Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey guys, so apparently this guy has good connections and imports sports cars from Dubai/UAE into the UK pretty regularly. We've been in touch and on a call where he explained the process and basically I just need to keep a look around for good opportunities. For example on this site (already filtered with my parameters) Used Dodge Challenger Cars in UAE - Verified Second Hand Cars

Basically for a challenger (3.6 V6 between 2010/2014 with 80k miles or less) that in Dubai costs £6,000, I would get it registered with 6 months tax and MOT for around 13/14k.

• Do you have any advice for dealing with this kind of seller (he uses the site shipmycar.co.uk and looking at their estimates, he would get a 2/3k commission)?
Example shipmycar estimate:

• A more challenger related question, would you rather get an older car (2009/2011) with fewer miles (50k) or a newer one (2013/2014) with a bit more miles (80k)? Any particular construction year that had problems and I should steer clear of? Not including 2015+ because at that price point it's impossible to find them.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
194 Posts
Good to hear you didnt take the first deal that would have asking for trouble.

I have not imported or exported a car before so I don't have any experience with this type of transaction, I will say that 2k or 3k commission seems very excessive, I have watched a few episodes of Wheeler Dealer in my life and I believe Mike had imported cars into the UK from India and the USA and I don't recall him paying half that much. There are websites out there that auction cars world wide and provide shipping service you might want to check them out.

As for your last question on old low miles versus new high miles, this is a question I wrestle with time and time again. If you buy old with low miles, the car will hopefully last longer as you have more miles to drive on it, however as the car is a older vintage you don't yet have all the kinks and problems sorted out from the factory (early production models) and can lead to more trouble than its worth. Then there is also the standard options, what is standard on a new model car is optional on the early model cars so you tend to get more options as standard on later model cars. I think overall if the car has the options you want and price is right you should do what feels right for you, regardless of the year or mileage. After all you will be the one driving the car for the next few years and if you are not happy with it then its all for nothing.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts