Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you six speed owners have been to the track and how your launching your cars. I've heard axles are a weak link when it comes to drag racing these cars so I have just been rolling it out on a medium clutch around 1500 and powering it up. I would love to launch this thing like I used to launch my 'Cuda around 3 grand and dump the clutch. I just don't want to bust this car up. Any thoughts?​

·
Registered
112 Posts
I launch mine like this

YouTube - 2010 Dodge Challenger Twin Turbo Beast

or like this

YouTube - 2010 Dodge Challenger Twin Turbo Spitting Fire

Or like this

YouTube - 2010 Dodge Challenger Fire Breathing Twin Turbo

I have written a bunch of threads on how to lauch these 6speeds in great etail...you'll have to big a bit but all the information is out there. These launches are on a 2-step but I have written a bunch of stuff and have ran 11.73 without a 2step. If you race the car you will break parts it comes with the territory!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
40 Posts
First make sure Mr. Squiggly is off, then bring the revs up to 5500 and side step the clutch, this helps reduce the wheel hop as the tires just fry, hold it right on the board’s and let it bang off the rev limiter til it finally hooks up. If your rear axles are still in one piece, grab second and repeat the rev limiter thing. By this time you should be 1/3 the way down the track and probably sideways. Go ahead and grab 3rd anyways on the odd chance that Squiggles hasn’t killed you already. I’m not sure this is the best way to launch a six-speed, but it would be fun….if it wasn’t mine.
:wave::wave:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First make sure Mr. Squiggly is off, then bring the revs up to 5500 and side step the clutch, this helps reduce the wheel hop as the tires just fry, hold it right on the board’s and let it bang off the rev limiter til it finally hooks up. If your rear axles are still in one piece, grab second and repeat the rev limiter thing. By this time you should be 1/3 the way down the track and probably sideways. Go ahead and grab 3rd anyways on the odd chance that Squiggles hasn’t killed you already. I’m not sure this is the best way to launch a six-speed, but it would be fun….if it wasn’t mine.
:wave::wave:
You have no idea how bad I wished you lived in jersey. Thats too funny. I put Mr. Squiggley on disability the day he got hired. He complained too much about me pushing his button.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No traction control....4809 to 5000 Rpms. Depends on track conditions tires no lower than 20 psi and no higher than 24.... Start at 24psi and work your way down. Do not side step the clutch...but lift quickly.....a little slippage is ok but don't slp too much or youll fry it. Don't mat the throttle until you feel yourself getting pushed back in the seat...this will all happen in the first 5 feet....keep it matted once your out of the hole...don't lift and start rowing gears.

·
Registered
451 Posts
What works for me (stock axles and drag radials) is to stage shallow, hold RPM's at 2500 and then at the first amber SLOWLY let the clutch about halfway until you just barely feel it starting to grab (but not enough to roll forward) and hold it there until the third amber at which point I dump the clutch the rest of the way and floor it at the same time. Holding the clutch halfway takes all of the slack out of the driveline and prevents most of the sudden shock impact that breaks things.

Launching is tricky, find what works for you. Eventually I will get around to a 2 step (easier to hold RPM) and line lock for the brakes ( keep it from rolling) to prefect my launch technique.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I launch mine like this

YouTube - 2010 Dodge Challenger Twin Turbo Beast

or like this

YouTube - 2010 Dodge Challenger Twin Turbo Spitting Fire

Or like this

YouTube - 2010 Dodge Challenger Fire Breathing Twin Turbo

I have written a bunch of threads on how to lauch these 6speeds in great etail...you'll have to big a bit but all the information is out there. These launches are on a 2-step but I have written a bunch of stuff and have ran 11.73 without a 2step. If you race the car you will break parts it comes with the territory!:bigthumb:
Whats with the flames?

·
Registered
451 Posts
The flames are from his 2 step module which basically ties into the coil packs and cuts spark to maintain whatever set launch RPM you have programmed into it. The 2 step allows you to simply floor the throttle wide open but not hit the rev limiter, so when you release the clutch, your engine is already wide open, then the 2 step stops cutting spark, allowing full power almost instantly.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My best launch with 28x10x17 Hoosier slicks is at 4800 rpm, just enough wheel spin to keep the rpm up in the power band (and no broken axle) . I tried to launch at 3000,3500 and 4000 rpm but the car would bog, at 4800 it's like OH BABY HERE WE GO!!!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
My best launch with 28x10x17 Hoosier slicks is at 4800 rpm, just enough wheel spin to keep the rpm up in the power band (and no broken axle) . I tried to launch at 3000,3500 and 4000 rpm but the car would bog, at 4800 it's like OH BABY HERE WE GO!!!!
Stock axleshafts?

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's not entirely true Bayou...I was breaking stock axles with no mods and drag radials. but I do agree that generally speaking stock axles are breaking with mods. I have also launched my car at 4600 to 5k with the stock axles and not had breakage.

Ogisme, that's quite a rush, when you launch that high and the car hooks. Shoots you out like a rocket. Good stuff.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It sure does,and man it fills SOOOOO good!!! And yes it just has stock axles (for now).

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I tried several techniques yesterday with no real luck. Gonna take a lot of practice. Spent all day running 13's with 120 mph traps and 2.3 60's. That ain't gonna get it done!

·
Registered
112 Posts
You should be able to get that 60 foot down.....Before the turbos I could reliably pull off 1.9 60's and ran high 12's. IT's all seat time my man. It took me 50 passes just to get the 1.9 60 ft. The launch is the hardest to do in a manaul car....the fly by wire system doesnt't help you either. I would set the psi at 22#s in the tires and work on launches between 4200 and 4800 you should be able to lauch the car without spin....in a blower car spin is your enemy in a turbo car spin is your friend. Eitherway these cars will launch with stock axles and no spin....quit qorring about about breaking an axle and launch the car (lol). I added the last part becasue I have to tell myself that everytime I race.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts