Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has already been posted, but the Search doesn't have an "and" option, its useless.

I have the SE, but that shoudln't make a difference. The manual shows the fob has a door, but my fob doesn't have anything that looks like a door at all.

Does anybody know how I open mine up, maybe even have some pictures as to what I can expect when I do open it up, and what battery I'm supposed to buy to replace the one that is in there?

TIA,

JL

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry, No Pictures

Mine is an R/T but I figure they're similar if not the same.
1) Start with removing the metal key inside the fob. You should see a switch on the front of the fob under the buttons.

2) When you look at the socket that the metal key came out of, you'll notice the large hole for the key and another smaller pocket that's about the size of the tip of the key...

3) put the tip of the key inside that smaller pocket and use it as leverage to pry the fob in half.

You should be able to pull off the face of the fob and remove the rubber button piece at this point, and the battery will be visible.
Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
423 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think the procedure is in the owners manual.

Be thankful it has a replaceable battery. My '05 GTO had 2 key fobs, but neither had a replaceable battery. Good old GM- - when the battery dies, you get to buy a whole new fob, and pay to have it programmed as well!

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
if you remove the battery do you need to reprogarm the fob?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I just changed the battery in one of my remotes, and no reprogramming was required, SRT5939. It simply worked after the change.

I was worried, too. Because, it had just stopped working in the middle of the day. I left the car, locked the doors with the key fob. Then, came back out to get in the car, and nothing. No response what so ever. I pulled the key out of the key fob, manually unlocked the door (yes, the alarm went off), popped the "push start" button out of the dash, and used the key fob as the key, turned the ignition on, and the alarm went off, and the car started. I went home, tested the 2nd key fob, and it worked, so I guessed battery. Went to radio Shack, picked up a battery, installed it. And, the remote started working again, no problem..

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
if you remove the battery do you need to reprogarm the fob?
There's a capacitor inside these fobs that will keep the memory during a battery change...so if you have the new battery at hand when you make the change, you'll be fine.

Otherwise, if the fob won't work, you can insert the key into the ignition port (remove the push button if your car has Keyless Go) and it should re-synch and be ready to go again.

Then re-install the start button if you had to do so.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ran mine through the washing machine and it was dead as a door nail. Replaced the battery a couple weeks later and all is well.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
I just changed the battery in one of my remotes, and no reprogramming was required, SRT5939. It simply worked after the change.

I was worried, too. Because, it had just stopped working in the middle of the day. I left the car, locked the doors with the key fob. Then, came back out to get in the car, and nothing. No response what so ever. I pulled the key out of the key fob, manually unlocked the door (yes, the alarm went off), popped the "push start" button out of the dash, and used the key fob as the key, turned the ignition on, and the alarm went off, and the car started. I went home, tested the 2nd key fob, and it worked, so I guessed battery. Went to radio Shack, picked up a battery, installed it. And, the remote started working again, no problem..
When you made it home, did you try the failed keyfob before replacing the battery? Reason I ask is mine did the exact same thing once - except when I got home, the fob was working fine and I checked the battery just in case and it was fine. Has worked perfectly ever since.

·
Registered
757 Posts
When you made it home, did you try the failed keyfob before replacing the battery? Reason I ask is mine did the exact same thing once - except when I got home, the fob was working fine and I checked the battery just in case and it was fine. Has worked perfectly ever since.
Yep. I tried it several times throughout the day, before getting home and trying the second key fob. And, I even tried it again right then and there, to see if the second key fob "jarred" anything, and fixed something in the system. But, nothing. Dead. No response what so ever.
Also, since I abbreviated my original story above. It was actually several days before I purchased the replacement battery for the first key fob, and installed it. But, during all those days, the key fob was apart, with the battery removed. It had to be at least three days, I think. And again, once I installed the new battery, it started working just fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Interesting Related Problem

Not to thread jack I had the opposite problem with my key fob one morning.

I walked out to my car on a chilly morning and saw the windows were down and I could hear "thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk" as the doors continually tried to unlock themselves. I pulled the key out of my pocket and got in, started it up, problem went away.
I got to dunkin donuts and got out, locked the door, and started walking away when my headlights started flashing again, and my windows went down. I ended up ripping the fob apart on the counter while I ordered breakfast and ripped the battery out. Problem solved.

Put the battery back in about 1 minute later and all was well with the world.

Any ideas?

BTW I did NOT eat my breakfast in my car! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the procedure is in the owners manual.

Be thankful it has a replaceable battery. My '05 GTO had 2 key fobs, but neither had a replaceable battery. Good old GM- - when the battery dies, you get to buy a whole new fob, and pay to have it programmed as well!

Yeah, the manual shows a nice picture of my fob, and a picture of the backside of the fob with a little door with a clip to open it up. Alas my fob has no such door...

My manual also says I can program a new key as long as I had the two original ones. That turned out to be false too. I bought an aftermarket Fob and couldn't get it to program. I had to go to the dealer to get it programmed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine is an R/T but I figure they're similar if not the same.
1) Start with removing the metal key inside the fob. You should see a switch on the front of the fob under the buttons.

2) When you look at the socket that the metal key came out of, you'll notice the large hole for the key and another smaller pocket that's about the size of the tip of the key...

3) put the tip of the key inside that smaller pocket and use it as leverage to pry the fob in half.

You should be able to pull off the face of the fob and remove the rubber button piece at this point, and the battery will be visible.
Hope this helps!
Its a snow day today so I don't have my keys. but I'll check out your information tonight. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I not too thrilled about tearing apart a $250 fob and busting it... I'll see if I can take some pics for others.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Ran mine through the washing machine and it was dead as a door nail. Replaced the battery a couple weeks later and all is well.
....I did that with a FOB from a previous car I owned. In my case, it killed it. :( I'm usually very careful to check my pockets but even more so now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its a snow day today so I don't have my keys. but I'll check out your information tonight. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I not too thrilled about tearing apart a $250 fob and busting it... I'll see if I can take some pics for others.

Ok, I followed your directions perfectly, and it opened up just like you said.

thanks!!

Here are some pics of the procedure:

http://jleslie48.com/fobkey/acs.html

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
My issue was only bad batteries after almost 4 years, this no fob issue for me was both batteries dead, replaced works fine!

On Wifes 2010 they only lasted 2.5 years ugg not long..And her's does not use keyless start, only door open/close ..

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
My issue was only bad batteries after almost 4 years, this no fob issue for me was both batteries dead, replaced works fine!

On Wifes 2010 they only lasted 2.5 years ugg not long..And her's does not use keyless start, only door open/close ..
same issue here, both batteries dying after 3 years. Cheap enough to fix($5), but the first car I've ever owned that needed fob batteries that soon. My '03 Silverado is still working fine on the originals:scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
I just recently replaced batteries in both of mine in my 2010. So 2.5 years for me as well. :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts