Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Mopar hood pins (thanks Steve White Motors). Look awesome but how high should I have the pins?(pressure on the escutcheons or a little higher)

·
Registered
694 Posts
got some on my '09 & there is slight pressure, i think about right. my christmas present was some for my '17. will be going on next week on my '17 jf. will post pic when done, not by me letting a body man buddy of my do the honors of cutting the hood!!! of course already has a big hole in the hood with the shaker so what's 2 more.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Curious, what hood do you y'all have? I know Mval have a shaker hood. It seems like it's rare to see any hood pins on the R/T hoods which is very common on the SRT hoods.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
It's just me but I would only put hood pins on hoods (non metal) that require them. They look good and all but just a pain if you get under your hood a lot. maybe a fiberglass lift off hood would be cool, but that would be a real pain.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mine are on the R/T hood. Love the retro look of them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Thanks for sharing the R/T hoods pictures! I am considering one for myself too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just got my pins in today. I was gonna have a body shop do the install for me, but everyone's quoting $150-$300, which is straight bananas. I'm installing on a T/A hood so I'm a bit nervous drilling into the satin finish. Any input on prep? I feel like I don't want to wipe any of that down with alcohol like the instructions recommend.

Also, how many people actually use the touch-up paint for corrosion prevention?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wouldn’t hesitate (and didn’t) to pay $150 for the install. Literally one shot to get it right. Was cheap insurance for me vs $$1K+ for a new paint matched hood.

Hoods are aluminum. No need to touch up the holes.

I just got my pins in today. I was gonna have a body shop do the install for me, but everyone's quoting $150-$300, which is straight bananas. I'm installing on a T/A hood so I'm a bit nervous drilling into the satin finish. Any input on prep? I feel like I don't want to wipe any of that down with alcohol like the instructions recommend.

Also, how many people actually use the touch-up paint for corrosion prevention?

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't freak-out about wiping down with alcohol it is one of the recommended cleaners for the satin finish. When I get weird streaks or something going on my T/A I use a 50/50 alcohol and distilled water spray to make sure there is no contaminants on the finish. Just watch the Steve White Motors video and get a fresh 1 1/4 holesaw also I don't think they mention to use a multi-speed drill which most people have nowdays. I think full speed with a holesaw could be too violent. Also, I messed up on one of my plastic pieces but the replacement was less than 20 bucks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Question: Why are the cables necessary? Just to help keep track of the hood pins? Are the cables just aesthetics? It seems like deleting them would solve the rubbing the paint problem.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Question: Why are the cables necessary? Just to help keep track of the hood pins? Are the cables just aesthetics? It seems like deleting them would solve the rubbing the paint problem.
That's exactly right - plus it's carryover from the original design. I like the look of the pins with the cables.

If you push the cables in the grille after closing the pins, they stay put and don't move around - all but eliminating the rubbing issue.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Well, the idea was so people wouldn't just pull them off your car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts