Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Challenger RT Shaker 5.7 Hemi
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first feeling is "hell yes" this car is perfect, looks, sound, and speed, fun, fun, fun. That is how I feel everyday, but I also have another feeling in the back of my head.

I have seen some pictures on this site of crashes, caused by others and all I can think of is don't hit me. I know it's stupid to think like this, who in the heck wants to worry about something that might happen, waste of headspace.

I have only had my 2021 Challenger RT Shaker less than 2 weeks, and I can already feel my paranoia of getting hit. My first modded up vehicle was in 1973, with a Chevy truck, loved that truck kept good care of it. Since then all my vehicles have been work trucks, I hate trucks now. This new Challenger I have I feel like I am 17 again, driving, keeping clean, thinking what I can add on, stuff like that.

I can see on this forum people love there cars, the joy and care put into them.

I have drove all my Pickup trucks, Broncos, Escapes, never worrying about anything, driving crazy and not crazy.

I am wondering if you have felt with your new Challenger or other, a little paranoid of getting in a crash, not from yourself, but from others. Getting scratched or dented in parking lots, all that kind of stuff. I am sure I am not the first to worry a little. I am sure this feeling will wear off.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
331 Posts
You're not alone. I bought my first Challenger a few years ago; searched months for the right car. It was a used 2010 R/T Classic M6 in Hemi Orange with 14K miles. It was absolutely beautiful and perfect. Flew to Cleveland and drove it back home to Dallas.

28 days later it was on a roll-back headed to the insurance pool because another ass-hat driver took it away from me being stupid. It still had the temporary tags on it. Yes, I was paid out promptly and very fairly by the other party's insurance company (amazingly enough). But I was pretty traumatized by the event. Not physically, or "afraid" to drive, but just a feeling of "what's the f-ing use of having anything nice".

It was over two months before I had the stomach to even start looking for a replacement car. When I did, I found the Challenger I have now. It was newer, lower miles, and in the same or better condition than the 2010. Flew to Augusta GA, and drove it home to Dallas.

Yes, I was made whole on the entire deal, and then some. But, do I want to go through it again? No way in hell! I'd rather have just kept my 2010, and not gone through the drama. It was a damned hard way to move up in years and miles for even money!

Now, every time I get in my current Challenger, I remind myself how lucky I am to have it, and how this could be the day it's taken away from me just like the last one. It reminds me to be careful and stay aware out there.

I still drive and enjoy it most every day, but the event with the 2010 just changed me and the way I feel. I'm a little more jaded than before, and realize it could happen again. My advise is drive and enjoy the car, but be realistic about how the driving world is out there. And, carry good insurance!

Cheers!

JD

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed
213 Posts
I remember being nervous about driving a car I was very unfamiliar with, especially since I hadn't driven a manual regularly in years. I remember hoping the 310 mile trek back home, driving through Louisville and Nashville, would be uneventful.

·
Registered
2019 challenger redeye
37 Posts
I agree it's the perfect car. First time I opened up the gas I shocked just how fast it really is. The redeye replacing a 500hp Camaro. The camaro is a toy compared to the redeye. the FREAKING car ROCKS.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I felt like the king of the world on that first drive (still do any time I'm in the car). Yes I worry more about anything happening to it, because this car is obviously an emotional purchase not an essential or necessity. But I quickly remind myself that it is material and it's more important to enjoy it than to worry about it. Ultimately I can replace it if necessary

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,147 Posts
I empathize with all of the “what could happen” thoughts voiced here. For me, I left for a cross country and back road trip in 2015 with my car four days after I bought it. 8000 miles and 22 days later the car had a few rock chips to show for it. But it performed like a fine Swiss watch and I was very pleased overall. I bought the car to enjoy it, not to save it for the next guy that owns it. I enjoy it most on the road seeing America. That said, I understand it is not easy to just put all the worry out of your head, but if one dwells on it too much you may not be enjoying the potential of the car to its fullest. For those where that anxiety is too much, they may be better off not owning something like a Challenger.

·
Registered
2019 challenger redeye
37 Posts
I empathize with all of the “what could happen” thoughts voiced here. For me, I left for a cross country and back road trip in 2015 with my car four days after I bought it. 8000 miles and 22 days later the car had a few rock chips to show for it. But it performed like a fine Swiss watch and I was very pleased overall. I bought the car to enjoy it, not to save it for the next guy that owns it. I enjoy it most on the road seeing America. That said, I understand it is not easy to just put all the worry out of your head, but if one dwells on too much you may not be enjoying the potential of the car to its fullest. For those where that anxiety is too much, they may be better off not owning something like a Challenger.
I sediments exactly. Enjoy your toys

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide body A8 in Go Mango
142 Posts
Yep, I’m always watching out for other drivers. Even then it’s unavoidable. I was making a left turn from one side street onto another in my 2012 Challenger. While half way through the turn, the lady at the stop sign gave it gas and t-boned me, not a mile from my house. Then she said, I don’t know how I didn’t see you.

The other day I was at a red light in my SPWB. 2 lanes could go straight and the right lane could also make a right. I was in the right lane when the fellow next to me got rear ended. Again not a mile from my house.

Not going to deter me from enjoying my car though.

Reactions: marpow

·
Registered
2019 challenger redeye
37 Posts
Yep, I’m always watching out for other drivers. Even then it’s unavoidable. I was making a left turn from one side street onto another in my 2012 Challenger. While half way through the turn, the lady at the stop sign gave it gas and t-boned me, not a mile from my house. Then she said, I don’t know how I didn’t see you.

The other day I was at a red light in my SPWB. 2 lanes could go straight and the right lane could also make a right. I was in the right lane when the fellow next to me got rear ended. Again not a mile from my house.

Not going to deter me from enjoying my car though.
safety trip stay 2 miles away from Scat392WD home.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,050 Posts
I empathize with all of the “what could happen” thoughts voiced here. For me, I left for a cross country and back road trip in 2015 with my car four days after I bought it. 8000 miles and 22 days later the car had a few rock chips to show for it. But it performed like a fine Swiss watch and I was very pleased overall. I bought the car to enjoy it, not to save it for the next guy that owns it. I enjoy it most on the road seeing America. That said, I understand it is not easy to just put all the worry out of your head, but if one dwells on too much you may not be enjoying the potential of the car to its fullest. For those where that anxiety is too much, they may be better off not owning something like a Challenger.
Same here. Take care of it, service it, and enjoy it.

Rock chips and Rocky Mountain road trips. I'll take more any time.

Wheel Tire Car Mountain Plant
Wheel Tire Window Vehicle Hood

No "chip shortage" 😆

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
284 Posts
Don't really drive any differently, pretty much try to keep an eye out of potential idiots no matter what I'm driving. However when I get a new vehicle I do tend to drive less aggressively until I get a better feel for what the car can and cannot do. Once I get more comfortable knowing how the car will react under certain inputs I ratchet up the driving style until I start to feel a little uncomfortable again and back it back down.

Always going to be people out there not paying attention and being potential accident... well I guess more accurately, wreck causers. I try not to think about them and drive defensively. That's why I have insurance.

Reactions: Brian392 and marpow

·
Registered
604 Posts
Don't really drive any differently, pretty much try to keep an eye out of potential idiots no matter what I'm driving.
I’ve always driven defensively (43 yrs 0 accidents) but I definitely notice myself turning the defensive driving up a notch when I’m operating one of my non-dailies.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,275 Posts
When it was new, right after paint correction and coating, it was darn near perfect, and anything on the paint made me fret ;) I still don't want anything to happen to it, but after 5+ years, the perfect has worn off some, and now it's not as worrisome. I still have no major defects (knock head) and hope it stays that way. I still treat it like it's new care wise, and still love to drive it short trip or long. I know other car guys and gals are looking when they see it too. Even if it's not a "Is that a Hellcat?" :D I'd park my SXT next to any trim Challenger and not feel ashamed :cool:

It's my only car, so if I want/need to go somewhere, it gets driven. Rain (if it ever rains here again), snow (yeah right), etc.

A Guy

·
Registered
35 Posts
I look at it as eventually something is going to happen... a door ding, rock chip, scratch, etc.. I'm always on the lookout for crazy drivers and potentially bad situations. I am a very defensively type driver, but know anything can happen. So I just enjoy my rides and try not to sweat it. If it happens, then I'll just deal with it then. Enjoy your ride and do the best you can. It's all you can do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is our 3rd challenger (first 2 were leased). The only thing I really worry about now is the black wheels getting chipped. 4K miles and each one has some kind of nick, courtesy of the Los Angeles Freeway System. My wife was a little upset when I showed her. But how you gonna control freeway debris when you are spending much of your time in heavy traffic? I will get a bottle of touch-up paint and just deal with the issues as they happen. No point in worrying. I would rather just enjoy the car.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Sooooo nervous when I first got mine. Especially getting used to the manual/power again. I also ride motorcycles so I am used to having my head on a swivel. But still paranoid when I drive it.
The fun factor and all the compliments I get more than make up for it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts