Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie question: I have a new 2016 I've owned for two months. I've updated the Uconnect.

I have an OLD iPod with all my iTunes music. I think it was the first iPod with a screen.

I plug it via a cord into the USB port in the car and the iPod when the car is on and I'm on the "media" screen showing what the source of the media is from: USB, SD card or Bluetooth, but I get nothing.

I downloaded my iTunes file onto a flash drive, put that in and nothing - doesn't read it or anything.

I do not have a smart phone - it doesn't access the internet. I am willing to get one.

What should I do at this point? What's the best/quickest/easiest way to get my music files onto the car's computer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
The USB should work. In what format did you copy them to the USB? Use the most native choice: WAV or MP3.

Reactions: kanga573

·
Registered
194 Posts
deleted - dup

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't have an ipod, but it should work in your car. The source would be USB. You might need to tap USB on the touch screen to switch to that source. Once the source is selected it will be highlighted. Depending how much music you have it might take a while to index and start to play.

I am, unfortunately, familiar with itunes. Your itunes music is stored in a proprietary format. You want it in MP3 or WAV for your car. Some Googling shows that itunes can export to mp3, but it looks like it's 1 song at a time. There is probably a utility that will do a batch conversion. If you bought your music from Apple itunes won't export it.

I think your simplest path is to get the ipod working. There are some USB cords that are only for charging. Make sure the 1 you're using works on your computer to connect to itunes. Again, the indexing takes a while, try waiting to see if it starts up.

FWIW I have about 5,000 songs in MP3 format on a 64GB flash drive. It works great in the car, but there are some nuances to the way songs are tagged that make a big difference. When I first plug it in it takes about 5 minutes to index.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Your iPod should work fine if you downloaded your music from iTunes. Its all I have used for years now and I love how it works pretty much the same as iTunes does on the computer. Being able to browse all of your music by playlist, artist, album and more is great. I personally think it sounds better also but does require a little time adjusting the settings to get the sound you like. I have an old Classic model that I have used for years without an issue in two Chargers, two Rams and my 13 Challenger. When I bought the 17 Scat I started having issues as it would connect eventually but would not allow me to browse or select a different playlist. Chrysler changed the head unit out twice but it still wouldn't work right. Chryslers tech. people eventually said the old iPod was not fully compatible with the new head units. I was not happy but my wife knowing how much I love music bought me a new 128g iPod for Christmas. I'm happy to say the new one connects instantly and works perfectly. If you know someone with a newer iPod you should try theirs to see if it works in your car before heading to the dealer like I did. It would have saved me and the dealer all the wasted time. Chrysler has had some issues with USB ports in the console so you may want to have them check the ports. It only takes a few minutes to have them changed. Also as clump said earlier make sure your cord is an apple cord and not an aftermarket one. I was told by multiple people it does matter with the new head units. Good luck

·
Registered
352 Posts
I use a San Disk 64GB USB Flash Drive in my 2016 Unconnect 8.4 system and there are several things you need to keep in mind.

Before loading the USB Flash Drive with music you need to format it to the correct file system. I chose NTFS since it allows for the highest capacity. Figure that out first by looking at the properties of the Flash Drive on your PC with the drive inserted.

FAT (technically, FAT32) works, up to it's sad little limit of 32G.
exFAT doesn't work at all.
NTFS works, tested up to 256G

Depending upon how many songs you load onto the Flash Drive it's normal for the uconnect to take up to 5 minutes per 1,000 files to look through the files the first time. If you have ton's of mp3's it's going to take quite a bit of time before the Unconnect System goes through all of them and indexes them for use and display on your Uconnect screen. (This may be why it seems like it's not working...it just is taking a while to initially index them)

Mp3 or wave files are what I'd choose to use since they are universal file formats. I prefer mp3 files at 320bits since they are CD quality and smaller than raw WAV files. Flac and Itunes files won't work. You can convert itunes to mp3 I believe using their software. Hopefully this helps...

-----------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't seem to convert them, and it looks like should I ever figure it out, it'll be one song at a time. I have thousands. I see these youtube videos on how to convert each song on iTunes, but the screens they're showing look nothing like mine. I do have the latest version... I may try a newer iPod I guess... Thanks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes, I'd agree that the easiest solution to your problem would be to update your older Ipod to a newer model. With the large amount of music files it sounds like you have in Apple file format (M4a?), converting them would probably take up a huge amount of time for you. Maybe the newer Ipods will allow batch conversions to Mp3 files, although I'd assume Apple would rather you keep things in their proprietary format just so they can make sure that you have to keep an Ipod around to play back all your files. (LOL)

-------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
194 Posts
3.5mm headset plug into your AUX Port might do it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I can't seem to convert them, and it looks like should I ever figure it out, it'll be one song at a time. I have thousands. I see these youtube videos on how to convert each song on iTunes, but the screens they're showing look nothing like mine. I do have the latest version... I may try a newer iPod I guess... Thanks.
I'm not sure about how to convert them either . I never did that to begin with. However my iTunes was set up from the start allowed me to use the iPod. It was just plug and play for me and that's good because this old fart is not computer savvy. Wish I could help more but everything seemed to work automatically with mine from the beginning. If you do get a new iPod I can say they run about 279 bucks for the 6th gen. 128g unit. ( my old classic was the 40g one and was maxed out ) But you'll find the new ones do so much more than just store music. From what I learned while researching them the new ones are basically an i7 phone with all the same apps and the same camera but without the ability to make a phone call. One other thing you may try is giving apple support a call. I had to do that a couple of years ago when I had an issue with iTunes and they were able to fix the problem in just a few minutes.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,779 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts