Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rocker panel cladding on my 2010 SRT is cracked at the rear end. I guess this is a very common problem.

I was just at the dealer's parts department and they claim that if you remove it you need new clips. You apparently can't just buy the clips and you must buy the whole freakin' panel for $200. Is this really true? I don't believe it.

I'm sure I can fix the existing part with some glue and reinforcing material on the back side - if I can get it off the car. My questions are:
1. How do you remove the plastic rivets at both ends of the panel?
2. Once I remove the rivets, how do I remove the panel in such a manner that I can reinstall it?

Car is out of warranty so that's not really an option.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This is literally the only flaw on my car and it's bugging the crap out of me!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,
Thanks much. Seems more difficult than I thought - I didn't know there was tape behind there and it sounds like you risk breaking these clips pretty easily. Also, my car doesn't have bolts at the front/back. It has what looks like some kind of plastic pop rivets. Probably have to drill them out.

I was hoping to just take the thing off, glue up the crack with some fiberglass reinforcement behind it and put it back on. Knowing how things go for me, I'm afraid once I start this, I'll end up with a mess!

Maybe I'll try this before I put it away for the winter. If I can save the old piece, great. If not, I'll have to buy a new one. At least I'll have the time to work it out. Just got it out of storage a couple of weeks ago and I just want to drive it now!

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
FYI, just for reference: a local shop lifted my car wrong and broke my panels. They paid to have the panels repaired at a body shop in town. The cost of the new panels + installation was around $400.

·
Vendor
12,930 Posts
not rivets, unscrew the center out, remove screws, 2 front and 2 rear per side, once the screws are out, pry the square block out front and back and then simply carefully pull and unsnap the panel from the rocker, some force will be necessary and you will probably bend the inner sheet metal a little, very flimsy, simply push the metal back inot shape, less than 10 minutes per side to take off
Luke

1 - 5 of 5 Posts