Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a 2015 black RT/Plus. Have ordered a shaker kit + hood (ready for paint).

Have asked a dealer for a quote on spraying hood and installing the kit. The job list they sent back is:

1. Remove existing bonnet
  2. Prepare & paint new bonnet
  3. Remove & refit nose cone & blend to match
  4. Prepare O/S/F wing & blend to match
  5. Prepare N/S/F wing & blend to match
  6. Fit Shaker Induction Kit
My questions are:

• Is the blending a necessary step? (I don't know anything about painting car parts)
  • How many hours work involved in the painting would you guess?
  • How many hours work involved in removing old bonnet + installing new bonnet + shaker?
Thanks for any estimates, just want to make sure their quote is reasonable. Am being quoted £900 for labour and £385 for paint + materials which seems a little dear.

·
Registered
678 Posts
No two lots of paint are identical in color. If you don't let them blend, it's likely you will be able to see some color difference between the panels.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I would flat black the hood..... Just an idea, it could save you some $$$$

I had my hood removed, scuffed, painted, top and bottom of hood, top of the header panel scuffed and painted, the rear tail panel between the taillights scuffed and painted and the rear spoiler scuffed and painted, all in flat black (Matte Black) for $1200.00. Prices will vary based upon your location.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why is this necessary ?

3. Remove & refit nose cone

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
Why is this necessary ?

3. Remove & refit nose cone
It sounds like the shop is basically re-spraying the entire front end, facia, fenders and hood.

Which IMO, is excessive. Most shops know they may have to adjust the tint of the paint to match the car.

With the OPs message, if the color is off, now the front will look different from doors and rest of body.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I get the blending.

But why is it necessary to remove the front fascia ?

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
I get the blending.

But why is it necessary to remove the front fascia ?
in order to properly paint the fascia - all the trim and grilles, foglight bezels, front air dam need to be removed to paint it.

The only way to do that it is remove the fascia, remove all those items, paint then re-assemble all the trim back to the part.

·
Registered
155 Posts
your car is black so I'm not sure why it would need to be blended.i could see blending if it was sublime or pcp but black is probably the easiest color to match .i would only paint the hood rather than having to tear apart the nose and risk a hundred other problems that go along with that process.as a 30+ yr painter i have never ever had to blend a solid black car to get a decent match especially on a new car.the price quoted doesn't seem unreasonable but seems unnecessary to achieve what you want.if you do accept the quote be sure to go over every nut and bolt and make sure it is done exactly as you wanted.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Interesting info from this thread.

So, Cervinis and BMC manufacture a shaker scoop and hood, and they offer it painted to match OEM colors or unpainted. I always thought if I were to get that, I'd order it from the manufacturer painted to save time, but sounds like you guys are suggesting to order it unpainted and have a body shop spray it and blend with the adjoining body parts (except if it's black) - ordering it already painted is not a good idea?

EDIT: not sure if BMC offers painted hoods, but I see AFR does.

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
Interesting info from this thread.

So, Cervinis and BMC manufacture a shaker scoop and hood, and they offer it painted to match OEM colors or unpainted. I always thought if I were to get that, I'd order it from the manufacturer painted to save time, but sounds like you guys are suggesting to order it unpainted and have a body shop spray it and blend with the adjoining body parts (except if it's black) - ordering it already painted is not a good idea?

EDIT: not sure if BMC offers painted hoods.
Since batches can vary from one lot to the next, probably a better idea to have the shop tint the paint to match.

Some post a while back had a Pitch Black car that had a different tint to the clear coat (more yellow) and while the finish looked good, the repainted panels had a different cast than the OEM paint did.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all advice ITT, it's an expensive mod especially here in the UK with import etc :)

Price they quoted I'm OK with, but was more than expecting. The shop has a great reputation so am highly confident it'll be an excellent job.

However, if I'm looking to save £££ and tell them not to bother blending - is blending a step that can be done at a later date if I'm not happy with the look? Or is it something that needs to be done at the same time?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Blending really needs to be done at the time not later. On the first repaint you're introducing a possible second tint, coming back later would introduce a possible third tint. If you come back later you are looking at a respray, or basically what the original quote was. So a big gamble if it doesn't match.

With the Pitch Black you wouldn't have to worry about flake or pearl matching, but the clear coat can still look much different.

Also, have you gotten a quote on doing it without the blending? Might not be saving as much as you think by not having them do it...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Blending is for color match. I agree, you can often get away without blending a straight black.

The removal of the front bumper cover is needed for two reasons.
1. Clear must be ran to a panel edge to avoid adhesion issues in the future. If the bumper cover is on, you can only run the clear to the bumper/fender joint, you can not run the clear over the edge. This creates a likely clearcoat failure area.

2. In a blend, the fender and bumper cover need to be de-trimmed for paint. You can't de-trim the bumper while it is on the car.

Not blending will likely save you a great deal of money.

Note: I'm a collision repair and refinishing professional.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts