Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months and months of constant compare and contrast of various superchargers (it seems endless and the options are overwhelming), I'm thinking of just getting a big single Turbo to either a 5.7 or 6.4
Something like this:

Part of my train of thought is: I really like the idea behind the Buick Grand National- just add a turbo and your car becomes a game-changer, and still runs efficiently and gets decent MPG.

My question: is there anyone on this forum who just added a single big turbo to their car?

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
After months and months of constant compare and contrast of various superchargers (it seems endless and the options are overwhelming), I'm thinking of just getting a big single Turbo to either a 5.7 or 6.4
Something like this:

Part of my train of thought is: I really like the idea behind the Buick Grand National- just add a turbo and your car becomes a game-changer, and still runs efficiently and gets decent MPG.

My question: is there anyone on this forum who just added a single big turbo to their car?
I don't know anyone but what do you plan on doing with the car? And what car is it going in?

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
Just something that is street-able, can function as a daily driver, and sometimes take to the track.
A single turbo would definitely be different for the hemis, but I can't see it being that good of a street/ daily car in comparison to a blower or twin 62/57 turbos. Also I don't think it would be easy to plumb a single turbo on a Challenger. And I think a 91mm may be too big for a street car. But then again I'm not a turbo guy, and all of my turbo experience has been with twins on smaller motors.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
Something like this:

I’ve perused a lot of performance threads on this forum, the Charger forum, and the LXForums sites, and I rarely see any Turbo threads. That said, the LXForums site has a separate section devoted to Turbos. There are only 230 threads in it, but one seems like a good one for your interests:

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,452 Posts
Something like this:

Coming up with a suitable turbo is not a problem. It is the plumbing. The turbo needs to have both cylinder bank exhaust gases routed to it. The paths the exhaust takes needs to be the same. With the car you have where you are going to be able to mount a single turbo that provides an equal path from both banks and their exhaust? I've seen some cars with a turbo mounted ahead of and above the front of the engine. The car looks like a Frankenstein.

Also, a turbo charged engine needs an intercooler. Air cooled inter cooler is best. (This is what my Porsche Turbo came with. Two of them in fact. One for each cylinder bank. Intake air temperatures could be as low a just 10F over ambient.)

That's complicated to plumb correctly. It has to receive good air flow to properly cool the compressed air. So it has to sit in front of the car ahead of the A/C condenser and radiator. With my MINI JCW the intercooler was mounted down low under the radiator. But to provide the room the A/C condenser and radiator had to be shorter. But to offer sufficient cooling capacity thicker and wider.

So the exhaust gas routing is a real plumbing nightmare. Then routing the compressed air from the turbo to the intercooler is another plumbing nightmare. The the cooled air has to be routed to the intake.

Have not bothered to search for this but you can. See if you can find some company which offers a single turbo "kit" for your car that hopefully has all these issues adequately addressed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
While I love the efficiency of turbo charging. Plumbing a FMIC it the tight space is enough to turn me away. Let alone, custom headers, tubo placement, mounting, waistgate and BOV. A tube chassis car is one thing. A daily driver and maintaining A/C is another.

Good luck though. If you pull it off, you'll hit legend status for sure.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,650 Posts
Well procharger is a single turbo driven by a belt and gearbox.
True statement but without the exhaust routing issues of a turbo as Rockster stated. It does have considerable more parasitic drag than a turbo does though.

I've thought about this and was wondering if the turbo could be jet coated and then turbo blanketed and installed where the air box goes. The turbo could actually be fed fresh air through the headlight inlet using a Dips screen to block big stuff from coming in. As mentioned before, the hardest part would be routing the exhaust into the turbo. My guess would be some type of crossover coming into the turbo..

Just kind of thinking out loud and offering some food for thought.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
I always thought one big turbo (not oem) was more a race thing, and 2 was for driveability (spin up faster, less lag). 2 for race when they want 2 big turbos, lol.

What about twin sequential turbos? :devilish:

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,320 Posts
A few people have done it. It is not easy to package or tune since the boost is not directly rpm related and the PCM in these cars has power enrichment based on a throttle position.

If you're not extremely serious and trying to run 8s the turbo just isn't worth it.

Just get a pre-packaged blower and bolt it on. That will be expensive and difficult enough and provide plenty of power increase for a fun daily driver.

Do not forget that everything behind the engine also needs to be up to the task of handling more horsepower and torque.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts