Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at a car show today in Ringgold, GA. Had hood up and supported with the hood support rod. Wind lifted hood up all the way to vertical (fortunately didn't mess hood up or hit windshield) and then dropped it with support rod stickiing out to the front. Bent the metal piece where the support rod sticks into the sheet metal. Did scratch the underneath of the hood at one place but not too bad. No visible damage from the outside. Looks like I'll be ordering a set of gas hood struts to prevent this from happening again. Never would have thought of something like this happening.

The wind wasn't all that bad either--it was a real nice day. But I guess with the large hood surface area involved, the wind didn't have to be that strong to do what it did.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
That sucks. I'm glad there wasn't more damage.

When I had my charger, I hated the prop rod so I installed struts. After trading it in figured I was going to have to do it again. I was so happy the first time I popped the hood and saw it already had them.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I thought the hood struts were unnecessary and just added a little more weight to an already heavy car. May have to re-think that view after your story, as people often ask to see the HEMI.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,121 Posts
Same thing happened to a fellow member here in my area.
There was a fair amount of damage.
They put the struts on after that. I think I better do the same.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Happend to me about 2 years ago while detailing the engine compartment. A strong gust of wind pinned the hood to the windshield. Had slight damage to the back corners of the hood repaired. Never leave the hood on the prop with any wind. Struts will save you from this nitemare. The hood vents wont stop a 40 mph gust from screwin with your car.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The hood vents wont stop a 40 mph gust from screwin with your car.
I wasn't trying to imply that they would. Only that they must relieve some pressure in that situation. Should be standard equipment on all trim levels IMO, along with the hood struts and limited slip differential.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had installed the "functional" hood scoops already.

I ordered the struts last night from Mopar Super Center.

·
Registered
311 Posts
happened to me too, bro!

I came back and the damn strut was sticking out with the hood darn near closed on top...

I got a small chip in the paint and the mounting bracket was bent. Crazy!

I figured, 'oh well, it's a done deal now'.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This happened to a friends PCP Charger on Power Tour. The prop rod stuck out the side of the hood and caused a couple of bad paint chips. Hood struts was on the top of my list.

·
Registered
939 Posts
That happened to me too last year. I was at the track and went to the concession stand and had left my hood up came back and the prop rod was sticking out the side. I never leave it open unless I'm close enough to grab the hood now.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It also happened to my Challenger on a windy afternoon at a Saturday cruise-in

·
Registered
442 Posts
I know that functional scoops will do nothing to prevent an uplift.

As for added weight? I'd say they add about 4oz. apiece, so maybe 1/2 a pound in total to a 4100 lb. car. I suppose you could shave about .01 seconds off your 1/4 mile without them...

·
Registered
954 Posts
the hoods are very light even though they dont feel like it.thanks for the info,i never even thought about the possiblity of wind catching them!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts