aluminum hood repaired. If that happened with my car, I'd just have them put a new one on it.

Maybe I just got extremely lucky to have the only two Challengers with no body issues. Yay me!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Wow! I wonder, since you obviously think so little of the car, why you bought one.

I'm on my second Challenger having had a '13 R/T and now a '16 SP and I'm perfectly happy. I had no such issues with the first and have none with the current one. If the cars were as bad as you say they are I dare say these forums would be in a constant uproar with complaints and the Challenger wouldn't be selling like they are.

Now, I would agree with your professional assessment on the issue of having the aluminum hood repaired. If that happened with my car, I'd just have them put a new one on it.

Maybe I just got extremely lucky to have the only two Challengers with no body issues. Yay me!

You are making assumptions that are inaccurate. I love the car, but I knew what I was buying. I work on an assortment of vehicles everyday and I could absolutely pick your car apart and show you waves, distortions, dirt, bad seam sealer and a list of other things you would never see unless they were pointed out by a professional.

I will even put money on it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,771 Posts
Guess I'm also lucky. All seams even, all panels straight, no roof dimples...

016.jpg

024.jpg

DSC_0665.jpg

A Guy

Reactions: sdr2711

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Guess I'm also lucky. All seams even, all panels straight, no roof dimples...

A Guy

Yeah, straight, maybe. But you really need to clean that thing up!

>:)

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I don't look at my car that close. I don't want to know because it will tick me off I'd either sell it or total it and collect the insurance. Been a Dodge guy all my life, these threads on here upset me.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
the hood - to - fender alignment near the cowl is not consistent as they come off the line.

Often, the hood seems to sit a bit lower than the edge at top of fender.

One of the guys had a Hellcat that was probably 1/4" low on the passenger side. You could see this misalignment from better than 20' away.

And as Oregon Scat mentioned, on the line, a $27k base SXT and $70k widebody Hellcat come down the line, right next to each other. The distortions / waves in the stampings will be present on some, not as much on others. The panel alignments could be better - I've seen some that were good and others that I could spot from a distance away.

The solution would have been to loosen the hood bracket on the apron and move it up to level the hood out at that rear corner. If more was needed, then try to adjust or shim the bracket to hood area.

I remember going to my local dealer to see a new 2010 Furious Fuchsia SRT8 that came in (photograph the car) and this example (with $24k markup, I might add...) had the worst body alignment I'd every seen. Passenger side door was near 3/8" low and the roof rail trim looked like someone used a hammer to install it.

Note the difference in the molding where the door and rear quarter window meet.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,771 Posts
Yeah, straight, maybe. But you really need to clean that thing up!

>:)
Yeah, I'm embarrased...

I don't look at my car that close. I don't want to know because it will tick me off I'd either sell it or total it and collect the insurance. Been a Dodge guy all my life, these threads on here upset me.
If you buy a Ferrari, you pick. If you buy a Dodge, unless it's heinous, you just think of it as character :)

A Guy

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have a quarter panel dimple. You can only see it if look at it a certain way. Probably come right out with a paintless dent guy or a plunger and suck it out. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. Fit and finish not so good. I just wanted my baby.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ve got that issue with my ‘16, both sides. Oregon has good advice, and I intend to do absolutely nothing about getting it repaired.

Ok that is exactly what mine is doing. Ya mine is on both sides as well. The car has 3200 miles on it. Eventually I will be putting a carbon fiber hood on it anyways so I am not going to make a big deal of it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Ok that is exactly what mine is doing. Ya mine is on both sides as well. The car has 3200 miles on it. Eventually I will be putting a carbon fiber hood on it anyways so I am not going to make a big deal of it.

It was off on the front too and I was able to minimize it by turning the set stops a few turns. The middle section, however, looks like it would necessitate a hood change, and I’m not gonna do that. Your plan to swap the original with carbon fiber is a good one.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Oregonscat brother...if you close enough you'll find something and some things are definitely better left alone. But we still love them cause their ours. Just like your dog that's too ugly to bring in public but when you do everyone thinks it's cute.

·
Registered
134 Posts

LOL! I hate to rain on your parade, but I'm on my 3rd Challenger now and the quality has been excellent on all 3..:)

2012 SRT Yellow Jacket -> Perfect.
2015 Scat Pack - > Hood misaligned, fixed by dealer under warranty
2015 Hellcat -> Perfect. The build crew had pride in this blue beauty

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
LOL! I hate to rain on your parade, but I'm on my 3rd Challenger now and the quality has been excellent on all 3..:)

2012 SRT Yellow Jacket -> Perfect.
2015 Scat Pack - > Hood misaligned, fixed by dealer under warranty
2015 Hellcat -> Perfect. The build crew had pride in this blue beauty
Me thinks you quoted the wrong post. My post said I hadn't had any problems with my cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts