Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there are several threads on hood pins.. what i am searching for is anyone that has used the hotchkis hood pins and how and where did you mount them in the car.

thanks
chris

p.s. pic's would be great if possible

i found a write up by chris NCT but his pics don't show

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
I have been removing extra pics and moving pics around in my albums. I'll see if I can find them and post.

Here's some highlights to what I did......

• I fabricated my own brackets similiar to the ones Pettys Garage sells.
  • I rivited threaded fasteners into the holes. This was the hardest part. Finding a place where all 4 rivits could expand between the 2 hood layers.
  • I used rubber grommits on the bigger holes in the underside of the hood for cosmetics.
  • Drilled a hole in each of the 2 plastic radiator covers where needed.
I love it. all I want to do now is attach a heavy duty soleniod to pull the hood latch with a button on my remote. This way I don't have to go into the car to unlatch the hood.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man

i did see you made a bracket.. any chance you would want to make another for some coin? or suggestions on one i could buy?

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
Brackets were made first. Once the bracket was made I welded the threaded stud on the plates. I painted the plates with good heavy coats of black paint. I then installed the plates with the hood pin post.

I put some lipstick on the top of the post. Lowered the hood down on the pin very lightly to create a point where the hole needs to go but jut a bit behind the hole. Once that hole is drilled you will need to put a hole in the underside of the top of the hood through the hole you just drilled. So a bigger bottom hole is pretty much necessary. Because of this I installed rubber grommets for cosmetics.

Threaded Rivit Nuts and Stainless screws

Rough Bracket Fitting before Paint.

Painted Plate

Rubber Grommets

Holes drilled in the underside of the hood where the grommets were installed.

Rubber grommets installed.

Hole drilled in plastic radiator covers for hood pin post.

Rivit Nuts installed. Very difficult to do because they have to crush between the hood upper and lower sheets.

Plate and Pin installed.

Finished Installation.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pm sent

thanks for the pics

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I used the those same pins on my old 13 RT with Petty brackets. When tightening the screws to the billet plate, it was warping my hood. If I decide to put pins in my new car, I will just stick to the Mopar pins.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was the pins 1/2 - 13 or 1/2 - 20 thread?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
u want to sell your old ones?

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
I used the those same pins on my old 13 RT with Petty brackets. When tightening the screws to the billet plate, it was warping my hood. If I decide to put pins in my new car, I will just stick to the Mopar pins.
Thats the only thing I didnt like during my install. I can see a little deformation around the areas of the 4 screw holes. I even counterbored the backside of my plates in my bridgeport milling machine for the rivet nuts to sit in.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
was the pins 1/2 - 13 or 1/2 - 20 thread?
Youll want 1/2 x 20. The 13 thread pitch is hard to find parts for. I used the Petty Racing pin bracket. It was only 100 bucks or so. My old pins went with the car when I traded for the purple one.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Thats the only thing I didnt like during my install. I can see a little deformation around the areas of the 4 screw holes. I even counterbored the backside of my plates in my bridgeport milling machine for the rivet nuts to sit in.
Mine were a pain. The screws were too long so I got some shorter stainless screws, then I lost a nut that rolled all the way down and stayed in their. Sometimes when I opened the hood I could hear it roll across the hood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts