Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

For night car shows I am starting the process of adding engine bay leds, grill leds, a knight rider bar, etc. to my car. My question is where and how is the best way to ground all of these add ons? I am adding a fused CirKit Boss to power it all but what about the ground? Is there a single best place to run them all to and if yes, what connector or connector are best. Pics of what you did would be awesome!

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Get a cirkit boss separate fuse block to completely isolate the add on electronics from the rest of the car.

You can get them from Summit and they are made by Painless Wiring.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speedy,

Actually that's exactly what I did after seeing it on your website!!! I ordered the larger 7 fuse waterproof style just for the extra "just in case" expansion room.

My question however is that I'll need to ground the engine bay lights, the grill lights, the LED scanner bar, the halos, etc. Is it best to just find a piece of the body or frame and ground each one individually using a c connector under a nut or using a self tapping screw (which I really don't want to do for fear of rusting the hole down the road. I know I'll use the Cirkut boss to power each one but what to do with the grounds is where I need insight...thoughts??

I guess what I was thinking is does someone make a grounding block where I can connect multiple wires or some other type of connector I can use to connect multiple grounds? Does that make sense?? I know enough to wire this stuff up but not enough to really do it the right way and I want it to be right.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Doesn't the Cirkit Boss have it's own ground lugs for each circuit? Seems like all you need to do is ground the circuit boss to the frame or engine, then ground each component to the ground lug for the respective circuit in the circuit boss.

I would use the same ground as the Total Integrated Power Module uses; the ground lug on the passenger side fender by the strut tower.

Also, make sure all the devices you are going to connect to the circuit boss don't exceed the amperage capability of the circuit boss itself. Finally, make sure you install a fuse between the circuit boss and your 12v power source.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what i could tell, the CirKut boss does not have it's own grounding lugs for each circuit but maybe I'll find that it does when it shows up later this week. I am aware of the grounding lug up by the strut tower but what's the right AND the best way to hook about 4 or 5 grounding wires to it is my question?

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
The cirkit boss provides power, you'll still need to ground the accessories.

I'd try to ground everything to the same spot. There's a lug on the driver's side head that is a great ground location, it's on the back and out of the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts