Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my fiance has the sxt charger.. nothing special. But side by side with my challenger we noticed her charger is ALOT slower than the challenger (which is also the 3.6 sxt)
We went online and found her car at 295hp and the challenger at 305... I don't see that really being a HUGE difference.. so we swapped cars. I drove the charger and her the challenger.. of course the chally has sport mode.. but again the chally came out ahead.
Does anyone know the actual wheel horsepower of the cars? And maybe where to get a little more horsepower?
I know we prolly should have gotten the V8s, but in all reality our credit wasn't that great and we wanted these cars.. so here we are...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
It always amazed me that the Charger and Challenger with the 3.6 engine, had different HP ratings. I have no explanation for that. If it was the same HP rating, but the Charger was slower, we could call it body weight by having 2 more doors.

If you are looking to do anything to get a major boost in HP with the 3.6, it will be expensive.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts
I think 2 possibilities for a different HP rating. Intake positioning/ Exhaust, or like the Corvette always having the highest HP rating for Chebbies, Dodge wants the Challenger to have the higher rating. The 2018 Charger was rated at 292, that's 13 HP! Where is that lost, unless it's tuning, as the engine is the same I believe.

The difference in performance could certainly be explained by 13 HP difference, but does the Challenger also have the 3.07 rear end, and the Charger 2.62?

A Guy

Edit: the Charger SXT and Charger GT have different V6 HP ratings

The SXT 292-hp 3.6L V6 engine with 260 lb-ft of torque. The GT 300 hp and 264 lb-ft of torque.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's just weird to me . Both cars are SXT models. Both are 2018s. Both have the same tranny I'd imagine. And both have the 3.6 powerplant.. I do agree that the rear end may be responsible...but from a dead stand still I don't think that could explain that.. gotta be tuning or maybe even the "drive by wire" throttle system. Back in the day we used a cable. Nowadays it's all electronic. So maybe the charger is tuned for fuel eco and when sport mode on the Challenger is turned on, a different throttle response"tune" is activated?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts
Well from a dead stop, a higher numerical gear will indeed be an advantage

A Guy

Reactions: dylanedurr92

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
The 3.07 will be quicker in acceleration than a 2.62. the 3.07 will also have a lower top end speed and use more fuel on the open road.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I read somewhere that the power difference is related to the air intake system - they "refined" the air intake in the Challenger to squeeze a little more power out of the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts