Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really sure if that's what they're referred to as but it's what I've always known them as. My question is if they actually do anything. I've got just a normal 16 RT and was in my engine the other day when I noticed the holes in the material attached to the inside of my hood. They're right below the vents on the hood so I figured they actually went through to allow more air in the engine bay, but when I put a flashlight up to it there's no light that goes through the vents that can be seen. Do they actually serve a purpose or are they just for looks on the RT?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
On the SRT the hood scoops are functional. For your RT you can buy replacements that will make your vents functional. Also if you want a truly functional ram air hood you can buy a cervini kit that will do that for you after you replace your vents

·
Super Moderator
13,334 Posts
You should be aware that the SRT "functional" hood scoops only help to ventilate the engine bay and reduce temperatures by about 20-30 degrees.

Here are the part numbers: Right Hand- P/N 55399338AB and Left Hand- 55399339AB.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know all they do is cool it down a little bit, I just figured they would have just installed them with the car but apparently not. So with those installed does water getting in through them create any problems inside the engine bay, or nothing more than without?

·
Super Moderator
13,334 Posts
I know all they do is cool it down a little bit, I just figured they would have just installed them with the car but apparently not. So with those installed does water getting in through them create any problems inside the engine bay, or nothing more than without? Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The way the scoops are designed, there are absolutely no water problems.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
All 2015 and newer models have open and functional hood scoops on the "Raisin Bran" (two scoops...) hoods. Previously, only the SRT and R/T Classic models had them.

Even the V6 cars have 'em now:The Challenger SXT and SXT Plus have a 305-horsepower, 3.6-liter V-6 engine, now featuring cold-air induction hood scoops

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm I'll have to go double-check mine then. Because I swear when I Shone a flashlight through it there wasn't any light coming through. But maybe that's because the mat on the inside of the hood doesn't line up with the holes for the hood scoops. The hole in the mat is offset about four inches from where the opening for the hood scoops would be

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
the bezels in the top of the hood have an offset opening (bezel isn't all open) and the opening on the underside is offset a bit.

If you shine a light from underside of hood and look into the bezel from the front, you'll see the opening for the '15+ hoods.

The earlier years '08 - '14 had block off bezels on SE, SXT and R/T models, except for R/T Classic and SRT models. You could buy the scoops with the ducts to make the hood vents functional. [they vent air into engine bay, not engine]

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone know how to remove the bezels on the new 2015+ hoods?
Get a plastic trim removal tool, or a flat head screwdriver if you're careful, and just pry around them starting at the bottom. Put a towel or something down though so you don't scratch the paint.
There's three clips I believe on the top and bottom of the vents, they just snap off once you pry them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,551 Posts

A Guy

·
Vendor
11,600 Posts
On the SRT the hood scoops are functional. For your RT you can buy replacements that will make your vents functional. Also if you want a truly functional ram air hood you can buy a cervini kit that will do that for you after you replace your vents
all 15 and up are open, only the 14 and older are not and can be replaced with the open SRT version
Luke

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Had them on my '13 R/T Classic. They're just dust and water collectors. Mostly dirt but in heavy rain, you'll find water inside as well. If you live where there are any dusty roads, your engine compartment will be dirty. I plugged mine up. Between that and the belly pan, it kept my engine bay much cleaner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've reading the posts and watched ur video on replacing the hood vents with the two pc units.I finding these vents for 2009-2014 and vendors are saying they won't fit 2015. Do you know if they will work on a 2015 ?

Thanks
Kenny

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Back when I first bought my challenger, I bought those vents (pre-2015) thinking they would work on my 2015...they do not fit. Actually the mopar parts site I bought them from listed them for my 2015 even when I had the correct year and trim level entered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Back when I first bought my challenger, I bought those vents (pre-2015) thinking they would work on my 2015...they do not fit. Actually the mopar parts site I bought them from listed them for my 2015 even when I had the correct year and trim level entered.
Not really sure if that's what they're referred to as but it's what I've always known them as. My question is if they actually do anything. I've got just a normal 16 RT and was in my engine the other day when I noticed the holes in the material attached to the inside of my hood. They're right below the vents on the hood so I figured they actually went through to allow more air in the engine bay, but when I put a flashlight up to it there's no light that goes through the vents that can be seen. Do they actually serve a purpose or are they just for looks on the RT?

Hey man , I'm reading a post of yours from 2017 and you were wanting to change the stock hood vents on your 2016 RT. I wanted to do same thing to my 2015 but vents with the underneath hood ducts was only listed up to the 2014's. They claim those won't work on 2015 and newer.The stock vents on newer ones are suppose to be open but seems like without the ducts not much air gets pushed around. Just my 2 cents worth...lol What did you do with yours ?

·
Super Moderator
12,551 Posts
I've reading the posts and watched ur video on replacing the hood vents with the two pc units.I finding these vents for 2009-2014 and vendors are saying they won't fit 2015. Do you know if they will work on a 2015 ?

Thanks
Kenny
Hello Kenny, no they are different. But as mentioned above, our scoops are already open/functional (2015+)

A Guy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
ChallyTatum
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing