Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never understood the addition of hood pins, figure it was purely cosmetic, and not for my tastes. But on the way to work today, went through a construction zone, little bumpy road, and thought my hood was vibrating more than normal (only had the car all of 9 days). Then realized my hood was no longer shut and popped open about an inch. Latch still engaged, so couldn't open more. Almost like the cable was pulled to pop the hood, but I think I'd have remembered reaching under there while driving and pulling the cable. Pulled over, and then firmly shut it. Glad I wasn't on the highway when that happened.

Thats a first for me on any car having the hood pop itself open. I'm assuming this was just a freak thing and I'll have to closely monitor and check the hood now and then.

Outside of that, I'm loving this car!!!

·
Banned
675 Posts
maybe it's possible that you popped the hood on accident when trying to release the E-brake? I did that a few times when I first got my car on accident

·
Premium Member
7,317 Posts
It was likely not completely closed the last time the hood was opened.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
My 11 has done it as well...

·
Registered
813 Posts
BTDT. I use my parking brake every time I park the Challenger. Once I mistakenly caught the hood release with the top of my foot and didn't realize it... until someone ran out of their pickup truck into the middle of the street to let me know.

What I don't get about the hood pins, why would anyone want the metal wire hanging on their front end paint? How does it not wear through or scratch up the paint on the nose?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I noticed the hood was popped on the SE I rented, never occurred to me that I might have hit the hood release when I set the parking brake, but I'll have to watch it on the R/T.

I'm not a huge fan of hood pins, I think they interfere with the generally minimalist look of the car, it's like someone put nipple piercings on the thing.

·
Banned
675 Posts
BTDT. I use my parking brake every time I park the Challenger. Once I mistakenly caught the hood release with the top of my foot and didn't realize it... until someone ran out of their pickup truck into the middle of the street to let me know.

What I don't get about the hood pins, why would anyone want the metal wire hanging on their front end paint? How does it not wear through or scratch up the paint on the nose?

The wires are coated in plastic to prevent scratching

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Sean

I have hoodpins and in my case, the metal wire is covered by plastic coating. I've added an additional measure of protection by putting a piece of plastic film (the cell phone covers) in the area of the nose that the plastic coated cable touches.

I added hoodpins to my aftermarket hood, primarily for looks. If I still had my stocker, I probably would NOT have added them.

Mike

·
Registered
834 Posts
it's like someone put nipple piercings on the thing.

That's what my wife says, that my car now has nipple rings.

I love the look but realize they're not for everyone. I'm going to
put some of the clear bra on the nose to prevent any paint damage.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts

It will even with plastic coatings; that's just the physics. Everything has a coefficient of abrasion.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I have went to open the hood while parked in my driveway(thru the open window) and pulled the E-brake by mistake,(driveway slight incline). Scared the crap out of me when the car started rollin'. I won't do that again. Live and Learn. :smokin:MOPARS RULE!!!:smokin:Wolffy

·
Super Moderator
14,678 Posts
Rubbing (caused by wind and vibration) of the plastic coated hood pin lanyards on my 71 'Cuda eventually caused the paint to wear away at the front edge of the hood. Maybe 3M tape would help, but I am not going to chance in on my SRT.

Hood pins on the muscle cars from the late 60s and early 70s were mostly cosmetic. Hood pins, however, served a purpose on race cars where four were used to allow the entire hood to be easily removed for engine work.

Production cars have a main latch and a safety latch. Hood pins are not needed to prevent a hood from flying open.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, didn't cross my mind I could have hit the hood latch when undoing the E-brake. I'll have to check that, but I know for the first 15 miles of my drive the hood was shut (or at least didn't appear to vibrate). Then again, it was before I had my morning coffee, so maybe I wasn't fully awake on the drive in.
I'll just keep an eye on it and check it now and then.

On a separate note, 9 days, just under 400 miles, and so far flawless otherwise. Really a nice car to just cruise around in, or in my case, drive to work in. Gets tons of looks. I've had a number of new cars, and my 07 Vette got tons of looks, but I've never gotten the attention this car gets in just the last week. I've never seen people actually stick their head out their window to check out my car until now. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Hood pins are a good safety feature on an aftermarket fiberglas hoods, they can stop the hood from coming threw the windshield in a serious frontend collision. As matter of fact, I think any aftermarket hood manufacture would actually recommend using hood pins on Fiberglas hoods.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had my hood fly open and shatter my windshield on the highway doing 100 mph. This was 25 years ago in my POS Trans Am (1980 turbo). My chances of death was probably 1:4.
I could have used hood pins there but I would not worry about any new cars.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've popped the hood while releasing the e-brake with my foot twice, and my wife's done it once. Once i was aware of what I did, I simply keep my foot to the left when releasing it. Hasn't happened since.

I can admit to 'accidentally' popping the hood while thinking I was releasing the brake when i first got the car (the hand-release on my truck is about where the hood release on the challenger sits, so 7 years of driving my truck made it 'automatic') :freak5:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts