Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know: You turn the knob and they light up. But how is that accomplished?

Reason I ask: I want to put high-output blue bulbs in my 2014 SXT. When I tried, they looked dim and brown just like the OEM bulbs. The wires at the sockets are TINY, like 20-gauge. This makes me think they run thru the BCM and there's serious current limiting in place, either by design or because of limitations in the BCM.

The limit for 20-ga wire is 5 amps, which corresponds to 60W.

My plan is to install relays to handle the higher-output lamps.

Questions:
1: is there already a relay in the system? I know there's a 25A fuse under the hood, but only a maniac would send 25A thru those tiny wires.
2: Do the lights go thru the BCM? The turn signals do for sure, so they blink when you lock/unlock. But the headlights?
3: The fact that fog lights have to be programmed reinforces my thoughts that the BCM is involved. Just changing the switch to one with fogs won't do it without programming.
4: Anyone know exactly how this works, and what are the current limits?
5: Am I on the right track with the relays, or is this just a pipe dream?

This is what the Silverstar bulbs look like:

I've got the OEM bulbs back in there until I can figure this out.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,324 Posts
Better check local and state laws, Blues are not truly legal in many areas sure you can buy the Bulbs and install them doesn't make them Legal.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They're only tinted blue enough to cast white light, not blue light. But since the blue tint is a filter, less light gets thru, so they use a higher-wattage filament. Say a 75W filament throws 55W of white light. Except when they don't, as above. So back on topic, anyone know for sure if the lights go thru the BCM? Current limited?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, if nobody knows, I'll be the guinea pig. Relay harness ordered.

Reactions: MEKrunner

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Relay harness arrived. Made in Taiwan, not PRC, I guess that's as good as it gets these days. This is the Putco harness you can get from Summit Racing or Amazon. Things to like: BIG wires, 14 gauge throughout. Probably overkill. All the connections look pretty well made, and they actually give you more than enough wire. Things to not like: Horrible yellow sheath, that needs to go right off the bat:

Re-sheathed in proper black split loom.
Also, the relays themselves are a weird 4-pin type, two parallel rows of prongs, not the normal automotive type of relay. But they work. If/when they don't it's going to be a PITA to find replacements. No fuse is included, but really should be. Other than those points, I like. So let's get on with the install.

First off, look at these dinky wires:

That's the same size as the turn signals. Literally. And too small in my not-an-electrical-engineer opinion.

That looks more like something you'd feed a headlight with. Bueno.

The harness is pretty much plug & play, but I changed out the main feed for a 12-ga wire with a 30A fuse. Fuse is not included in the kit, but should be. Here's ashot of the install:

Dodge even gives you a bracket to hang the relays from. Relays feed off the jumper terminal, after I cut the cover so the wire could go thru. Safety Police would say to disconnect the battery first. Maybe I did and maybe I didn't. Either way the car didn't burn up. Fuse is the last thing to get plugged in. Headlights ground at the fender-to-core-support screws. I stacked a couple 1/4 inch washers in there so the little grounding rings wouldn't get smashed flat, and slobbered the ground with carbon conductive grease.

The longest part of the install is cutting the yellow sheath off. After that it pretty much fell into place, maybe 30 minutes start to finish. And after all that:

Okay, still a little brownish, but there's a hell of a lot more light coming out. I had a choice between working in the dark and getting a good test, or seeing what I was doing and testing later. I'll test later. Initial impression is that it's worth doing, though.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Napa BULBS are better and 3 YEAR warranty, Bright as hell and 100% legal and WORK !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,324 Posts
I changed the Basic Bulbs in my 2011 Challenger SXT to the SYLVANIA SilverStar ULTRA High Performance Halogen Fog Light/Headlight Bulbs they are way brighter than the standard Bulbs lot whiter and no mods were required. I was going to go to the ZXE's but no need to the improvement was already 100% better.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Silverstar Ultra is what I have in it in the first pic. Interesting that you got results and I didn't until I put the relays in.

LATE EDIT: Holy crap, my eyes! There's MUCH more light now, enough that the headlights are actually usable as headlights. I do have error codes, "L/R headlight circuit high." Ain't care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts