Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Redeye
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used Challenger tonight and it has a "performance chip" in the OBD2 port.

I want to put the car back to stock. Do I just disconnect the battery and pull that thing out? Or is there more to it?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,816 Posts
From their website:

How does this product work?

Using your OBD on board computer port - plugs right in - our product modifies signals sent to your vehicles ECU computer. The module optimizes functions such as ignition timing, air fuel mixture, fuel maps and produces more power and better gas mileage. The ECU of modern vehicles controls a series of actuators on an internal combustion engine to ensure the optimum running. It does this by reading values from a multitude of sensors within the engine bay, interpreting the data using multidimensional performance maps (Look-up tables), and adjusting the engine actuators accordingly.

Sounds like you can just unplug it, as the device doesn’t make any changes that need to be undone for uninstallation.

Reactions: Goins2754

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Redeye
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From their website:

How does this product work?

Using your OBD on board computer port - plugs right in - our product modifies signals sent to your vehicles ECU computer. The module optimizes functions such as ignition timing, air fuel mixture, fuel maps and produces more power and better gas mileage. The ECU of modern vehicles controls a series of actuators on an internal combustion engine to ensure the optimum running. It does this by reading values from a multitude of sensors within the engine bay, interpreting the data using multidimensional performance maps (Look-up tables), and adjusting the engine actuators accordingly.

Sounds like you can just unplug it, as the device doesn’t make any changes that need to be undone for uninstallation.
Thanks. Yeah, I saw that but wasn't sure if it was okay to just pull it. I just got this thing and didn't want to yank it out and have it not start anymore. :p

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,515 Posts
These "chips" just alter parameters while plugged in. I'd make sure car is off and all lights have gone off, then pull it. There should not be any permanent changes

A Guy

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
BTW: I have never heard of that product, which struck me as odd, so I did a little more reading on their site. And from that, I have severe doubts as to whether that product delivers any of the performance increase they promise.

This FAQ answer tells me everything I need to know about that product:

Can this harm my engine or vehicle electronics?

No, not at all. Zero % chance of any harm. Our products have been dyno tested and proven to work without any bad effects on the vehicle. We guarantee this!

If it can’t harm the engine, it can’t help it much either.

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Redeye
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW: I have never heard of that product, which struck me as odd, so I did a little more reading on their site. And from that, I have severe doubts as to whether that product delivers any of the performance increase they promise.

This FAQ answer tells me everything I need to know about that product:

Can this harm my engine or vehicle electronics?

No, not at all. Zero % chance of any harm. Our products have been dyno tested and proven to work without any bad effects on the vehicle. We guarantee this!

If it can’t harm the engine, it can’t help it much either.
Yeah, when I saw it in there during the walkaround, I thought they left a bluetooth OBDII scanner plugged in by accident. I tried to pull it out, but it's kinda locked in. When I got the car home, I got under there with a flashlight and saw a the "Stage 1" with the QR code. So, I scanned it and it brought me to that website. It says their "Stage 1" is a fuel saver tune. I don't know if it works. On the drive home I got about 10 mpg, but that's mostly because every open gap on the highway is a dragstrip in a new Hellcat. :p

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,515 Posts
Honestly, most of these plug in, one size fits all chips either make very little changes, or if they do could be problematic. Some even fit multiple engines, makes, etc. No way that can do much good

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,959 Posts
Since they say nothing about exactly what they do, they probably do... exactly nothing. But what they may do is trick/override IAT readings, which could cause a different a/f ratio and timing.
I wouldn't trust it, but if I had it in my possession I might try some performance runs with it, then remove and repeat.
Here is the part I like "Results do vary and can sometimes take up to 2 weeks to see results due to computer learning. Stage 1 recalibrates the ignition and fuel based on the variables such as the fuel octane, ambient air temp and other sensors in addition to driving style. "

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I would pull the ground terminal off of the battery while the car door is open, do not close the trunk, and after about 10 minutes, remove that thing and then hook the battery up and go for a ride to see. If you have a warranty on the car, and since the dealer sold it to with it on, I would try to see if the dealer would remove it first though, for free of course.
I plug and unplug things from my OBD port all the time while the car is running so, everything I said is overkill but since you just bought the car, I would not mess with anything.

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Redeye
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Follow up, I disconnected the negative battery terminal, waiting about 10 min, pulled it out, and the car ran fine. I didn't notice any difference between when it was in and after I removed it, honestly.

I also received an email from the company after I'd done that confirming all you have to do it unplug it an it'll go back to stock.

Thanks for the help, everyone! :)

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
BTW - congrats on the new car...

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Follow up, I disconnected the negative battery terminal, waiting about 10 min, pulled it out, and the car ran fine. I didn't notice any difference between when it was in and after I removed it, honestly.

I also received an email from the company after I'd done that confirming all you have to do it unplug it an it'll go back to stock.

Thanks for the help, everyone! :)
(y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts