Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Successfully installed my hood pins yesterday. Here is my take on the process. Keep in mind that this is only my subjective impression and only applies to my 21' SP.
First, do not let the videos/pictures lull you into thinking this is a 30 minute easy job for someone who has never done it. There is real potential to ruin your hood. And I nearly did.
Everything was going swimmingly until the hood pin brackets were bolted in and it was time to drill the hood.

For some reason, my brackets, as came out of the box, rested firmly on top of the headlights under the corner that holds the pins. My son (who has auto body experience) quickly noticed that this placed the pin angle so that if we marked the hood and drilled at that angle, we would come out on top so close to the front of the hood we would be in the contour channel of the hood molding. This would prevent the trim rings (escutcheon plate) from being able to lay on a flat surface and effectively ruin the hood. :cry:
He also observed that from videos and photos that there appeared to be 1" to 1 1/2" clearance between the top of the headlight and pin bracket directly under the pin.
We bent the bracket up to achieve 1 1/4" clearance (measured with calipers) to move the pin location back towards the windshield slightly.. This was strictly "eye balling" it as to where the pins would be on the hood so we were on our own at this point. Nerve wracking! But it achieved the desired results.

Drilling the hood from underneath (1st cut) is very difficult as you are drilling straight up against a 45' piece of sheet metal with a hole saw. This made a somewhat jagged hole but my son cleaned it up really well with a half round file and the grommet hid the rest.The top layer down was much easier.
The whole process took 4 hours as we took great care to tape/drape all surfaces and vacuum all shavings. Measurements were taken 5 times before a cut was made.
I am very pleased with the outcome and the only thing not "perfect" is the trim ring on the driver's side is very slightly rotated. I was concentrating so hard on up/down/left/right that I missed perfect leveling of the Mopar logo by a couple of degrees. Once the adhesive touches the paint, you are committed. There is no repositioning! Would a judge notice? Perhaps. But with the pin installed it is unnoticeable. Finished without so much as a scratch on the car! :p

Special "hat tip" to Luke at Steve White Motors. Not only did he take my call Saturday but sent photos back and forth to help me get through the process. He even checked in with me last night to make sure everything worked out OK.
This guy is a real class act!
Before and after photos:
Car Plant Vehicle Grille Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting Grille

·
Registered
113 Posts
This looks very tricky on a shaker hood. The hood isn't flat across the front as you noted. Is the factory hood pin an option on the shakers? You and your son did an outstanding job, looks great. I cannot imagine the stress drilling holes on a new car. If mine didn't have them, I could not have done it. Well done!

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This looks very tricky on a shaker hood. The hood isn't flat across the front as you noted. Is the factory hood pin an option on the shakers? You and your son did an outstanding job, looks great. I cannot imagine the stress drilling holes on a new car. If mine didn't have them, I could not have done it. Well done!
No, if you get the Shaker, it removes the hood pin option. Now I know why.
Thanks for the kind words. I am actually exhausted today from the process.
Relaxing with a Bloody Mary my lovely wife just made me! ;)

Reactions: Loopy

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,607 Posts
That turned out Great and You and your Son should be Very Proud of yourself bot h for getting it done right and for the fact that you had the guts to drill your hood!

Again, Nice job and the pins look Great especially with that blue and the Shaker! (y)

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That turned out Great and You and your Son should be Very Proud of yourself bot h for getting it done right and for the fact that you had the guts to drill your hood!

Again, Nice job and the pins look Great especially with that blue and the Shaker! (y)
Thanks much.
To me, nothing says American Muscle like a Shaker and hood pins!

·
Registered
2021 F8 Green Scat Pack Shaker
333 Posts
Whew. You had me on pins and needles as I read your post. Glad it all turned out OK. Looks great. (y)
You had me on hood pins and needles! (Fixed that for ya)

Successfully installed my hood pins yesterday. Here is my take on the process. Keep in mind that this is only my subjective impression and only applies to my 21' SP.
First, do not let the videos/pictures lull you into thinking this is a 30 minute easy job for someone who has never done it. There is real potential to ruin your hood. And I nearly did.
Everything was going swimmingly until the hood pin brackets were bolted in and it was time to drill the hood.

For some reason, my brackets, as came out of the box, rested firmly on top of the headlights under the corner that holds the pins. My son (who has auto body experience) quickly noticed that this placed the pin angle so that if we marked the hood and drilled at that angle, we would come out on top so close to the front of the hood we would be in the contour channel of the hood molding. This would prevent the trim rings (escutcheon plate) from being able to lay on a flat surface and effectively ruin the hood. :cry:
He also observed that from videos and photos that there appeared to be 1" to 1 1/2" clearance between the top of the headlight and pin bracket directly under the pin.
We bent the bracket up to achieve 1 1/4" clearance (measured with calipers) to move the pin location back towards the windshield slightly.. This was strictly "eye balling" it as to where the pins would be on the hood so we were on our own at this point. Nerve wracking! But it achieved the desired results.

Drilling the hood from underneath (1st cut) is very difficult as you are drilling straight up against a 45' piece of sheet metal with a hole saw. This made a somewhat jagged hole but my son cleaned it up really well with a half round file and the grommet hid the rest.The top layer down was much easier.
The whole process took 4 hours as we took great care to tape/drape all surfaces and vacuum all shavings. Measurements were taken 5 times before a cut was made.
I am very pleased with the outcome and the only thing not "perfect" is the trim ring on the driver's side is very slightly rotated. I was concentrating so hard on up/down/left/right that I missed perfect leveling of the Mopar logo by a couple of degrees. Once the adhesive touches the paint, you are committed. There is no repositioning! Would a judge notice? Perhaps. But with the pin installed it is unnoticeable. Finished without so much as a scratch on the car! :p

Special "hat tip" to Luke at Steve White Motors. Not only did he take my call Saturday but sent photos back and forth to help me get through the process. He even checked in with me last night to make sure everything worked out OK.
This guy is a real class act!
Before and after photos: View attachment 1023921 View attachment 1023922
Looks great! Congrats!

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Hellraisin M6
357 Posts
Wow awesome job. That first post was an emotional rollercoaster but I'm glad to see the final product :)

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow awesome job. That first post was an emotional rollercoaster but I'm glad to see the final product :)
Man, thanks. Trust me, it was an emotional process. So glad it's over.
And glad I didn't trust someone else (who had never done it either) to hack away at it.

Reactions: Loopy

·
Registered
2021 Challenger SXT, Octane Red Metallic, Ruby Red/Black Int.
296 Posts
Looks good. Stupid question though, do you have to have the cables attached to them?
Yes, adds to the coolness factor.

The first hole was the worst, wasn't it?

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks good. Stupid question though, do you have to have the cables attached to them?
Do you mean are the cables attached to the hood pin mounting plate?
Actually, that's a good question and something I left out of my first post.
Yes they are but not with the nylon screws that came with the kit. The nylon screws were screwed if so far the threads at the base were stripped and we literally had to destroy them to get them out.
But they are just M4-.70 x 16 screws so a quick trip to Lowes had button head cap screws with hex head for replacements. I like them better anyway.
Brown Wood Font Hardwood Transparency

The first hole was the worst, wasn't it?
Yes, because after that, for good or bad you are committed.
I am not going to lie. I had a very sick feeling in my stomach until it became clear this was going to work. Unfortunately, that wasn't until near the very end!

·
Registered
2021 Challenger SXT, Octane Red Metallic, Ruby Red/Black Int.
296 Posts
Yes, because after that, for good or bad you are committed.
I am not going to lie. I had a very sick feeling in my stomach until it became clear this was going to work. Unfortunately, that wasn't until near the very end!
I agree, after drilling the second hole and seeing the pin line up in the center was a good feeling.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
681 Posts
If it doesn't give you pause to drill into a new hood (or any body part for that matter), you probably shouldn't be doing it. It takes special care for anyone who is not a professional body man to do any job of this sort and get it right. I haven't done hood pins on a modern Challenger, but back in the day I did hood pins, louvers, and Shaker hoods on cars for my friends. I have to admit it was easier drilling and cutting on their cars than it would have been on my Charger.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Good job dude. Looks good!

·
Registered
89 Posts
No, if you get the Shaker, it removes the hood pin option. Now I know why.
Thanks for the kind words. I am actually exhausted today from the process.
Relaxing with a Bloody Mary my lovely wife just made me! ;)
If you get the non-wb the hood pins are a factory option with a shaker.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you get the non-wb the hood pins are a factory option with a shaker.
Wow, I wasn't aware of that.
Wonder why they take them off the table on the WB? I mean the hoods are the same right?
Has to be a reason. Hmmm...:unsure:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow, I wasn't aware of that.
Wonder why they take them off the table on the WB? I mean the hoods are the same right?
Has to be a reason. Hmmm...:unsure:
The hoods should be the same so weird it allows for one and not the other. It's a $425 option but my nerves told me to spend the money....

1 - 20 of 69 Posts