Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debating if I should have hood pins installed or not and if so - what color, chrome or black? Car is a 2015 R/T in Pitch Black - I'm thinking chrome since it would add one more chrome accent along with the fuel door and I'm a sucker for chrome.

Talk me into doing it or out of it and if so, what color! I'm about an hour from Steve White so I've emailed Luke about pricing installed - I'd never have the nerve to do it myself.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did factory hood pins on my 17 T/A. It was a fairly easy install. Heck the hardest part for me was getting the hole marked/drilled properly on the radiator cover for the pin, vs drilling the hood. Definitely gives it an old school look and vibe. The only downfalls I can think of is once you get going 70+, sometimes my cables start to flutter in the wind.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
There is potential there. But it hasn't done it much or casued any marks on mine yet. You can always leave the cables off, or do some clear vinyl in the areas of concern.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
I have an aftermarket hood so I added pins just for peace of mind. I liked the look of the pins and cables but I went to Ace Hardware and swapped them out for a set of Torsion Clips so I didn't have to worry about the cables.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the cables doing any damage. I have factory hood pins on my T/A 392 and the cables do bounce around on the highway. They have done zero damage.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
The cables are there to keep people from stealing your pins, otherwise they wouldn't be needed haha. And if you buy the new factory set up, they come with Torsion clips.
Mostly so you don't lose them when you open your hood... Theft would be bad though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Color?

Really appreciate all the comments and input!

Any further thoughts on the color with the pitch black paint?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Really appreciate all the comments and input!

Any further thoughts on the color with the pitch black paint?
I'd go with the black and polished look of the Speedlogix car vs the all chrome on the blue car (see attachments).

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would get them. They look really good on these cars. Purely ornamental but still a good look for the car. I had them installed from the factory on my '18 T/A and think they're awesome. It's a little bit of an inconvenience to remember to undo them before popping the regular hood latch but that's not a really big deal. I agree with a previous post that you should match the color of the gas door. Chrome with chrome, black with black. I'm not at all concerned about damage to paint from the cables rubbing. The cables are covered in vinyl and the only scratching that may ever happen would come out with simple hand wax. Funny story about the pins on my T/A. When you order them on a car from the factory, they come with the holes/posts/grommets/backers all installed but they don't install the actual cables and pins. They are in a bag inside the glove box. My car was only the 2nd T/A my dealer has ever sold and the other one didn't have hood pins. Sure enough even after I mentioned that the hood pins need to be installed, when I went to get the car the pins were still in the glove box. Took the dealer an hour to figure out how to put them on. Get them, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Getting them installed Wednesday!

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the cables doing any damage. I have factory hood pins on my T/A 392 and the cables do bounce around on the highway. They have done zero damage.
The paint damage caused by abrasion takes years to develop. You won't see anything after a few years. I kept my 'Cuda for 9 years, and the vinyl cables eventually wore away the paint, in two small spots, where they came in contact with the edge of the hood. If anyone plans to keep their Challenger long-term, I would recommend protecting the paint. It's better to be safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts