Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got in a wreck so I replaced the front bumper but when I shut my hood all the way down there is a decent size gap up from the hood to the front end. I have adjusted the rubber adjusters down but it still has a lot of play and wiggle room. Can I loosen up the bolts on the latch and push it down? Or is there any other advice on fixing this? The actual hood and frame were not damaged, I assume the collision pushed my front end up enough to mess with the hood

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,657 Posts
Recently got in a wreck so I replaced the front bumper but when I shut my hood all the way down there is a decent size gap up from the hood to the front end. I have adjusted the rubber adjusters down but it still has a lot of play and wiggle room. Can I loosen up the bolts on the latch and push it down? Or is there any other advice on fixing this? The actual hood and frame were not damaged, I assume the collision pushed my front end up enough to mess with the hood
You do not detail the type of accident/the severity but it is possible the accident pushed the bumper mounts out of position.

The leading edge of the hood apparently does not line up well with the front bumper. What kind of fit/alignment is there between the front bumper and other body parts, like the front fenders?

The SOP when repairing a car is to tear down the car -- in this case remove the damaged parts including of course the front bumper -- and check the hard points in this case where the bumper mounts to the car that these are in their proper location. This is so when new parts are fitted they go back into the same position as they were in when the car left the factory assembly line. And so undamaged parts -- in this case the hood -- line up properly, fit properly.

Assuming during your repair of the car you did not loosen the hood latch and reposition it and this accounts for the bad fit of the hood I believe the correct solution is to have the front of the car checked for damage you did not realize was there and if there is damage have it fixed and then ensure the front bumper and hood fits are correct.

So you might be better to take the car to a body shop and get a professional's opinion. It could be that moving the hood latch assembly is permissible. But it also could be more extensive work is required to ensure the car is brought back to its pre collision condition.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,429 Posts
Pictures sure would help too, I bet.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
It's fairly east to assemble these bumpers wrong at the top.

The grill surround needs to be under the bumper flange that runs along the hood.

An easy check for this: open your hood, look at the long rubber strip that is held on with plastic rivets and seals the bumper to the hood.

If the long rubber seal is attached to black plastic, it's assembled wrong. If it's attached to body color bumper, it's right.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,657 Posts

The grill surround needs to be under the bumper flange that runs along the hood.

An easy check for this: open your hood, look at the long rubber strip that is held on with plastic rivets and seals the bumper to the hood.

If the long rubber seal is attached to black plastic, it's assembled wrong. If it's attached to body color bumper, it's right.
Good info. I like an incorrectly installed bumper cover rather than a bent up nose as an explanation for the mismatched hood fit.

·
Registered
139 Posts

You saved me! Can't believe I made that mistake. The giveaway should have been the seal not being flush a few inches in at each corner. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
You saved me! Can't believe I made that mistake. The giveaway should have been the seal not being flush a few inches in at each corner. Thanks again.
It's a very easy mistake to make. I'm a collision tech, I made the same assembly error on my first Challenger bumper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts