Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded in my stone white RT and Got me a beatiful srt8 GWE M6 Yesterday I found myself on a long open road no traffic for miles. I stopped held the squiggly button for a bit and let it rip with 200 miles on the odo. Drive it like your gonna drive it right? Anyways when I slammed into third the tires screeched and the hood popped open! I immidiately slowed for fear the hood would be hitting the windshield next. Anyone else have this happen? Does my hood maybe need to be adjusted? The stops? Take it to the dealer? It was completely closed, then slam to third and it popped up to the latch. Scary stuff.

·
Banned
811 Posts
Do you have a stick? Do you think you might have hit the hood release while operating the clutch pedal? That's scary man.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so. I was wearing some slip on shoes I'm sure I would have felt something hit the top of my foot if I would have hit the hood release. Seems as if it just released from the twist of the car frame. I'm pretty sure my car has so much torque its twists the chassis off the line lol :p I guess I will just have to watch it when I row through those gears. See if it happens again. I have hammered through the gears several times today and it has not happened again.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Your hood might not have been all the down, closed. I had this happen to me a few years back. After I had showed off the engine bay to some friends and had left for home. I just barley noticed the hood looked like it was at a different angle. Pulled over, and discovered that it was not fully closed. the hood was half latched, open like a half inch. Mine did not completely unlatch and fly up on me though!! that would be scary. this was the only time this had happened to me. wasp probably just a fluke

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it never totally came unlatched, I feared that was coming though. It just unlatched as if I had pulled the hood release, it was still holding on the safety latch you have to move to the side to completely release the hood. Still scared the hell out of me though, thinking I was already going to need a new hood lol.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ah good. That's just enough times I've heard of a hood popping open (this is the 2nd) to warrant purchase of those hood pins I've had my eye on!

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Don't have to worry about that problem with my Vette:bigthumb:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Happened to me twice already on my 2011 se. Don't know whats wrong.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have popped it on accident with my foot while releasing the emergency brake. Didn't really feel it either. It doesn't seem to take much effort to release it.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I've never had the hood pop open but if I did I would put a piece of scotch tape across the hood release so if it happened again I could tell if the release had been moved - like the James Bond trick on the hotel room door.:browsmiley:

Fortunately all cars made for many years have the second latch to catch the hood for just these type of unintended releases.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've had mine pop twice as well. Both times I was "playing" a bit. Hard launches appear to be enough to kick it lose. I adjusted my latch a bit and it has not happened since. I suspect they keep the tolerance a bit close to make it easy to open. Plenty of adjustment.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've had mine pop twice as well. Both times I was "playing" a bit. Hard launches appear to be enough to kick it lose. I adjusted my latch a bit and it has not happened since. I suspect they keep the tolerance a bit close to make it easy to open. Plenty of adjustment.
Could you please describe how to adjust the latch?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Not on my Challenger but on my old Mustang, I had a station attendant that was Gung Ho and when we used to have "Full Service" I popped the hood because they checked the oil in those days. He undid the safety latch and told me that it took excessive force to unlatch it. As I was heading to the restroom he asked if he could adjust it for me. I said NO! dON'T TOUCH IT. He did it anyway while I was in the restroom. 2 miles down the road the hood hit my windshield and i knew he "adjusted" it! I turned around and drove back after cleaning my shorts and yelled and screamed at the guy and his boss. the vehemently denied doing anything. screwed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts