Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else get a chance to read the May edition of Hod Rod magazine? Very interesting article on what HP levels these engine 5.7, 6.1 can take before components start to fail and the reasons for there failure. The differences between the two engines and between the auto and six speed cars.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yes - it was pretty cool. Its part of their 'whats going to break' series. I love the fact that they say the tremec 6 is so solid.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I saw, it was a nifty article. interesting to read about the weaknesses in the new mustangs as well.

on a side note , i freakin LOVE that Z28 project car they stuck the LS3 in. That interior has been my inspiration for my old trans am. that car is super nice. I want those hotchkis from subframe supports too, but they say they wont work with a pontiac motor due to clearances. I may end up fabricating something similar for mine.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I read the article, great to see AJ's Atco launch get published!

I am disappointed the picture of the Paramount 8.8" rearend is actually a stock Getrag unit. They were sent pictures of my Paramount.

Any LX/LC press we can get is good press, so I'll take it.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The Getrag is pretty stout for a stock piece. Good to know I could do some decent mods before addressing the rear end. Good to know, also, that the 6 speed is pretty durable if maintained properly. The motor (5.7) is the main weakness - no surprise there.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another question I have is why no windage tray in the 5.7, but have one in the 6.1? I was looking on the Arrington Performance page and notice that they do make one, made by Milodon, but it only works with their oil pan, oil pick up, dip stick, bolts gasket, and comes to about $620.00 (the windage tray itself is only $74.00 and you also need headers to clear their dip stick???). They are claiming a 25hp increase. So why hasnt anyone else made one for a stock 5.7, seems like it would be fairly simple to fabricate. Even if you only made an additional 10-15hp it would be worth the $70.00. If it was added to the 6.1 then it shouldnt be that hard to add it to the 5.7, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have trouble understanding how keeping oil in the pan where it belongs is going to add 25hp. I understand it makes the car more dependable seeing as it has oil to pump thru the motor, but oil by itself rarely adds extra hp to an engine. The old 440s had a windage tray and it was to keep the oil from sloshing around too much and causing the oil pickup to suck air pockets. Think its wishful thinking that it will add power, either the motor is making the power or it isn't, maintaining a good flow of oil shouldn't add hp, it should make the hp you have more dependable and less likely to break.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I always thought the windage tray was to reduce oil from getting wrapped up on the crankshaft at high speeds. The loss that is prevented is viscous drag directly on the crankshaft.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Its a combination of both factors, at high rpm's the sloshing oil can cause some drag on the crank, but also during high rpms the cranks motion also causes some of the sloshing to occur which can cause oil starvation on some oil pump pickups, usually you saw windage trays on race applications or on deep sump oil pans. When i first took mine out and found out what it actually was i had to research to find out if i should put it back in or not, and decided it was a good idea to keep it in there. I just wouldn't think that there'd be that much drag on the crank from splashing oil unless oil was at a high level where it could actually surround parts of the crank...which to me would indicate its overfilled. I was always under the impression it was there to protect the motor and not necessarily for added power.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts