Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T M6
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if anyone smarter than I or with more fabricaiton background has a solution to this.

My car didnt have the hood struts that hold it up, so I bought some. I have 2 problems and I am sure my "FIX" is what is causing the 2nd problem.

1. As seen in photo, the hole where my strut ball is supposed to screw into is much larger than what it is supposed to be, therefore leaving me with nothing to screw into.
a. Possible solution I can think of is drilling a new hole as close to this one as I can but closer to the cabin (the strut seems to have enough wiggle room). Ideas?
2. In that holes place was a plastic grommet of sorts, so in an effort to get things to work, I attempted to screw into that grommet. This worked ok, but was slightly loose and slightly raised due to the grommet acting as a washer basically. This then caused my hood to not properly align with the fender when I closed it. It was elevated. As soon as I removed that strut, the hood closes fine and is aligned.

How would you fix this or did I just waste $40 for the struts and continue to use the hood stand?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,699 Posts
that is weird, that hole is not threaded. Is it possible to get a flat washer and a nut on the underside of the fender? I would not want to drill a hole in my car. Does the stud come off of the head of the bolt? Might need a slightly longer bolt for my idea.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T M6
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its funny you say that! I just asked a coworker and he said the same thing. Try to get a washer and nut on the back side. I think that is a great idea and would likely work. I dont think the stud comes off but I will check later. It is pretty thin material there so it might be long enough as is. It almost looks like there used to be one there that got pulled out or something. Not sure why its like that, but the other side was normal, this side is messed up.

From my readings it is an M8x1.25 tpi. Anyone able to confirm that? I need to stop by the hardware store today and grab a lock nut and washer for this sucker and of course I dont have the stud with me.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T M6
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for their input! The fix was way easier than I made it out to be. I simply used a fender washer, split washer and washer nut under the fender and cranked it down. seems like it is holding and working great.

Reactions: vpzyck
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.