Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of us use hood struts and some of you have removed the prop that's under the hood. When you remove the rivet holding the prop on is it painted underneath? I want to take mine out but can't paint the area and make it match. I suck at body work.
Thanks
Rick

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rivet is paited and matches the rest of the area and if I drill it out and put it back it will be silver and look worse than the rod being there does.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I took mine off.. It is painted, but where the rivet was, there was unpainted metal (small circle). I don't know if it was caused by the rivet turning , which it did a bit, or what. Just a little touchup paint on that spot should work.

I had a "Bad Ass" sticker that a friend gave me.. I just covered it up with that.

Mike

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
Just get a bottle of the touch up paint for your paint code., I just painted over 2 scratches in my door jam with the bottle of touch up paint that I bought at the Zone.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you ever try to match dark blue? I just hate to start this and end up making it look worse than just leaveing it there.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
3/8" drillbit takes it off, it IS painted before so no paint needed. I take a friends cordless drill to shows and remove for friends also. Holeplugs like the one in the picture are available at auto parts but don't use on mine as it's not TOO big a hole left, the clip leaves a bigger hole when it's removed. Mark:guiness:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ive decided to leave my car bone stock. the prop rod is a factory mistake, but it is factory none the less. No biggie to me...

·
Registered
988 Posts
Most autoparts store have then in the help section. I used a left over one from a hood insulation repalcement kit I put on my 83 Monte Carlo SS.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive decided to leave my car bone stock. the prop rod is a factory mistake, but it is factory none the less. No biggie to me...
The reason mine needed to have hood struts is because having the rod reminds me of Pinto and Jap crap cars. A Challenger isn't in that class of cars.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Naaah... it is just another way to save a few $$$. The hood struts are a $40 retail item.

·
Banned
557 Posts
I can't find a link to send you to, but awhile back I saw people getting custom stainless "ID tags" of some sort and putting in that area. Usually had the year, VIN, etc.

Me personally, I'd probably do some touch up paint on the small knob side and pull the retainer clip on the right and put that ID plate there. I've only used touchup paint a few times, but in small areas that aren't super visible (this spot qualifies, lol) then I think you will be okay with the results.

If you have a hard time finding your color of touchup paint, check with your local O'Reilly's as they can custom mix colors for you. I went there when I owned my 2004 yellow Jeep Wrangler and they have a little machine they take out to your car and scan to get a precise match. In my case, it was really handy since the vehicle was a few years old and I was a little concerned with fade, plus the yellow was nearly impossible to find anyways.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hotrod

I know most of us use hood struts and some of you have removed the prop that's under the hood. When you remove the rivet holding the prop on is it painted underneath? I want to take mine out but can't paint the area and make it match. I suck at body work.
Thanks
Rick
Keep the rod in place for when your struts start sagging (many years from now) and you're alone at night, in the pouring rain trying to see what the heck is going on under the hood.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Keep the rod in place for when your struts start sagging (many years from now) and you're alone at night, in the pouring rain trying to see what the heck is going on under the hood.
without a light under there you wont see a damn thing anyway ! lol

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
i just grinded the rivet off and its also handy to have a touch up pen just incase you nick it during removal

1 - 20 of 26 Posts