Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
Yes, in Uconnect. Something like controls, lights, then check daytime running lights.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
yeah, select accessories and daytime running lights, what 'Slidd' said ,
its cool !
Only daytime running lights I likeee
have a good one !

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,475 Posts
Make sure your parking brake is off when you check to see if they work. No DRLs with parking brake or headlights on, or engine off. Your's could already be on ;)

A Guy

Reactions: Pioneer4x4

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,384 Posts
Make sure your parking brake is off when you check to see if they work. ...
This caught me when I first tried to show a neighbor.

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
This also caught the dealer techs who worked for almost 2 hours trying to get mine to work lol.

That was a 2014 that needed the dealer to turn on.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,472 Posts
This also caught the dealer techs who worked for almost 2 hours trying to get mine to work lol.

That was a 2014 that needed the dealer to turn on.

I have seen an astonishing number of posts here and on the Charger Forum that mention the respective dealership service department making this mistake during a customer-requested DRL activation. That short-circuits my brain!

I mean, how...

Well, why...

But, if...

N/m, just the simple act of trying to express how dumbfounded some techs’ apparent ineptitude is has given me a migraine, and I need to lay down...?

·
Premium Member
8,472 Posts
Is it something that can be programmed thru the U-connect screen ?
Thanks
Here’s an anecdote to share at the dinner table this evening: I first saw/read your member name, @moparleo, in my email inbox from the notification email about the new thread, then I saw/read it again when I pulled up the thread last night to read through it, and then once more when I pulled it up again a bit ago to post my previous reply to @Slidd’s post.

And yet, it was not until just now that I saw/read @moparleo and realized I have been (mentally) mispronouncing it each time I read it. I realize now that you are Mopar Leo.

Up until just now, I thought you were Mo Parleo.

My apologies, sir ?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,475 Posts
No need to apologize for what's in your head...

A Guy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys for your help. This my first foray into modern computer electronics. I retired as a store manager from Firestone 10 years ago and didn't like the newer stuff then. I grew up in the 60's-70-s and did Everything myself( except bodywork). My newest other car is an 06 Magnum R/T. Want help on 60's-70-s Mopars and I am your man.
MoparLeo
I have a Door hinge rebuilding service for the classic Mopars. I am well known in that field. google me there.
:alien:

·
Premium Member
8,472 Posts
No need to apologize for what's in your head...

A Guy
You have no idea how much I wish that were true. But it’s not...it can’t be. I cannot be forgiven for the things I think. To do so would be an affront to God himself!

No, I’m afraid the only right and just way to deal with the horrid things I’ve got amassed in my head is to make me redemptive for my transgressions...mental as well as physical.

I didn’t mean to spend an hour contemplating what would happen if we were forced to consume ourselves, all in one sitting, but I did anyway. What’s worse, I still cannot decide whether we would end up twice as big as before or disappear completely forever....

I don’t want to live in a world where that kind of thinking is tolerated. People who think like that should be sought out, hunted down, and dispatched...dipatched with extreme prejudice!!

·
Premium Member
8,472 Posts
Thank you guys for your help. This my first foray into modern computer electronics. I retired as a store manager from Firestone 10 years ago and didn't like the newer stuff then. I grew up in the 60's-70-s and did Everything myself( except bodywork). My newest other car is an 06 Magnum R/T. Want help on 60's-70-s Mopars and I am your man.
MoparLeo
I have a Door hinge rebuilding service for the classic Mopars. I am well known in that field. google me there.
:alien:
I can somewhat relate, although in the interest of full disclosure I will say I have gone over to the dark side now with respects to my preferred method of vehicle controls (mechanical versus computerized).

I was born a little late to grow up in the 60s-70s, but I was born just right to be able to enjoy the engines and vehicles manufactured in those decades (after they had been wrecked enough times or ragged on hard enough to finally make them affordable to someone with my limited, high school-era budget constraints).

I spent many an evening and lots of nights turning (standard!) wrenches on mine and my buddies’ vehicles. By the time I entered college, I knew enough about Chevys to be able to rebuild a SBC from scratch, and I knew enough about Fords to avoid working on them if at all possible. I didn’t have much exposure to Mopar back then, that was for the rich kids :p

By the time I graduated college, carbed engines were getting scarce, throttle bodied ones were everywhere, and EFI was on all the new stuff, which I still didn’t have enough money to worry about.

Even as late as 5 years after college, I was only up to a Vortec 350 in my DD vehicle. It was much advanced over a carbed engine, but still far from the multi port fuel injection systems coming off the new car assembly lines.

I knew I would eventually being dragged, kicking and screaming, into the computer controlled age for sure, but I wasn’t going to go quietly or without putting up a fight! ?

All that changed in 2011 with the purchase of my first new car, which was also my first Dodge. I wanted to work on that Challenger and do all the maintenance myself, but it was nothing resembling what I grew up working in, and certainly intimidated me with the constant need to use a computer of some sort just to deal with it.

I eventually bought a handheld tuner for it to be able to read DTCs and do little changes like correct the tire size when going beyond OE specs. And slowly but surely I began to read up on how I could use that tuner to obtain the information I wanted from the vehicle or make the changes to the engine’s operating parameters that I needed.

The turning point was when i learned how to generate the datalogs from the engine while doing WOT runs (0-60, 0-100, etc). The wealth of information they made available was like winning the lottery. All those years prior when I had to guess and listen and sniff and feel, just to figure out if some engine mod had done anything for it, they suddenly seemed like cave paintings during a wooly mammoth hunt.

Who wants to mess with that when you can have yourself a real-time printout of whats going on inside the engine as well as how efficiently it’s using your last mod?!? Not me, not anymore! ?

Anyway, I‘ll knock it off, I ain’t trying to convert you. I just wanted to chime in with a story that had a happy ending. I used to curse the mothers of the engineers that design my car’s internals. Now I would send them flowers and a fruit basket every year, once they dropped the restraining orders against me that is. :cautious:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree on the engine management side it is no doubt performance heaven but on the computer fed sensor side of the other systems I still have my doubts as there is very little actual diagnostic work done any more. No one knows how. Just like you don't need to know much more than basic math as long as you have a electronic calculator or tablet. That was the biggest problem we (automotive repair businesses) had was finding a capable diagnostic technician who didn't just guess and throw parts at a problem until it was fixed. My latest case in point as a customer( a rare feeling as I always have done my own maintenance and repairs ) My 06 Magnum R/T suffered a valve train failure ( known defect with valve seats on 5.7 Gen III coming loose on the heads ). Purchased an updated reman 5.7 that required an authorized (by them) installation center to maintain their warranty. I had the engine installed and now had all of the brake system lights on. Brake, ABS, Traction control etc.. Installer spent 2 days trying to diagnose problem, no luck. Bit the bullet and did something that I always told my customers never to do, went to the dealer. Thinking (hoping) that they had a qualified diagnostic tech and Mopar specific tools for the job. I pulled the codes which were ABS codes but nothing more specific and told them the code numbers and what they read. I hoped they would actually diagnose the system especially for their $160.00 diagnostic charge. The next day they called and said that it needed a new abs module $600.00 and $300. to install. This was based on just pulling the codes, no diagnostic work. I paid and left. I found out one of my hinge customers had a good old school diagnostic tech who promised that he could find the problem in 2 hrs or less or n/c. Well 1 1/2 hrs later he tells me it turned out to be a blown $10.00 fuse in the abs system. Replaced it and no lights for 2 years now. It takes special people to do certain types of work. I am not an electronics guy. I had a saying posted on the wall in my shop that read " Do what you do, Don't do what you don't do" Words to live by.
Leo

·
Premium Member
8,472 Posts
I agree on the engine management side it is no doubt performance heaven but on the computer fed sensor side of the other systems I still have my doubts as there is very little actual diagnostic work done any more. No one knows how. Just like you don't need to know much more than basic math as long as you have a electronic calculator or tablet. That was the biggest problem we (automotive repair businesses) had was finding a capable diagnostic technician who didn't just guess and throw parts at a problem until it was fixed. My latest case in point as a customer( a rare feeling as I always have done my own maintenance and repairs ) My 06 Magnum R/T suffered a valve train failure ( known defect with valve seats on 5.7 Gen III coming loose on the heads ). Purchased an updated reman 5.7 that required an authorized (by them) installation center to maintain their warranty. I had the engine installed and now had all of the brake system lights on. Brake, ABS, Traction control etc.. Installer spent 2 days trying to diagnose problem, no luck. Bit the bullet and did something that I always told my customers never to do, went to the dealer. Thinking (hoping) that they had a qualified diagnostic tech and Mopar specific tools for the job. I pulled the codes which were ABS codes but nothing more specific and told them the code numbers and what they read. I hoped they would actually diagnose the system especially for their $160.00 diagnostic charge. The next day they called and said that it needed a new abs module $600.00 and $300. to install. This was based on just pulling the codes, no diagnostic work. I paid and left. I found out one of my hinge customers had a good old school diagnostic tech who promised that he could find the problem in 2 hrs or less or n/c. Well 1 1/2 hrs later he tells me it turned out to be a blown $10.00 fuse in the abs system. Replaced it and no lights for 2 years now. It takes special people to do certain types of work. I am not an electronics guy. I had a saying posted on the wall in my shop that read " Do what you do, Don't do what you don't do" Words to live by.
Leo
I hear ya...

You’re putting it down, I’m picking it up...

You’re priming it, I’m painting it...

The factory head unit blinked off in my Charger and as a result I lost the ability to control the HVAC system (temp, direction, AND source). Throw in the loss of any access to safety, security, audio, and video configuration settings, and you have one seriously mal-designed automobile interface IMO.

But that’s always been the case it seems like...my 81 Camaro had black vinyl seats, no a/c (not installed, period), crank windows, and door handles (inside and out) that only wished they had the strength and durability of a match stick.

I‘m always going to choose vehicles that have built in flaws, it’s my lot in life I think. I’ve just steeled myself to expect unexplainable breakages and try to learn how to fix whatever that breaks, and ignore/endure the stuff I can’t fix or pay to have fixed.

After all, it could always be worse...I could be driving a Range Rover! ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts