Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2013 R/T Classic I purchased November 2012 It currently has 73k miles. In 2015 I had the dealer install the Mopar Stage 1 Springs. Fast forward 3 years and the ride in the car is horrible my fiancee and I get sick on bumpy roads and can feel the suspension getting worse. I can tell it is the shock and strut dampeners and I have taken it to the dealer but they won't replace them because they are not leaking. I go over speed bumps and the car bottoms out.

The second issue is intermittent but happens several times a week where I turn the car on and you can hear the engine clack for 15-30 seconds then it is fine. Sometimes it's not as prominent other times it's really loud. The dealer can't reproduce the issue but I would like to get that fixed as well

I have a Mopar Max Care warranty on the car that expires in 2 years. How can I go about getting this resolved? I understand the dealer has to follow their guidelines but I want my shocks replaced and them to address the valve clatter I keep hearing. I have taken it to another dealer and was told it's normal when I know it's not. Hemi tick and engine sounding like it wants to sefd destruct are 2 different things.

The only mods are the Scat Pack Stage 1 kit and Mopar Stage 1 springs. All items were dealer installed.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I know this isn’t what you want to hear but I wouldn’t change them either. Why would they? You modified the geometry of the factory suspension. Most likely caused the shocks & struts to wear out prematurely and now you expect the dealer to fix/replace it under warranty? Gotta be realistic my friend.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know this isn’t what you want to hear but I wouldn’t change them either. Why would they? You modified the geometry of the factory suspension. Most likely caused the shocks & struts to wear out prematurely and now you expect the dealer to fix/replace it under warranty? Gotta be realistic my friend.
I understand where you are coming from but when I spoke to the service manager before I had them installed they said this will not void any warranty as long as the dealer installs them. The dealer said if they are leaking then they will replace them. I had the dealer install the scatback stage 1 on my car which changed the ecm, exhaust and intake yet those are covered.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I think you maybe confused on a warranty claim on parts that have broken, were faulting from the start and need replacing and parts that have simply worn out due to age & use after 6 yrs, 3 of which have been under altered specs.
This is sorta like asking the dealer to replace your tires because they dont have tread anymore after half a decade..
Im not sure what your extended care plan states are items covered, but most times (but not always) it will not cover things, like tires, wipers, brakes, shocks, drive belts, front glass, lost key fobs, etc that have simply worn out due to use & age. sometiems known as 'consumables / wearable items'
read your paperwork. i suspect if two dealers told you no-go, then those items are not covered under your plan.

as for the start up noise. have you thought about recording a vid of it on your phone or camera?. that would be alot more helpful for the dealer and anyone else to diag whats going on.

·
Super Moderator
13,601 Posts
I agree with the comments the other members have posted about your Stage 1 springs.

As far as the valve clatter goes, I would take it to another dealer for an analysis.

·
Super Moderator
14,836 Posts
at 73K, I wouldn't be surprised that the shocks & struts are wearing out.

They are wear items that get replaced similarly as brake pads, clutch friction discs and tires.

From the dealer's perspective, the shock / strut units haven't failed (evidence of hydraulic oil leaking), rather they are worn out.

Put a set of new Bilsteins on there and you'll be up and running.

The lifter clatter on startup - probably try a different model of oil filter. Yours might have an oil anti-drainback valve that doesn't seal up at shut down. try the SRT filter ending in 041AA and see if that helps that matter.

Some aftermarket oil filters aren't made to consistent or high quality standards - lots of articles about that.

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
FCA warranty and Mopar extended service plan do not cover wear, covers failures, no service plans cover wear, hence if shocks are leaking, covered, if worn not covered, and in theory lowering springs can affect the shocks and struts and may affect warranty, however unsure I would decline based on that.

Mopar Stage One springs are a P number, P5155436, which means sold as is. By the way, most performance parts are sold as is with no implied warranty or fitness for a particular application.

Most shock or strut manufacturers recommend replacement between 60 and 100k miles for struts and shocks. At 73k miles, would consider it to be a maintenance item, just like replacing tires.

On the engine noise, I would seek the opinion of another dealer.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think the dealer is clearly in the right here and you have no leg to stand on. Shocks and struts are wear items and not covered under warranty. Plus YOU did modify the suspension.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am using a Mopar filter I take my car to the dealer for the oil changes. I normally buy their 4 pack of synthetic oil changes.

Also on the receipt for when I had the springs installed the service department wrote in that the springs installation will not void any warranty related to the suspension.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
412 Posts
I have a 2013 R/T Classic I purchased November 2012 It currently has 73k miles. In 2015 I had the dealer install the Mopar Stage 1 Springs. Fast forward 3 years and the ride in the car is horrible my fiancee and I get sick on bumpy roads and can feel the suspension getting worse. I can tell it is the shock and strut dampeners and I have taken it to the dealer but they won't replace them because they are not leaking. I go over speed bumps and the car bottoms out.

The second issue is intermittent but happens several times a week where I turn the car on and you can hear the engine clack for 15-30 seconds then it is fine. Sometimes it's not as prominent other times it's really loud. The dealer can't reproduce the issue but I would like to get that fixed as well

I have a Mopar Max Care warranty on the car that expires in 2 years. How can I go about getting this resolved? I understand the dealer has to follow their guidelines but I want my shocks replaced and them to address the valve clatter I keep hearing. I have taken it to another dealer and was told it's normal when I know it's not. Hemi tick and engine sounding like it wants to sefd destruct are 2 different things.

The only mods are the Scat Pack Stage 1 kit and Mopar Stage 1 springs. All items were dealer installed.
When you put the Stage 1 springs on your R/T, how was your alignment? Did you also change the front control arms? And, did you put camber bushings in the rear?

I had the Stage 1 springs on my 2011 Challenger R/T Classic and the ride was bad like you described until I also changed the control arms and camber bushings.

If you didn't change the control arms and rear camber bushings, then the poor alignment has probably contributed to wearing out the shocks sooner than expected.

As for the valve train clatter .... what kind of oil are you using?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Others have covered the shocks and Struts. Nothing more to be said on that issue. If they aren't getting the job done at 73,000 I'm not surprised and honestly I'm surprised you believe the warranty covers them at this point.

The engine noise at start up......that's a whole other issue and you may not like the noise but it doesn't mean the noise suggests an actual problem. It's far from unusual for valve train noise to show up over time and again you've got 73,000 miles on the engine now. Dead QUIET would be nice to have but it's pretty rare on a less than brand new motor.

The good part though.....a little extra noise at start up and it goes away......if the engine's power is still solid you really don't have a problem for the warranty to fix. If it really bothers you? Turn the radio up a bit that'll fix it.

On a more serious note:

If your "noise" is accompanied by a rough idle and a noticeable lack of power and/or MPG now you've got an actual warranty issue in need of repair.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Max Care covers shocks and struts, also it will replace your key fob 2 times
Max Care Verbiage:
COVERAGE UNDER THE PLAN: WHAT IS COVERED? The Plan will pay the total cost (parts and labor) less a deductible per visit, to correct any of the following mechanical failures, caused by a defect in materials or workmanship of a covered component and are not covered by the vehicle’s factory warranty. The only exceptions are those listed under “What is not covered by the Plan”.

I know it’s not what the OP wants to hear, but think it is a stretch to expect a worn-out shock to be covered.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went ahead and purchased Bilstein B6 Shocks and struts. I was thinking my Stage 1 springs have 50k miles on them should I look at replacing the springs as well?

As for the engine sound, I will be taking the car to the dealer to have them listen to it. It's hard because its intermittent and when it happens the car shakes stumbles and then quiets down and becomes normal.

·
Super Moderator
14,836 Posts
I went ahead and purchased Bilstein B6 Shocks and struts. I was thinking my Stage 1 springs have 50k miles on them should I look at replacing the springs as well?

As for the engine sound, I will be taking the car to the dealer to have them listen to it. It's hard because its intermittent and when it happens the car shakes stumbles and then quiets down and becomes normal.
Your springs should be fine 50K is nothing, in the scheme of things as far as wear on a street driven vehicle.

If you had an off road vehicle and it was used to its full capabilities, those might be worn out or broken.
- for a street driven passenger vehicle, unless there's evidence of sagging (loss of spring rate) or a broken spring, they'll last a very long time.

Note: in areas where the vehicles are driven in winter, salted roads, the bottom coils will often rust and over time can fracture or break in those areas due to corrosion.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Springs are affected by time more so than actual miles, unless you are jumping the car or carry heavy loads (more than 4 200 lb bodies in the trunk at a time). They support the weight of the car 24/7 whether or not the car is actually moving. Your springs are not that old.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had the dealer install the scatback stage 1 on my car which changed the ecm, exhaust and intake yet those are covered.
Per the verbiage in a Mopar Maximum Care Plan (pics below), exhaust manifolds are covered by the extended warranty, but other exhaust-system components are not.

Some dealer-installed Mopar performance parts are covered by the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty but are not covered by Mopar Maximum Care Plans?

Exhaust Manifolds Covered

Exhaust System Components NOT Covered
[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts