Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 20 inch chrome factory 5 lug rims. Will these fit other dodges and as a result be a high desire theft item? I have used McGard in the past.

Does anyone make better locking lug nuts? I know the tow truck drivers have keys but how hard are they to get? Sometimes I have to park in a bad city and I dont want these stolen. Maybe I should run two locks on each rim to slow them down.

A bunch poped up when I searched Challenger. Which will work best on the RT rims?
Vehicle Application Guide - McGard: Innovative Security Products

Who makes the best ones? I am considering one set of the mcgards and one set of the gorilla brand to slow them down. I want them to be hard to remove with improvised tools as in limited grip on the lugs to make using a wrench hard.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I put Gorilla locking lugs on every vehicle I own. I get The System, which is a matched set of 20 locking lugs. They look great (much better than the cheap-azz factory lug nuts), and I don't have that one mis-matched wheel lock per wheel that would drive me nuts. At about $60 on the average, it's cheap peace of mind. If some guy is hoss enough to get past 20 locking lugs, he can have the damn wheels.

·
Super Moderator
14,138 Posts
I agree, the Gorilla locks are the best out there. I recommend the ones with the spinning sleeve.

I originally purchased the MOPAR wheel locks (made by McGard) for $35. I found out that "puzzle lock" lugs of this type can be easily defeated by using an oversize socket with reverse cutting threads. The only effective log is made by Gorilla. It has a free spinning sleeve so it can't be grabbed by a socket. Costs about $18. Here is the Gorilla site:

Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories (Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories) (Part# 61641)

If you don't want to buy 60 locking lug nuts, two on each wheel will still be good security. Just make sure they are opposite each other. If you only install one locking lug, thieves can remove the other four OEM lugs, jack up your car and then drop it. The stud, along with the locking lug, will then be sheared off.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys! I think I am going to run 4 gorilla and 1 mcgard on each rim. I have a 2010 RT and McGard only goes up to 2009. Do all the Challengers fit the same nuts? I have the factory 20 inch chrome dodge rims.

Would the Gorilla lock 1, 2, or the system be the most secure?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think my best bet will be to purchase the system and also one set of four of the ones with the rotating hood both from Gorilla. This will give me a locker on every lug and one of the super duty ones as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
well I had my rims stolen about a month ago,after 7000.00 worth of damage I put two locks on every wheel and bought a python alarm, with tilt sensors and a paging unit to let me know.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:cowtounge:
well I had my rims stolen about a month ago,after 7000.00 worth of damage I put two locks on every wheel and bought a python alarm, with tilt sensors and a paging unit to let me know.
How much are the factory chromes worth?

·
Registered
42 Posts
On mine they scratched the door,when they jacked it up they did it from the floor board, it pushed them up, my power seat would not work, then had to replace 2 calipers, because they dropped them on bricks,thats why mine was so much,it wasnt just the rims tires and pressure sensors.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What is the torque pattern for the lugs if I do it by hand? Do I have to loosen all the lugs if I install one gorilla on each and retighten? If I had one lug at the 12 oclock position and the others lined up which would I start and what pattern would you reccomend I tighten them in?

I am going to pick up the circular grilla guards today and order the entire set online. This will give me two different keys and a lock on every lug.

Do you guys know what style I need?

I want to put one Gorilla Guard on rach rim.
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla.guard.locks

I also want 4 of the Gorilla Guard Series on each rim.
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla.guard.locks

This gives me two keys and all lockers. My size is 14 x 1.50 but im not sure if the lugs are Acorn, Short Shank, Standard mag, Duplex mag, or Duplex acorn...

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Big city boys rules of wheel locks;1) two sets of wheel locks, label sockets left, right one set each side, as single locks wheel net you a broken stud plus stolen wheels 2) hide the sockets very deep in car, or better carry with U as thieves will breakin to get the sockets that most just store in glovebox or console.3) if you live in the big city and have paid off car, keep the comp insurance just in case a determined thief strikes, as above the damage a lot getting those wheels! And allways tighten wheels in a STAR or crisscross pattern, or any round shape for that matter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone modify or upgrade to a better alarm system?

I had a viper alarm before that I went too far with. I want to at the very least have a hidden interrior siren. Can I mount one on the factory system? Most thieves pop the hood and cut the horn cable. They also cut the battery so I was thinking of going with another viper alarm that has a hidden battery back up and that needs power to the unit in order to start the car.

Where is the brain of the factory alarm? I had my old aftermarket one hidden deep in the dash and all my wires were black so you couldnt tell them apart. Should I go with another viper with a starter and fuel pump kill set up? Most factory alarms are good to go but I cant find much info on the challenger alarm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went with a python same as viper,went with battery backup,hidden siren, sensors on the trunk and hood,2 tilt sensors(someone stole my rims one night )works good but sucks to carry 2 fobs around.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
^^ Little over kill

I have a Viper 5902 with extra sirens and a tilt sensor for my rims. Probably one of the best alarm installs I've ever seen too, won't describe on here but shoot me a PM and I will let you know how I put it in and hid it, but you can rip the car apart and still be pretty much clueless on where it is at.

I like the alarm more for the R/S, car finder, and sensor alert, and the range... thing works from campus to the parking garage.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was wanting to get the Viper 5902 alarm for my challenger but the install shop said I had to buy a $150 adapter and would have to leave my FOB key mounted in the car in order for the alarm to work. Is that how your is 727kid?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would not have that shop install anything on my car. You don't have to hide a key fob in the car. I use a Viper alarm and it works great. You need a Fortin EVO-CHR ignition module to make the alarm work with the Challenger. You program the EVO-CHR to your car when you install it. It works great and sets up the door locks, trunk release and interior light monitoring. My Viper remote start works better than the factory. You may have to add a hood switch if you don't have one on your car. If you have factory remote start, then you will have it. Do a search for Fortin and plug in your vehicle details for more info. There are other ignition modules you can use, this is just the one that I used.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yea that shop is either A. completely clueless or worse B. will steal your car. The only piece you need on top of the alarm is the XpressKit CHALL. I would not get any other bypass module if your running a Directed alarm. Period. I wouldn't even question it, it makes your install 300% easier.

·
Super Moderator
14,138 Posts

I highly endorse the Ravelco security device. I have had it for over two years now, and it really gives me peace of mind.

Just consider this- since 1976, the Ravelco has been installed in over 4 million vehicles and not one has been stolen! What better protection do you want for less than $400?

Here are some specifics:

The Ravelco anti-theft device is not a simple ignition by-pass system. It is much more sophisticated than that. The Ravelco uses an electronically coded plug to start your car. Each plug is individually coded and numbered and virtually unique (100,000 different combinations). The plug, composed of 16 copper beryllium pins, allows vehicle owners to disengage and carry it with them when they are done driving the vehicle.

Also, there are no visible wires and your vehicle and it cannot be hot-wired. In fact, even if thieves had the keys to a vehicle equipped with the Ravelco, they'd still be completely incapable of starting it. The Ravelco interrupts and disable critical electrical systems at several points and the owner must authenticate and interface with the coded plug and the ignition key to start the vehicle. The circuits interrupted by the Ravelco may vary from application to application. Typically, they would include the starting system, the electronic fuel injection system, the ignition system, or even the engine and power-train management system, or even the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) or Electronic Control Module (ECM) - commonly referred to as the computer.

A hidden armored steel cable camouflages and protects the wires from the rear of the Ravelco base on through to the engine compartment of the vehicle. All electrical connections are made in the engine compartment and are connected in and through the factory wiring harnesses. Since there are no exposed wires, a properly installed Ravelco is virtually impossible to detect and very time consuming to trace, because all the wires are the same color (black).

The Ravelco comes with a iron-clad lifetime warranty.

The Competition - Car Thief Stoppers

1 - 20 of 100 Posts