Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what options are for hoods. Would it be best to just get a challenger with the hood I want from the dealership or go aftermarket? Sorry if this has been beat to death trying to make decisions on what model I'm going to get.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
What model of Challenger are you looking at? Hoods aren't really an option, it depends which model you get. I am just trying to figure out what you are asking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Well if you want a Hellcat or Demon hood, I suggest you just buy the Hellcat or Demon, as you get some other neat things besides just a hood. Shaker hood, I would go with AFR as they make the neatest shaker IMO. If you want the T/A (SRT) Hood look at which one of those fits your budget and go factory.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
You're trying to decide which Challenger to buy based on what the hood looks like?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're trying to decide which Challenger to buy based on what the hood looks like?
No. Trying to decide what model. Or just get the RT and buy a shaker hood later for it. Or go with the model that has The shaker hood already on it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What model of Challenger are you looking at? Hoods aren't really an option, it depends which model you get. I am just trying to figure out what you are asking.

Looking at the RT. Not sure if its an option at the dealership or if i should go aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Looking at the RT. Not sure if its an option at the dealership or if i should go aftermarket.
The best thing to do is buy a Shaker equipped R/T from the dealer, cause if you buy the R/T than want to add the shaker, it will cost you more than if the car is already equipped with it. Or you could go aftermarket, but why.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
The best thing to do is buy a Shaker equipped R/T from the dealer, cause if you buy the R/T than want to add the shaker, it will cost you more than if the car is already equipped with it. Or you could go aftermarket, but why.

Unless he wants an AFR shaker, which IMO is superior to the factory one in both Form and Function.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Unless he wants an AFR shaker, which IMO is superior to the factory one in both Form and Function.
Just don't see buying something that the manufacturer already offers. I would rather have an aluminum hood to fiberglass. As far as function, they both do the same thing, pull colder air from the outside. Technically, the Shaker from the 1970s was more beneficial than todays version. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just purchased a Hellcat hood from the dealership. I'm a bit biased since I get an employee discount. Shipping to the dealer is also free, vs. getting something aftermarket that is not near your home. OEM also has superior quality IMO,. You would then have to paint it to match your car. it comes in black e coat primer. You also have to purchase the plastic vent screens (3 of them) and the isolator pad that goes on under the hood. You are looking at around $2000 to do this. So, if you can get a R/T with the shaker option for $2000 more from the dealer, that would probably be the best route to take. But, if you are wanting an entry level R/T and just want a nicer looking hood, this is an option.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Just don't see buying something that the manufacturer already offers. I would rather have an aluminum hood to fiberglass. As far as function, they both do the same thing, pull colder air from the outside. Technically, the Shaker from the 1970s was more beneficial than todays version. Just my opinion.

This is the AFR set up, this is for use with a shaker bubble, Max air scoop (Similar to Speedlogix) and a T/A (340 Six Pack) Style.

AFR Hood with Functional Ram-Air System : AFR Hood with Max Air Scoop -FunctionalRam Air System

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
This hood was part of the Mopar Appearance Package a few years back, also came with a different rear spoiler.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts