Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hood pins are used as a secondary restraint for the hood and are attached by a pin and plate drilled through the hood. They were originally made for the racetrack to keep hoods buttoned down at high speeds, but found their way onto muscle cars of the late 60s/early 70s.

Hood pins (two per hood) were most prevalent on Dodge and Plymouth muscle cars of that era (e.g., Challengers, ‘Cudas, Road Runners, Daytonas, GTXs, Super Bees, etc.). They were, primarily, a styling element used to give a more aggressive look, since today’s cars already have a safety hood latch. One car, the 1969 Dodge Super Bee 440 Six-Pack, had four hood pins. This, however, was necessary because it had a lift-off fiberglass hood with no hood hinges.

Now, owners of modern day muscle cars are installing hood pins to give their cars a retro look. Hood pins come in various designs. Some have push pins, some have ring pins and others have locking pins for theft protection. The metal mounting plates can come in different colors/finishes (usually silver or black). In addition, as an accessory to hood pins, lanyards can be added. These add a nice styling touch and prevent the loss of the pins.

Recently, some manufacturers have been making “stick-on” hood pins. These are purely cosmetic and provide “the look” without the need for drilling.

The following are some photos illustrating the types of hood pins, their use on late 60s/early 70s Mopar, Ford, GM and AMC muscle cars and their current use on modern-day Challengers.

Ring-style Pin

Push-Pin

Locking Pin

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
472 Posts
How bad would non drilled in stick ons look?

·
Vendor
13,404 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,027 Posts
I installed the locking type on my 64 Belvedere back in the day. A couple memories stick with me. I needed to open the hood but the key was many miles away another time I needed to open the hood but freezing rain had other ideas. If I really liked the look (I don't) I would go for the stick on type:)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I was on the fence as I didn't think it was worth the $425 option but boy was I wrong. I'm glad I decided it would be the prefect finishing touch with the black hood. I'm sure it will be on my next car too. As always Steve White gives a great deal but even though the vid makes it look easy I would never try it, always a dealer option for me. To those thinking about optioning it or getting it after the fact its a 100% yes for me (love the Mopar on the ring too
Tire Wheel Automotive design Vehicle Window
).

·
Registered
2011 SXT
2,951 Posts

·
Vendor
13,404 Posts
Very nice.... Is that a fiberglass hood? IIRC that is a standard SRT hood (you modded it) as it is about the same weight as the Speedlogix hood you used to run.

BTW I am curious as to what Big Red does in the 1/4 mile, if you have taken it to the drag strip.
OEM SRT hood modified with Home page, we struggled with two issues, one was heat and two was lift at high speed, the heat extractors/louvers, greatly assisted with both

never been to a drag strip:(

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,707 Posts
How bad would non drilled in stick ons look?
Get the real ones or don't get any. Some guy in a car club that I left after about 1 month did stupid crap like that. All the fake mods he said he did because he could not afford real ones, he could have saved his money on and done 1 or 2 pretty cool things. We're talking painting coil packs red (well trying to) because he wanted them to look like MSD but did not want to spend the money.... SMH.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
598 Posts
I want to get the black Mopar Hood Pins on mine. Just need to find a good shop here in Florida that will do an amazing job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts