Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hood strut installation.

7K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  IKneadU 
#1 ·
I'm not convinced I installed them correctly. I put the one that said "Left" on the driver's side (facing the car), and the "Right" on the passenger side.

#4 ·
I don't remember, but does the part that attaches to the hood move? I ask because I have red on driver's side and green on passenger side.
That's why I said fat side because it's kinda confusing what's what. What I call fat part is the cylinder and I have on the hood and the piston side I have going to the fender. That's what the instructions I got said but if I remember right the part # from MOPAR showed left and right backwards.

#7 ·
The "sides" of vehicles are done as if viewing the car from behind. The left is the driver side, the right side is the passenger side.
The picture shows the correct orientation of the hood struts from my interpretation anyhow. They have been on there for a while and work perfectly anyway.

#8 ·
That's how mine looks too. I also know normal car talk left is drivers side but for some reason I was thinking when I installed these it seemed like they were labled in the part cat. wrong but like I said if they are holding the same weight and the hood is on the fat side it shouldn't matter.

#10 ·
I wonder if some of the shocks were reverse-labeled. Mine are installed as shown in the pics (the only way they would go on correctly, if memory serves) and are holding just fine. :)

#12 ·
I've opened and closed the hood a few times and it seems to working just fine. Just went out and took a few pics. I'll try and post up later.

#13 ·
Yep, if you've got the 'fat cylinder' part towards the hood, they will only go on one way. You must have nailed it. (This was my first mod and it actually worked pretty easy for me and I'm no where near a mechanic)

#22 ·
I was happy with the "prop rod" actually. Reminded me of an old Ford Pinto!

All this talk about the struts got me going, and I picked up the strut kit today at the dealership for $53.00. I'll get them on this weekend.

While I was there, I asked them to shoot me a good price on a strut tower brace???? I told them that I would rather buy from them than go home and "point and click"

$309.00..........I thought that was a pretty good price on the MOPAR brace, so it'll be in tomorrow and I'll pick it up.

Damn mods, I thought it was over.

#24 ·
OK, First post here, so please be kind!
I bought a mail order hood strut set for my 2009 R/T, but it came with no instructions. Does anyone have installation instructions or know if they are online anywhere?
:SM030:
Thanks!
speedysgarage.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.